Christian

The Weather Thread #9

1 hour ago, Luvachicken said:

Really hot on my arm with 3 massive waterproof dressings covering my stitches and the tablets I'm on making me even sleepier in the heat.

I have got my smallest clothes on possible but I am still too hot.

Roll on next week when I can take the dressings off :dance:

Oh no! I was wondering how you were getting on with your shoulder.

You should get one of those skimpy dressed men that fan you all day and feed you grapes!

Much more pleasant today - also a good drenching during the night and at one point howling wind!  There are huge puddles around - had to look them up because I'd forgotten what they looked like!  

Sunny and very breezy at the moment - can imagine being by the coast!  Clouds have been building but they are moving very fast.  

So nice not to have sweaty eyelids!  And same goes for pretty much everywhere else!  I can breeeeeeeeeeathe!  Hayfever reared it's naughty head but a few snorts and it's easing off.

Did have some more rain 🌧 overnight and have had some serious showers this morning. 11 hours of heavy rain forecast tonight / tomorrow before back to warm and dry. The grounds so hard we’re worried it’ll all just run off and flood everywhere.

On the plus side my waterbutts are cleaned out and ready!

On 27/07/2018 at 4:52 PM, Cat tails said:

You should get one of those skimpy dressed men that fan you all day and feed you grapes!

Yes, I could really do with one of those :-D

All going well so far though and so nice to wake up and see some rain and feel a bit cooler :dance:

Grey and windy at the moment with gentle drizzle.

My mother is very happy now that her overflow water butts have also filled - that was some rain session!  The grass does look greener, but it looks like it'll be back to the hot stuff again.  Was warm again today, thankfully some nice little clouds and a breeze for some relief!

Hopefully by next Tuesday or Wednesday it will be cooler again............still no rain forecast for us in Oxfordshire. I've had to 'let some plants go' as I just can't water them all with enough to keep them going. Mainly the thymes,rosemary and lavender that were getting woody anyway. The water butt is exhausted...again! As am I, coincidentally!

Apparently Spain and Portugal are heading for record soaring temperatures.  Aunty Beeb said it was the hot weather in Europe that is pushing some of the heat in this direction.  Would like it a few degrees lower though.  Certainly hot and at midday there was no wind at all.  The odd breeze now thank goodness.

Well we haven't had the absolute terrible heights of 47 yet, but it has been 44.something, further south than us.  Our local weather station has been 41.5, and the local city has been 42.something which is a record for round here.  However, its very cloudy, so we haven't had the scorchio sun at full blast, which probably explains it.  But the worst news,for us, is that for the past 2 nights our local weather station (10 miles away) has recorded the highest overnight temperatures in Portugal - ie 31 at 3am this morning, and 35 at 9am.  Its getting progressively worse each day, and even our cool downstairs (no a/c, just metre thick stone walls) is no longer cool.  We had a fan on last night, which we have only done a couple of times in the past 5 years, and I think we are going to switch it on downstairs as well.  Unpleasant!

Well luckily I don't have chooks out here.  We travel too much to make it feasible, plus after the first summer I didn't think I could cope mentally as the heat puts a massive strain on them as you can imagine, and it would distress me.  I couldn't possibly keep anything like my orps, although the polands would be OK but they don't exist over here, so I would probably go for naked necks which are quite well adapted.  The locals keep their birds in much of the time with a bit of outside yard.  If they are lucky its a stone building which is cool, otherwise its a breeze block construction, which is shady, but not that cool.

Anyway, with the house, I think its just cumulative, we can't open doors or windows as that would just let the heat in, so the combined body heat of us, plus life going on (kettles, cooker, showers etc), means that the heat generated inside isn't escaping.  You do get used to it, but its not great.  Apparently it was 41.5 at midday at the weather station.

The hottest temp in Portugal yesterday was 46 point somethingO.o

Luckily it remained 41 10 miles away and 38 under our table.  At 6.45am today it was 28 indoors and 30 outside, I have a couple of windows open for a short burst of air exchange before battening down again and returning to a murky indoor world.  But hurrah - 43 forecast today, 40 tomoz, then I'm going to need my cardy - 30 on Tues and 28 on Weds:D