Egluntyne

Confirmed Bird Flu - Lincs, Wales now Leicestershire & Yorks

if it's anything like a few shoots up by the M6 M42 jnc. then there's always a few left at the end of the season. a few years back there was a white Pheasant about along the fence line for a couple of years and you'd the normal ones in the fields out by the colliery most of the year

More roadkill pheasants around here than bagged! :lol:

Still quite a lot around though. I haven't heard the Canada geese for months now. Maybe they had a culling session - they tend to do something because they get really loud and then for several months it's silence then they start building up over the years.

My honeysuckle is shooting out already so I wonder if we'll be getting an early spring this year. If so then perhaps the migrating birds will do so much sooner too - even song birds.

I forgot to mention the mouse! Very funny - I know what that's like so visualised it very well. :lol:

Yes, no connection confirmed as yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was carried by wild birds from the other farn.

surely there's no poultry left at the first farm but more importantly how did this new one get infected if it's birds are under cover?

Wild birds, mice, bats, even fresh air coming into a barn. Virusses aren't like bacteria. They aren't living things like bacteria and very difficult to destroy/kill. A disinfectant won't necessarily kill them. The most you can do is wash them away. They can infect through air over short distances too. So air coming into the barn might carry the virus particles.

It is extremely difficult for farmers to exclude all threats. The most you can do is eliminate the biggest threats, like direct contact with wild birds etc.

On a complete different note, something that has been bugging me for some time.

I know the BHWT have a hard time too and they do offer some tips on how to keep the hens entertained and such on their facebook site. But I get at least one picture a day of hens that are out in the open. I can sort of figure that these pictures are most likely old and from before the lock up rules. But I do feel it gives a wrong message, especially to those who aren't complying to the rules and see those pictures.

Sorry... rant over :anxious:

I'm hoping with this cold snap most birds won't be venturing too far to waste energy and so contamination will be less. And pigs might fly. On the other hand I'm glad they don't!!! And all scrunching up together to keep warm - it'll be multiplying. Meh, contradicted my whole theory there! :roll:

Roll on 28th Feb!

I was hoping all this cold weather would kill off any germs ?

Anyway, been to Fleet Pond this afternoon and I only saw ONE sign saying anything about Bird Flu.

I suppose it's better than nothing but it was just on a little post and most people wouldn't have been aware it was even there.

flu type infections are mainly a cold weather aliment a rise in the temperature should help to stem the out break but that might not be until April

We've seen a jump in wild bird numbers here this last week or so but I think that's just because it's bigger birds now the smaller ones We had over the last couple of weeks of last year and the first couple of this year have moved on

there are certainly more gulls at the moment the big black backs have certainly increased We've had about 10 most of the year but there's probably about 25 since the storm We had just before last week end and there's a flock about 100+ strong of smaller gulls on the lake about a mile or so from here that turned up about the same time that lake all ready has one of the bigger flocks of Canada geese in the borough plus best part of 100+ assorted water fowl wild and dumped domestic ducks and a breeding pair of swans and a very nice looking lavender Muscovy drake that's been there a couple of years now

On a complete different note, something that has been bugging me for some time.

I know the BHWT have a hard time too and they do offer some tips on how to keep the hens entertained and such on their facebook site. But I get at least one picture a day of hens that are out in the open. I can sort of figure that these pictures are most likely old and from before the lock up rules. But I do feel it gives a wrong message, especially to those who aren't complying to the rules and see those pictures.

Sorry... rant over :anxious:

Noticed that they have started to mention that the pictures are from before the lock down. :clap:

2 more days and the last restriction region in the Netherlands had ended too. My boarding place will be available again, as they were in one of the movement restriction zones.

My lot settled into the new conditions after a couple of weeks much to My amazement they certainly aren't stressed by it and to be honest I'm getting more eggs than I normally do this time of year. I've got at least 10 laying could be 12 as 2 or 3 are only laying once or twice a week