Cinnamon

It's not always the Couriers...

Courier companies are not my favourites to deal with, but are a necessary evil as we are selling & sending so much stuff on eBay at the moment.

Just thought I would share what has happened today.....

Last night I had an email from Hermes who said they have attempted delivery of an item 3 times & it would now be returned to me with an admin cost of £4 charged. They gave me days & exact times of attempted delivery, so I immediately emailed the buyer & told him what had happened.

He said his wife was at home 24/7 with a broken foot, was downstairs all day & had neither had anyone attempt delivery nor had any cards saying delivery had been attempted through the door. He said that Couriers, being what they are, were notorious for falsifying delivery attempts, & for them to try to prove that they had been there.

So I phoned Hermes, who were really helpful & they called the courier in question, who said that the buyer had actually text messaged her (they got the number from the card she HAD left) saying they had been on holiday & could she re deliver the next day!!!

The Hermes customer service guy then checked the couriers GPS against her bar code scans to prove she had indeed attempted delivery when she said.

So the customer was lying through their teeth!

I am going to REALLY enjoy emailing them, I can tell you :lol:

IMO Hermes seem to be one of the better ones. It is a local girl who delivers and she gets 50p foe each delivery :shock: I wonder if they get anything for non delivery. It is certainly in the drivers interest to make sure item is delivered. Unlike other companies who must pay a wage and the drivers can be indifferent.

Is it possible the courier was attempting delivery to the wrong address?

A few months ago now I was waiting in for my meat box delivery, it was meant to be a morning delivery. It didn't arrive, so at 1pm I phoned the supplier. They said they'd investigate. They phoned me back to say that it had been left with my neighbour, and gave me the house number.

I explained that was a bit off as (a) I'd been in all morning and no one had called, and (b) the house number they'd been goven was a long way from me and was a flat, I couldn't understand why the courier would have gone all the way down the road, into a block which required them to get buzzed in, walk up the stairs, and leave the box with that neighbour.

Nonetheless, I agreed to go and ask. Of course there was no box. I checked all the flats in the block, and all the houses in between (where anyone answered the door).

I phoned the company back and explained. They checked again. The courier described the front door of the property he delivered to which didn't describe my door or the flat.. Eventually, it was agreed that the coureier would return and show me which house he'd delivered it to.

He was meant to be with me within 15 minutes, but it was about an hour before he arrived. When he knocked, he had my parcel in his hands.

He'd delivered it to a similarly named street in the next village.

My mum's at home with a broken leg, and the lady who delivered her Boden parcel (boredom + Internet shopping = bad) asked if she needed anything doing!

So no, they're definitely not all bad.

And Cinnamon, re your original post, that's really awful. The courier driver could have got into trouble over that. Not on.

I have had my share of this too. Our Hermes delivery driver is notorious for not putting his mobile number on the card, so there's no way of contacting them to arrange redelivery. Hermes central are hellish to try to get hold of.

When I worked on the Estate, they wouldn't buzz to get in and come to the Estate Office; they used to lob it over the farm gate, whereupon the parcel disappeared between the bars of the cattle grid, and into the foot or so of water under it :roll:

I'd love to know what the customer's reply is! I think we've all got bad courier experiences, but it's very unfair of the customer to try and set them up to take the blame.

WitchHazel, your story reminds me of something earlier this year. A colleague from an event that I'm involved in was supposed to be bringing round some silver trophies that were needed for the next day, she had to go out of her way to do it and I waited in. Eventually she texted to say that as I hasn't answered the door she'd left them in the porch.

I don't have a porch! My road changes name halfway along and sure enough she'd left them at the right number, wrong street. Luckily they were still outside the door so I didn't have to explain anything. She had a very bad five minutes waiting for me to confirm that they'd been retrieved safely.

Well I have a tale to tell about a courier service. Not Hermes or any that I've heard of. My neighbour ordered some garden furniture from a company operating in Essex. Day of delivery comes but nothing happened. Neighbour's husband works from home. No card left either. She calls company and they said that it had been delivered and signed for. Her hubby installed CCTV a few years ago and this time it came into good use. There was indeed a delivery van that stopped. The little bald man got out empty handed, leant against the front door and then walked off. He didn't knock - they don't have a doorbell. He didn't touch the door knocker either. They were able to see the delivery vehicle and it was definitely the same courier and therefore didn't deliver to the wrong address. So she reported back to the company who then chased the courier. This time a big New Zealand guy (who looked ready to perform a Haka) turned up and she was so scared because he looked so angry that she quickly signed, said her thanks and closed the door!

Hermes in my experience haven't been so bad. DX are not good though, as they were responsible for delivering my passport last year, and we had a card put through the letterbox saying we were not in to receive delivery, despite the fact my Dad was in at the time, with the windows open cleaning the house. Had he actually rung the doorbell and waited more than 10 seconds we would not have had to schedule redelivery. Even more confusingly we were left two delivery cards for the one item. Fortunately they do have an e-mail system where you can track your parcel, as otherwise we would have had to ring their very expensive phone no. to reschedule.

But sometimes it is the couriers!!!!

I have just bought a second hand tent from a forum and I arranged the courier. I chose parcel force as a company I had heard of so thought I'd get a good service. Today just after lunch I saw one of their vans come along - my house is rural and we can see the approach for nearly a mile. Anyway he pulled up behind the house and turned round so I assumed he was going to ask if we were the named house. We gets lots of enquiries and we're obviously home with two cars on a remote drive. Then he sped off and my delivery status online tonight shows delivery failed. :evil::evil: I'm mad to come two miles down a road and not try.