little Red Hen

ANTI-eglu encounter

I have been warned that there are some people who are anti-eglu and had my first experience of this today :( I was speaking to a breeder as I'm hoping to add in an additional chicken when I was asked where did I keep them? Awful silence and a huff. Well of course chickens aren't meant to be kept in plastic. The Eglus are small and can only really hold 2 chickens and they can't perch properly and he has heard of lots of chickens in eglus being ill where they have soft eggs that burst inside them AND the fox proof mesh isn't as fantastic as they make out! OH DEAR. :cry: Don't fancy another encounter with the anti if I can help it.

Oh dear, the anti's really can be very anti, can't they. I've had run ins with several in the past and all you have to do is remember that it's your choice of coop, not theirs. YOU'RE happy with your Eglu and your hens are happy and healthy too and that's all that matters. After all, it's only their opinion, isn't it.

Hmmm - my sister & her hubby are a bit anti - eglu / cube. He says that chickens have been kept in wooden houses for centuries - what's with the plastic now? I defend myslf by saying that I find the eglu & cube fantastic designs for me as they give me a piece of mind & they are easy to clean out, so get cleaned far more regularly than a wooden house would. I like the run being fox proof which is great if I am out or on holiday & with it being plastic, it minimises red mite infestations. Which since last June (touch wood) , I have never had. My girls are happy, healthy & laying over a year on. So I think I'll stick with my eglu's a nd cube thank you! He soon shuts up! :wink:

Each to their own of course, but there is no need to be rude - they could just say oh right - nice!

Funny eh?

Emma.x

How funny some people are!

I've had a couple of people raise their eyebrows as if to say "Oh, you're one of those people are you" but I think it is hilarious. They seemed to assume that because I own an eglu, I bought it on a whim in an attempt to be trendy :roll: Once I've bored them with my tales of chicken antics, eggs, health, poos etc etc etc they realise I take chicken-parenting ( :shock: ) very seriously and for some reason avoid raising the subject again! :lol::lol:

You're near me too - I phoned a local breeder when I was looking for chickens (actually not so local was near Reading I think and never went there!) and when I said I'd bought an eglu got the response 'hhmmph people that buy eglu's have more money than sense!).

I had to disagree with her and said it was a bargain on ebay and suits me just fine - I haven't got the time to be cleaning out wooden chicken coops which to get a good design one with a decent size run for 2 chickens were very close in price to an eglu!

Have heard there's a local breeder around here that is very ANTI-eglu cos he builds and sells his own wooden coups...

It seems to me that it's actually these snotty breeders who are the ones manking money out of the revival in chicken keeping among the likes of us 'more money than sense' eglu owners! They shouldn't complain, judging by the amount of new chickens the people on this forum seem to buy!!

I have had the odd anti Eglu comment, but have had lots of positives too.

My vet is so impressed that she is going to get one, & my breeder in Windsor says her loves them & only wished he had thought of the idea :lol:

He did say about the fox proof skirt having a weak point, but I told him that had been sorted out & he was really happy to hear it.

A few years ago, when I visited a breeder to choose my chooks and told them I was getting an Eglu (they had not long been out) they absolutely tore it apart! Being new to chook keeping then, I thought they must be right as they were much more experienced than me and I *chickened* out of buying an Eglu - bought a wooden one instead.

After gaining my confidence a bit, I eventually realised that I did want one and now have 2! They are much easier to clean and care for - and certainly the run that was on my wooden coop, had nothing like the fox resistant skirt on the eglu run!

I do wonder if it is sour grapes on the part of many breeders... not all, I know!

MH x

I think the Eglu is perfect for people who have never looked after chickens before and want to start with just two or three. And the fact that it is plastic surely doesn't matter at all, as the hens sit on wood and don't go near the sides or top.

I am surprised that criticisms always seem to be targeted at the Eglu, which is perfect, and not at the run, which I think is a bit on the small side. Ditto the cube!

And what else in this world can you leave out uncovered in all weathers, use every day, allow animals to poo all over, and still sell for nearly as much as you paid for it after two years?