Purplemaniacs

Poppy our black lab put to sleep

Today OH took Poppy to the vets as she became quite ill overnight.

She was 12 and had only started to look old in the last couple of months.

The vets said she had a womb infection and scepticaemia. Also her kidneys were not working very well at all.

I was on a school trip but during the day OH spoke to all three vets and they all thought that it was unlikely she would make it through an op. The lovely lady vet did not think she would survive being anaesthetised.

Poppy had been a bit under the weather for a few days but we did not realise how poorly she was until last night.

After school OH and I went to see her at the vets and to say goodbye. The vet was so kind letting us have some time with her and when we were ready we stayed with her. It was very quick and peaceful as she had a drip in.

It was so sad. She was such a lovely dog, very affectionate and placid.

I can only praise the vets as it was not our normal vet as they had a problem with their phone line so OH tried the other local one that friends recommended.

It is very odd with just Millie tonight.

Chrissie

I'm so sorry to hear about Poppy :(

She sounds like she was a lovely dog who lived to a good old age. Whatever age they go, it leaves a huge hole in your lives. I'm sure that Millie will be getting lots of extra cuddles.

Comforting for you to know that she passed peacefully with you by her side.

Sending love xx

Thank you all for your lovely messages. It is very strange without Poppy. I keep saying dogs and trying to put water out for her.

Youngest granddaughter who stays here a lot made me smile and nearly cry. She usually helps me to feed Millie in the morning. We fed Millie and then she starts calling Poppy. I said she wasn't here but she walked around the house looking for her and calling her name. Where is she she kept asking so I said she has gone to heaven. Granddaughter said I like heaven too. Granddaughter will be three in a months time. :D

Thanks again. I knew you would all understand.

Chrissie