Claireabella

Secondment

Hi all, I haven't been on for a while so I hope everyone is well :D

I'm in need of some omleteer advice! I interviewed for a job last week, still in the department where I work but for a full time (and better paid) position. I had a chat with my line manager yesterday (who is really supportive) and found out that someone else was slightly better qualified and had more experience than me, so I didn't get the position this time. Well that was absolutely fine with me, I hadn't had an interview for five years so it was worth applying, even to refresh my interview skills and I did think I was punching a bit above my weight to be honest. However, he has now offered me a secondment (with the same job spec) to cover maternity leave and I don't know what to do! I could stay in my part time (rather comfortable) position or accept the secondment with the risk that I would have to drop back down to my original position/ pay (which I think might be soul destroying). I'm also having a slight crisis of confidence now, wondering if I can actually DO the job after all :anxious:

Help!!

I would say go for that secondment - you really have nothing to lose and lots to gain! Your boss wouldn't have offered it if they had any doubts about your ability to do it and you'll get to try it before you have to decide if it's really for you :D

Enjoy the new experience and pay while you can, and you can see if it can lead to anything permanent - if you want it to. Worst that could happen is that you go back to what you are doing with an enhanced cv and the experience to apply elsewhere, and it could end up as a permanent position doing something new and exciting.

Go for it :dance: !

My advice is exactly the same; in these difficult days this is a golden opportunity to experience something new, show what you can do, boast about it on your CV, and I would seize it with both hands! Don't let the fact you didn't get the job erode your self confidence, as DC says, your boss would not have offered you the chance if he didn't think you could do it. In fact, its the ultimate compliment :D

Me three!!!

Yes it's a bit scary, but of course you can do it and your boss clearly thinks so too. Yes it will be difficult to drop back down (in fact I'm in that exact position except my substantive post is full time) but always keep in mind that you'll be doing that - and you never know what could happen - you may end up getting to keep it.

PLEASE take it - good luck :)

Definitely take it. You've got nothing to lose - if a permanent role is available in again in future, you'll have the experience which might make all the difference. The person you're covering for might not want to come back full time, there might be a job share opportunity or something else on the horizon.

I agree with the others, take it! prove to them what you can do. If your secondment ends for whatever reason look at it as a good form of self development and add it to your CV.

I am currently on secondment :D I love my new job, didn't really fit with my old, although for same 'company' I am now in a different department/line manager.

I am on two pay bands higher now than my substantive role so like you I had to think hard about how to proceed as this all happened as I was losing my dad too, however I think as long as you do not become reliant on the extra money and see it as a bonus for a short while it will work out. If then it becomes permanent all the better. :D Good Luck and most importantly, enjoy it!

Grab this new opportunity its you never know where it may take you. It is good to stretch your comfort zone from time to time. I grabbed a new opportunity about three years ago and even today my comfort zone got a bit too stretched for my liking but I have learned some more and lived to tell the tale. A little bit of adrenaline makes you feel alive.

Thanks ever so much, you've all helped to make my mind up and I'm going to accept the offer tomorrow :anxious:

I would say it is a self confidence thing and as I didn't really expect to get the post I originally applied for, I was taken by total surprise by the offer of a secondment. The job is going to stretch me far beyond my comfort zone and I'm a little anxious about it but it is a great opportunity and like you've all said, I've got nothing to lose and some good experience to gain! Aargh, I'm so nervous! :lol::anxious: