Egluntyne

Confirmed Bird Flu - Lincs, Wales now Leicestershire & Yorks

Yeah, me too. We were discussing this at work.

How bad would they feel if their birds succumbed to AI, and all birds in a 3km radius had to be culled?

they'd probably be on even news and local radio bulletin belly aching that their birds have to be culled

while the rest of us have to pay the 'price' with extra regulations

If mine had to be culled through someone's ignorance, I'd find an alternative use for my pitchfork - currently a curtain rail - in the direction of their bottoms!

We were discussing this in the car today - why would you risk your flock's health and expose them to such a horrid death with horrid symptoms? Do their birds mean nothing to them at all? Mine are all tucked in. Some people are utilising all sorts - we saw a marquee not so far away - hubby said that's a good idea.

Yeah, me too. We were discussing this at work.

How bad would they feel if their birds succumbed to AI, and all birds in a 3km radius had to be culled?

Excuse me butting in but is that what happens?

If your birds get Avian flu DEFRA rounds up all the other poultry in a 3Km radius and kills them?

if you fall into the control zone zone then in theory DEFRA has all captive birds culled. all flocks 49+ birds should be registered anyway commercial and domestic.it's not that hard to find out were a fair few back yard birds are/could be if you have access to up to date aerial photo's after all certain brands of chicken coops stand out like a sore thump and if you know what to look for traditional ones aren't hard to spot. plus there's a few petty minded folk out there that'll as we say round here bubble you to the authorities just because you don't follow their ideas on life

I actually don't think they're culling like that. If you read the stuff on the DEFRA site it sets out strict movement bans within a 3km 'Protection' zone of an outbreak, but sounds like culling is only on the affected premises. Possibly other 'susceptible' animals but that bit's slightly ambiguous. Don't know why they'd go to the bother of setting out what you can and can't do with poultry within that 3km if they were going to cull them all.

I wonder what DEFRA are going to do at the end of February if there are cases still. Or the end of March/April/May? I suspect they will re-evaluate the risk for back garden flocks and we will be in a position to let our birds out again scratching our heads and wondering if all this was pointless. We have thousands of birds visiting the garden and starlings foraging in surrounding fields. How much gets blown into our birds' runs? I am at a loss at the wisdom of all this.

I think it is completely pointless. To a degree I am doing as I am told. I do let my girls out occasionally, e.g. when I am cleaning them out and today the sun was so lovely I let them out for a few hours. But with regards to AI I honestly think keeping them in is a complete waste of time because there are too many people not bothering.

I wonder what DEFRA are going to do at the end of February if there are cases still. Or the end of March/April/May? I suspect they will re-evaluate the risk for back garden flocks and we will be in a position to let our birds out again scratching our heads and wondering if all this was pointless. We have thousands of birds visiting the garden and starlings foraging in surrounding fields. How much gets blown into our birds' runs? I am at a loss at the wisdom of all this.

as the regs stand at the moment they can't differentiate between commercial or back yard flocks that will need an amendment by Parliament which I doubt will happen as the poultry industry will fight any easing for back yard flocks

the controls for any of this type of in the UK are based of the Foot and mouth controls that come out of the lessons learnt from failings from the last big F&T outbreak partly most through date back to the 50's or there about. the EU's regs are based mostly on the UK's model with some 'local' alterations or interpretations

didn't think wind blown infection happened the advice is focused on keeping direct contact with wild birds and their dropping and secondary infection from 'traffic' foot or vehicle hence the disinfectant baths/dips

Went to the vets this morning with Wilf and my Vet was telling me how she had Environmental Health (or at least I think that's who she said) knocking on her door last week.

She has a small backyard flock of chickens and initially they said that they'd had a tip off that she's been letting her chickens free range. She assured them that she hadn't and they then realised that it was a case of mistaken identity as she had the same surname as the other person.

We both thought it was reassuring that they are following up on reports of people not adhering to the curfew. I was pleasantly surprised. Just goes to show that it's worth contacting the authorities if you have concerns about a flock.

She also said that she'd be very surprised if the curfew wasn't extended until after the end of Feb :(

I think it is completely pointless. To a degree I am doing as I am told. I do let my girls out occasionally, e.g. when I am cleaning them out and today the sun was so lovely I let them out for a few hours. But with regards to AI I honestly think keeping them in is a complete waste of time because there are too many people not bothering.

I agree that people are not bothering.

We drove down to Dorset today and in various different places I saw chickens roaming around.

They were fenced in but that was all :shameonu:

If your birds are in the 3km protection zone it says nothing about them being culled, although I may not have found a section that says it does - it's not exactly an easy website to get round. The surveillance zone says pretty much the same thing. These are the rules for 3km in UK - possibly different elsewhere:

This is a general description of controls we apply. Consult any specific Declaration in force.

If your premises is within the defined Protection Zone within a 3 km radius of an affected premises you must:

continue to keep poultry and other captive birds in their buildings or isolated from other poultry, captive birds and wild birds

not move poultry or other captive birds without a licence (exceptions apply for pet animals)

not move pigs or other mammals susceptible to avian influenza on or off premises where poultry or other captive birds are kept without a licence

make sure that all bird carcases are disposed of in accordance with veterinary instructions – unless they are seized or disposed of by a veterinary inspector

make sure that appropriate biosecurity measures are in place for people entering or leaving any premises where poultry, other captive birds or eggs are kept

not spread poultry litter, manure and slurry or remove these from your premises

not have bird gatherings or release game birds

not move eggs without a licence - however table eggs may be moved to wholesale, retail premises or subsequent movements (such as when purchased by a consumer)

not move poultry meat within or outside of the zone except in accordance with specific rules set out below

cleanse and disinfect vehicles which may be contaminated

keep specified records eg poultry movements and visitor records

continue to implement the requirements set out in the Avian Influenza Prevention Zone declaration (PDF, 139KB, 2 pages)

All premises within a Protection Zone are also in the associated Surveillance Zone (and the following restrictions also apply).

It's not exactly user friendly! And they update a few days behind the news! How did the news find it and print it off before Defra had put fingers to the keyboards, unless there are other formalities to go through and double check whereas the news likes to sensationalise pretty much anything!

Hi Everyone

I have just had a run-in with a person who will not keep their hens in at all. Their excuse is that their hens sleep in the trees at night and they (the person) has asthma so they cannot catch them. When I told them I was angry because their attitude might get my hens culled they just shrugged. Then on my way home I saw another flock of hens free ranging!!!!

I am so angry!

However - my question to you is - have I got the right to tell DEFRA where to go if they come to cull my hens?

I have a covered walk in run and vikron at the fence I use a different coat and over trousers and wellies that I constantly wash with disinfectant and keep the birds in the run.

I will defineitely be within the 3km because these other hens are less that half a mile away.

Does anyone know what my position would be? I cannot find anywhere that says what my situation would be.

Flowerpot