bluekarin

First time buyers

Congratulations Bluekarin. Always a stressful time buying a house, but with a month overlap it should be far less so.

We've always built in an overlap, either with a bridging loan or extended rental, so that we can move a lot ourselves leaving just the heavy and awkward stuff for the professionals at the finish. We are now at the other end of the house scale to you and are moving to our 'last time buyers' house, giving ourselves a 3 month overlap in our rental, mainly to move all the chickens and their equipment! We move the chickens at night, putting them in dog cages for the trip and take the coops and runs apart and re-assemble them at the other end before dawn.

:dance::dance::dance: WOOT! Congratulations!

Oh covenant here but almost everyone in this cul-de-sac had already done things and altered things that aren't allowed and so I have the chooks - which are not livestock at all - they are pets with benefits. Or not as the little darlings are always on strike at this time of year. :lol:

We got our keys today! Visited the house with our girls, who thankfully can see the potential *phew* but boy does it need it need a good clean. Going there armed with Marigolds, bleach and carpet cleaner tomorrow to see if I can get something sparkling out of the gloom. The double oven has been left horribly dirty *vom*

But, its ours, and will be lovely in the end :D

:dance::dance::dance: Congratulations! Have fun but don't exhaust yourself with the scrubbing brush!

I have been very lucky with our houses (although the first one had a very bad DIY enthusiast that used car hose to join the water to the washing machine and one January it perished and we were flooded downstairs) and all fairly clean - but even so you still feel the need to clean it for yourself. A friend moved into her home and found doggy poop smeared all over one bedroom and under the carpet. :vom: Among other nasties. :shock:

So when you put her place against an icky cooker, well it's not so bad after all! :D

6 hours of cleaning today, or 12 if you include the hours my mum did as well, and we have barely scratched the surface. Mum has been tackling the downstairs loo, with her glasses off which is very wise :vom: whilst I have been bleaching the life out of the kitchen. Had a small drama when we first started as I was running the hot tap and getting really excited about having hot water (something we haven't had for many years - thank god for dishwashers and electric showers). I turned the tap off and though what is that noise? Then all the water started pouring out of the cupboard underneath :shock: It turns out when the washing machine and dishwasher were removed, they didn't cap off the outflow pipe :x Anyway, dad to the rescue and all ok now.

Met the neighbours on one side who seem very friendly, the ones on the other we have yet to meet and I am hoping the music I heard through the adjoining wall is a rare occurance. I think we may need to put in some soundproofing as I don't want our dog barking, or my playing music, to annoy them.

My dad sorted the front door out as it was very stiff and the lock barrel was a bit lose so I couldn't unlock it last night when we tried to leave :shock: All ok now though.

Our ds came round with his gf and he can't see through the decor and general state of the place. He would probably be happy in a new build with perfect clean lines (so would I right now :wink: ) but I hope he will like what we do with it. I wish the kids had come with us for some of our other viewings as some of them were truly disgusting, and some were titchy, and it might make them appreciate the space we have here.

Hubby started bringing round the boxes I'd packed, which gives us more space here to fill some more *yay*. Back there tomorrow to do more cleaning, before taking ed back to uni. I think I will have to do a day here cleaning and packing and a day there cleaning etc. I need two of me. Going to sleep well tonight Zzzzz

Good News on finally moving. Good luck with the cleaning-I remember when my sister and her OH moved in to their first house the other summer and there were similar issues. She spent hours hoovering to reveal a light blue carpet which was previously grey. Her friend decided to use the en-suite shower, to then find water coming through the downstairs ceiling-not her fault at all, it turned out there was a crack in outflow pipe, and in actual fact the tray wasn't sealed in properly either (When Dad investigated it there was even a tube of silicon sealant underneath the shower tray so it was clearly a known issue, but the surveyor didn't pick it up...Hmm...

I've never yet left a house dirty and never yet moved into a clean one. The last one made a great show of wafting round with a hoover whilst I was trying to get my stuff moved in, much to the annoyance of everyone, whilst leaving the inside of every kitchen cupboard thoroughly yucky :vom:

See it as part of the introduction process of getting to know your new home - sounds like it might be grateful for a little tlc :D

New loo seats bought, one is the wrong shape so needs exchanging. To fit it is a nightmare as its a loo that is fitted into a vanity unit,where the panel had been glued down. How on earth you are meant to get to the cistern I do not know.

De-limescaled the bathroom, and left it with extra on over night for the really tough bits. Forgot to do the drain cleaner down one basin which is a bit slow draining; mental note to do that tonight.

My dad and hubby took out a kitchen cupboard where we are going to put the side by side fridge and freezer, and also removed a silly circular breakfast bar and turned the cupboard underneath it around. It's made the kitchen look even bigger!

We bought the paint for the house yesterday as well as more cleaning supplies. I'm going for Dulux endurance in Timeless which is an off white and is meant to look slightly different in each room. We shall see.

More work to do today, plus actual money earning work, and fitting in an eye test for yd, and a dog walk somewhen! Still, ds has come around to an idea we've had about his bedroom (the one he was going to have as a temp measure will now be his room to decorate and design how he wants, and his gf will help him :D ) Phew! I was worried he would hate the house but we might be ok.

All fun and games eh! Black and red walls coming up in one room perhaps? I always promised to paint a mural on the ceiling of DS's bedroom like a porthole and a shark swimming in the sea above. Never did it - had a ceiling fan installed instea d because it got so hot in his room! Never mind, he had quite the bedsit going on in there eventually. And now it's mine all mine!

I think the idea of having your lad paint his own room is a terrific idea.

When my parents went on holiday leaving my brother to look after their house, they came back to a reddish-brown paint on a door which was their dining room - not impressed when they came back. He'd only mixed what he'd found in the garage up together (mum said that colour wasn't what she had in mind - and it wasn't even his bedroom). He also s"Ooops, word censored!"ed off the paint on the garage doors and left them without doing anything else. Dad said he came back home to find he had to do more work! :lol:

The great thing is you can potter and get it all sorted before moving in. :D