Egluntyne

Confirmed Bird Flu - Lincs, Wales now Leicestershire & Yorks

Does anyone know what the symptoms are?

I was wondering how I would know if my hens were infected?

I have kept them in my covered run since Tuesday when I heard about the 30 days but there is nothing to say that the infection wasn't already in the wild birds before then so I wondered if anyone knew what I am looking for?

Sorry if I am being OTT but I want to be sure that my girls are OK.

Flowerpot

I have friends, including a farmer and a biologist in Sweden who have hens. They had an outbreak there - although quite a way from where they live. Interestingly they've not had any government/similar instructions at all and aren't keeping their hens in.

On symptoms - apparently this strain is very harsh - if your bird is alive after 24 hours - the symptoms aren't bird flu

It's mostlikely not a resistance but an immunity to the flu, those birds might have. Like getting the flu jab. You don't pass that on to your kids either.

The trouble with Influenza is that it evolves incredibly quickly. The flu at the end of the winter season is often quite different from the one at the beginning and so you can even get the flu more times in a season.

Inoculating birds against the H5 strains is rather pointless as you would have to do it very often. And making one takes some time. In that time the flu has evolved further and sometimes makes the inoculation pointless.

their culled because they're possible carriers of the pathogen and as said flu mutates to quickly to effectively vaccinate against plus there's all the resistance to vaccines and antibiotics in humans that has to be considered.

this strain is not the same as the one in UK in 2015 the last time We had bird flu in the UK

their culled because they're possible carriers of the pathogen and as said flu mutates to quickly to effectively vaccinate against plus there's all the resistance to vaccines and antibiotics in humans that has to be considered.

this strain is not the same as the one in UK in 2015 the last time We had bird flu in the UK

You can't develop resistance to vaccines... only bacteria can become resistant to antibiotics. Which are ineffective against viruses.

Hi

Thank you for the previous info on symptoms I have looked it up so i now am keeping my eye on my girls in a more informed way!

Here is my next daft question!

When you put the sanitizing powder down does that affect the hens?

I have hard wood chippings down for them which I change every month, then sanitize and then lay clean ones - poo clearing every day as best I can to keep them generally clean and do a major clean at the end of the month. In the summer I have usually swept up the powder after putting it down so that there is a clean base for the fresh chippings.

I have always worried if the powder is left down then the hens might ingest it - or do you sweep it up again once it has been put down? The trouble is that in this weather the ground is wet so it will not sweep up easily. I am concerned that my girls may be affected by the powder.

Thanks

Flowerpot

That's really worrying. If it's got as far as Wales we have to assume it could be anywhere across the UK now.

That's what I was just thinking.

Does anyone know whereabouts in Wales the duck was found? I'm just across the channel, so if it was in south Wales, then I'm a little bit concerned.

Llanelli I think, Andy.

I think we can assume that it is possibly in a few areas of the UK; it is inevitable really. All we can do is sit tight, take all the necessary precautions and let it steer it's course. The strains around this time aren't likely to spread to humans, unless we take to sharing our homes with chickens, or kissing them :roll: . The worst that can happen would be that someone's backyard flock caught it and then had to be culled. Not much compared with the poor farmers who are facing ruin.

I am speechless; the park at the bottom of our road has a large aviary, with a roof that's mesh, with a couple of covered areas. A couple of weeks into the prevention order, I gave the town council a ring to advise them that it needed to be covered. It is still open mesh :roll::evil: wild birds are able to get into the aviary and eat the caged birds' food.

I have emailed them again.