little Red Hen

ANTI-eglu encounter

Hi, I recently bought an eglu after much thought and convincing Mrs Henpecked that it was a good idea. Unlike a lot of people who make judgement quickly about this new age yuppie chicken house (yep, that's what one poultry supplier called it!) I had an Ark for 2 years prior to purchase. I only keep 3 hens in my garden for enjoyment, and this was under constant attack from foxes - both the run and the ark itself, where one fox ripped the side shiplap panel of with its teeth (RIP Clucky!) Then there was the redmite! we spent fortunes on sprays, powder etc. which they seemed to love, and cleaned it even before it had a chance to get dirty. Nothing worked.My inlaws, who kindly look after the hens when we are away, even began to turn down there hospitality, because of the mites. that, and the fact that the Ark was just too big to put in any car, so had to be carted around on the roof, like something out of the hillbilly's. Result, one week later, no mites! and no nightly battle with foxes. money well spent! Mark 2 Eglu much bigger as well could get 4 in there!!! :lol:

I know that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I wonder why anti eglu people feel it's okay to be so rude? :shock:

By all means debate the subject, this is how we learn.... but I find the anti-egluists are very often zealots...sneering and making snidey comments and believing that my choice of chicken housing somehow denotes my class :?

I'm not a yuppy, I'm not trendy, In no way could I ever be considered posh, I'm certainly not rich.

I keep a few chooks in an urban garden and (having tried a wooden coop before), I keep them in the most practicle, appropriate housing available.

I have a wooden house for the ex-batts and an eglu for the omlet girls. I much prefer the eglu but, with the help of aubiose, have not found the wooden house as bad to look after as some people seem to think it is.

Anyway, I have at last been brave enough to let the girls mingle and I am now waiting to see which turns out to be the preferred house from the chickens' point of view.

The ex-batts started laying in the eglu nest box almost straight away but after nearly 2 weeks they all still return to their original homes to roost.

I am sure Petula would happily bed down with the omlet girls but Cluck, the self-appointed head girl, is still aiming sharp pecks at the brownies whenever she can, so I think Petula is too scared to try.

Will let you know if the eglu wins - more ammunition against the eglu bashers....

I love Marmite and Peanut butter sarnies. And I love Marmite on my toast when I have scrambled eggs. Especially when I've put cheese in the scrambled eggs. Mind you the scrambled eggs have to be really firm - I just can't stand runny scrambled eggs. Or Omlettes that are runny. But if they are firm with mushrooms and cheese that's just great.

And Eglus are great, like Marmite and Peanut butter butties.

I wonder if chickens like Marmite? I'm going to try mine tomorrow with Marmite on their pasta. I give them fusilli as they seem to like that. Al dente of course.

I love Marmite and Peanut butter sarnies. And I love Marmite on my toast when I have scrambled eggs. Especially when I've put cheese in the scrambled eggs. Mind you the scrambled eggs have to be really firm - I just can't stand runny scrambled eggs. Or Omlettes that are runny. But if they are firm with mushrooms and cheese that's just great.

And Eglus are great, like Marmite and Peanut butter butties.

I wonder if chickens like Marmite? I'm going to try mine tomorrow with Marmite on their pasta. I give them fusilli as they seem to like that. Al dente of course.

and

Al dente

or I suppose Al beaky.

That would be a good name for a cockeral - my name is Alastair Beaky but you can call me Al.

Keep taking the tablets Richard..... :roll::lol:

I was speaking to a breeder as I'm hoping to add in an additional chicken when I was asked where did I keep them? Awful silence and a huff.

Hi Little Red Hen

Could you give broad hint on where the breeder was please? I live in Old Windsor and will be getting hens next March, so I'm curious to know if its anyone near me.

Am happy for you to PM me if you don't want to post publicly.

Hazel