bluekarin

First time buyers

Black and white is his colour theme. He wants a black double bed, black computer desk, two walls black and two white, not sure on the carpet colour - I hope he is ok with a neutral colour and not black or white!

Realistically, he will only be living with us until Sept this year as he is off to uni then, and after uni I am pretty sure he won't want to come back home. He is very independent. I think he will come home for the uni holidays, though, and we want him to have his own space here just in case. Plus, his bedroom currently is the tiny box room, which he has had to make do with what will fit, so he is very keen to have 'his space'. I imagine he will have friends over quite a bit, as they will be able to fit in there! Plus we are a five min walk away from one of the school buildings he attends, though an extra 10 mins away from the main buildings.

I don't need to worry about him painting or s"Ooops, word censored!"ing the paint off anything else in the house thank god. He isnt proactive about things like that :wink:

We have Timeless on two walls of our hallway upstairs with Apple white opposite. We don't have it in any other rooms, but it definitely looks different in different lights. And at worst its inoffensive so you certainly won't hate it and can add what I think they call 'accents' of other colours to make things more interesting.

Our house looked so bad when it was empty and we took possession of it that it made me cry. It was filthy and needed WAY more work than we anticipated. But just over 18 months on and we are getting there!

Enjoy :D

I just wanted to say that not all people leave houses in a mess.

When we moved to this house it was almost spotless and the previous owners left us a beautiful vase of freesias and a card.

Nice people :D

Sadly though, when we moved out of our old house we'd run out of time to finish cleaning, the new owners came straight on in and started to clean the sink where I'd just cleaned :roll:

Then they pulled up all the carpets and ripped out the built in cupboards - so it did make me wonder why I'd cleaned anything. They must have made such a mess.

Mullethunter - I was almost the same when we went in. I think it didnt help it was a dark and dank day, so not at its best. But I really did think have we done the right thing? I know we have now, and we have a long road ahead. But we have plans and will do things in stages (we have 5 stages currently).

Its things like the bathroom which have clearly never seen Viakal! Its all super shiny now and ready to use. Well, would be if we didn't keep getting the wrong loo seat :roll: Hopefully have found the right one now :pray:

We had a card from the previous owner today which was a surprise. He was just telling us about things to do with the house which was quite sweet.

I do know that when we eventually move, I will make sure its cleaned, and there will be a card, flowers and a bottle of something fizzy for the new owners. It what I would love to see in a house I bought so I think someone else would appreciate it too.

:lol: I knew it! Boys! Mum can you get the cat hair out of my duvet when I visit? Get a beige one kiddo to match the fur and you won't notice it like on the black one!

My neighbour and previous owner scrubbed the place for me - they didn't want me to do it because I was about to pop with DD! Still wanted to do some for myself, but it wasn't so urgent - just did the kitchen drawers for cutlery and a quick wipe over the shelves.

Apple white was the colour we used in the tiny second bedroom of our first house. It was my favourite room really. I did my ironing in there and listened to my records. And that is the colour our current spare room is going to be when we get to it. Just love that colour.

I want to go green in our kitchen when we replace it. I've seen the perfect tiles on the Great Interior Design Challenge this year, and the only tiles I have seen which come close are these

https://www.tonsoftiles.co.uk/artiste-cotton-jade-wall-tiles-7-5x15cm.html

Sadly the designer of the kitchen has yet to get back to me, despite asking him on Facebook and Instagram :(

Those are from the tiny kitchen in the castle like house right? With the old man?

I really liked that kitchen. And that designer by the way!

My house hadn't been lived in for months before I got there. It's a rental house and the previous owners had left without notice and left behind their messy, mouldy house and lots of unpaid bills. Had to fight of the Dutch version of the Sheriffs for the first months... I literally just got the key and the water company was at the door with a toolbox trying to cut of my water since "I" hadn't paid for months... :shock:

Yes, that was the kitchen. Just looked so fresh and welcoming :D

That sounds awful Catstails, I hope you got it sorted quickly. Moving is stressful enough without it being added to.

I agree! Lovely kitchen! Especially since if was such a small narrow space.

All sorted now, although I keep receiving mail of the old renters. Luckily no bills anymore.

Have just watched some neighbours move in in the rain this afternoon; felt so sorry for them. Went to offer coffee but they said they were fine!

At least you offered :D

That was very neighbourly.

When we moved into this house, I met our new neighbours (we share a drive) and I said to him that he must be our new neighbour. He looked down his nose at me and said no, you are OUR new neighbours.

I've never felt welcome here :(

Oh thats horrible Luvachicken! I would have been inclined to say (though prob think of it much later) well you are new to us! :wink: Our new neighbour has offered to take down the fence between our two drives to make one large one, but we've said no as we need to be able to keep the dog fenced in. Plus, if we ever fell out, I could imagine all sorts of problems.

Thats nice to offer, Soapdragon, and even though they declined you can bet they will rememeber you for it.

New fridge and freezer ordered and hopefully being delivered next Monday. Our current one is on its way out, but has given us a good 10 years so not too gutted.

My oldest friend is coming over tomorrow to visit and is bringing a small bottle of fizz and pastries to celebrate and then we are going out for lunch :D

I vowed when we moved just before Christmas 10 years ago with an 11 year old 5 year 2 cats 2 rabbits and a fish tank the next time I moved it would be in a box :shock: We stupidly moved a lot of junk with us. Still boxes in garage we haven unpacked- one day.................. The animals were a doddle - the cats we left till nearly last and the rabbits were rehomed with their hutch first - a friend with a land rover did that for us. The fish I left till a chilly Sunday morning- I half emtied tank wrapped it in bubble wrap and sloshed home up the hills roads in Mill Hill and didnt lose any. We paid a woman to clean old house and I dont remember any nasty surprises in this one. When we moved into the old house the whirly carpet had dog fleas and mice seemed to move in - thats when we got cats. I am so glad id didnt have hens then as I think I might have had a breakdown. :lol:

Karin glad its coming together. :D

Hmmm sadly there are those sorts of people around that like to put you down Luv. There used to be someone like that here when we moved here. Always looked down their noses at us (carry on dear, I don't care) but they were really bad to my friend and neighbour who moved in a couple of years later. She's lovely but the "gentleman" across the road corrected everything she said or contradicted her - seemed to be a big game. She got quite distressed at one time. They don't live here now - he's in Australia and the wife lives in a little house round the corner - divorced. It's quite peaceful thankfully and my nice neighbour is happy again.

Hmmm sadly there are those sorts of people around that like to put you down Luv.

Never mind.

I have all my lovely chicken friends on here to make up for people like him :D

Bluekarin have you moved to Fleet by any chance ?

Some new people have moved in diagonally over the back from me and are busy sorting.

Whoever has moved in has finally pulled up the blinds and opened some windows.

Well, we are in the new house! Chaos reigns in box form, but we are in. The old house has been cleared of the treasures (junk) we accumulated over the 22 years living there. I just need to go back and give it a clean and a lick of paint in a couple of rooms, hand the keys back and we are done with it for good.

We are shattered, esp the husband. Family have been great, as has a friend, with the super heavy lifting, but it is still long dusty hours, but also funnily enough leaving us too tired to sleep :( Hopefully we shall get used to the sounds of the house and the road, but it is already much quieter and the neighbours have been very welcoming. Hopefully that will continue as we have a little boundary issue to chat about with one :|