bluekarin

First time buyers

There is only a small step into the front door so if needs be we can do a small ramp. She can do short distances like from the car to indoors using crutches, but as we would like to stay put for a long time, and she might end up living with us, I want to make it suitable.

The area is a good one, and properties don't come up for sale very often. This one is smaller than its neighbours so not as much scope to develop further. We could potentially turn the conservatory into a two storey extension and create an ensuite off the bathroom to make the back bedroom the master. We could even potentially extend the kitchen out to the front to make it bigger there, but less likely to do that.

We have visited the area at night before we viewed inside and it seems quiet. The gardens all look well looked after.

Dh spoke to the broker earlier this evening and they will have a longer chat tomorrow. All seems to be moving at quite a pace now :shock: I think I may start on clearing junk, putting pictures away, and splashing some paint around to freshen some areas up. I also have some plants I want to take with us so this might be the right time to put them into pots.

I wonder if there are plans to build more houses over the back - which is why people may not want to buy? Otherwise it looks reasonable. This is something OH emailed to me - we thought it might be of use in the future - well it would have been near future but it's back burner again. It might shed some light on why previous buyers dropped out. I'm glad I kept the old email! Hope it's of some help to you.

http://moneytothemasses.com/quick-savings/tips/the-quick-way-to-find-your-dream-house-on-the-cheap

Thanks for that. Sadly I can't get it on my ipad, but I'll see if dh can put it on his pc. Im not sure if there have ever been plans to build behind it. Directly behind are peoples gardens and then its an old chalk quarry, which has public walks all over it. There is also a public right of way at the top, part of a longer walk.

We viewed a house on Saturday morning which if we didn't have the specific requirements we have would have been perfect. Sadly, not to be. However, we are seeing two more houses in the same street this weekend, so we shall see. They would be ideal for the next 5 years as they are close to both kids 6th forms, close to town. But they are in a street with limited parking and near the main road to Southampton. It was quiet in the garden of the house we looked at, but it was only 10am. The next ones we are seeing are at 1pm so should give us more of an indication of traffic noise.

We will do. We currently live near a main dual carriage way, a main railway track and under a flight path from a small local airfield, so we need somewhere a little quieter.

Had an email from the EA last night saying there is 'genuinely' a lot of interest in the house we want, and if we want to make an offer, sooner would be better. Not sure if this agent spin or really genuine. We are trying to get our mortgage sorted via a broker and once we have the MIP we can safely, or relativly safely make an subject to survey offer.

Don't let this news jump you into making an offer until and unless you are ready. I thought the house you posted pix of looked very nice, practical and very liveable straightaway. Don't under-estimate the cost of extensions etc, the building trade Is usually very vibrant and things aren't cheap. Being in the location you want is key, and the value of a 'good' address will only become more, it won't decline unless something drastic happens like a massive building programme, new road etc.

We viewed a house earlier this week and booked in asecond viewing for yesterday with my dad (hes a joiner, now retired, but did the work in their house). We loved it first viewing but during the second one we could see there would be a lot to do just to make it work. It is also up a big hill and whilst not a busy line its still near the traintrack. Parking is also not great and we would have to decide between extension or off road parking.

When I told my dad about the one we wanted him to view with us, he told us of one near them thats just come on tne market, which we are now viewing in the morning. The details have only just gone online, we will be the first to view it, and it will go really fast. It does need redecorating, but it has an extension already, plus nearly all the rooms we need. It has a large bedroom at the front with two windows which we could turn into two singles for the girls. It does have a north west facing garden, but I am willing to make that my compromise. We shall see what its like in the morning.

Strangest house viewing yet. The owner was there as he had just done a night shift and was about to go to bed :shock: Not sure why he didnt tell the EA for us to come later in the day.

Anyway, the house is really good, and just what we have been looking for. Has the rooms we need, in the location hubby was after and has off road parking. The garden is nw facing, and it has a small orchard at the end of the garden. We can also watch the rugby being played in the field over the fence :lol: The orchard will sadly have to go as thats where the majority of the sun is during the day. The pitches behind are also flood lit so we will have to put up with that, esp in the winter months. Inside just needs walls stripping and repainting and recarpeting throughout.

Just waiting to hear back from the mortgage broker to see if we can have a MIP and then we will know if we can go with a full asking price offer :anxious:

Well, erm, we seem to have a MIP and have had our offer accepted on the house! Its been taken off the market and no other people are allowed to view it :shock::shock:

It was a little tense (ie extremely for hubby getting various documents sorted with the accountant and the broker) but all sorted and we are now the potential proud owners of our very own first ever home :D No rush to move as the owners need to find their own home (sadly a divorce situation), and we are in no real rush though it would be nice to move in. Its all gone a little fast so far, though I am sure things will slow down, until the final hurdle.

Yahayy get a list which I think is the norm for anything hes leaving. When we got our house the elderly Jewish couple who were I think quite well off asked if we wanted to buy any of the stuff they were selling. Got some nice garden furniture, lovely kitchen table and chairs and some nice night fittings.They were good quality too nice to leave for the skip and Italian so unusual. Got some lovely garden pots an urn which had been in Star Wars film and a pitchfork! Also our fireplace had been in a film but not sure which. Film stuff was his job. Sometimes things are left and included other times if they are downsizing you can negotiate a price.

Congratulations :D

Yes, things are likely to slow down considerably now so you can take a breather. In our experience a lot of stuff happens between solicitors that you don't see or initially understand (made me very uneasy because I didn't feel in control - that might just be me though), but at the end you get a house!

Still can't quite believe it! Hubby keeps saying "we've bought a house!" :lol: I keep reminding him it can all fall through at the last minute. I won't believe we have it until we have the keys and are in there.

Ali, there is nothing I want to keep from the house. It would be easier if they took everything tbh. We have so much stuff here that we will need the space. I have screenshotted rooms in houses we have seen and liked during our viewings, so I can get across to dh what look and feel I am going for. Thankfully he is in agreement.

I shall start a new post in the gardening section when the time comes, for ideas for the garden. Its nw facing, and I think closest to the house we will just do a large patio, but with pockets for planting and as we go up the garden, start having a lawn. There is a pergola there already with some sort of vine trailing plant on it. It also has a Tardis door on the front :shock:

So many plans and ideas; can't wait :dance:

Have been reading your posts with interest. Keeping everything crossed for you that it all goes smoothly. I was an Estate Agent for over 20 years and moving is in my DNA. lol. We have currently been in our current place for nearly 5 years and I have itchy feet again. When we moved here we were seduced by the 3 acres and 2 lakes plus stables and barns and 4 garages. Yes - even an Estate Agent can get seduced. Haha . Now I want slightly less garden and a house, not a bungalow preferably period, so I can indulge in my favourite pastime of visiting auctions and making purchases. The only problem is - I am having trouble persuading the other half. He says (quite rightly), that I would move every year if he would let me. The trouble is that coming from Yorkshire to Lincolnshire the property is so much cheaper and I keep seeing things which are an absolute bargain which we would never be able to afford back in Yorkshire.

As folks have previously said - don't let the survey concern you too much. Depending on which survey you have, the Surveyors tend to list the blindingly obvious usch as decor, electrics etc. The electrics regulations change every 2 years so even if it was rewired two years ago the survey would still say they need testing etc. It does not mean it needs a total rewire. Good luck with your exciting new home.x

Saw our solicitor today and they have all the ID they need. A really nice lady who seems down to earth, but I don't think I'd want to get on the wrong side of her :o Now its just a waiting game until the vendors get their documents and forms filled in. We need to get a letter to show part of the deposit is a gift, so we shall sort that out soon.

I have started telling my close friends now, with strict instructions not to say anything on FB as I am friends with our LL's ex. They are all pleased for us, but it will be weird not being here. We moved in the year before we got married, have had many many parties here, our kids have only ever known here, as have our pets. One friend said I'll need to retune my legs - I imagine I'll end up here more than once by accident :roll:

How exciting :D

I have a NW (more North) garden and it's not so bad.

Summer bedding lasts longer and the sun in the afternoons is fab - or would be if my garden wasn't so short and blotted out by next doors massive pine trees :roll:

Can't wait to see some photos when it is all signed, sealed and belongs to you :D