Egluntyne

Confirmed Bird Flu - Lincs, Wales now Leicestershire & Yorks

Thank you

It does look like they are wanting to prevent the movement of birds rather than culling in an area around the infected site.

I had completely got the wrong end of the stick. I couldn't bear the thought of my hens suffering such a fate just because some people don't seem to care about any hens let alone their own :wall: .

I will continue to maintain my biosecurity anyway for the sake of my hens and just hope that the others in the area also stay safe despite their owners.

Phew!!! :anxious:

Flowerpot

Thanks Luvachicken, I watched it on iPlayer last night. Very interesting,definitely worth watching....... when you see the farmers with their livelihoods being affected it does make me feel very sorry for them. I'm not sure how anyone can monitor if the disease gets to our wild birds. Roll on end of February, fingers crossed for all concerned. Some interesting ways of hentertainment on the program too.

No idea, but you may find that defra isn't that bothered. ... they ignored my phone calls and emails about such problems locally

Which brings me back to what I said about the rules DEFRA made up about backyard flocks having to be kept in being about them appearing to be doing something.

There's "Ooops, word censored!"ody quite like the Brits in their zeal to conform to regulations.

Of course DEFRA has scientific advice but it is largely peopled by jobsworth civil servants

What about the ridiculous slaughter regulations for Foot and Mouth when so many other countries vaccinate?

What about the ridiculous badger culling farce?

A beefarmer has just been successfully prosecuted for taking the life of his bees and the jobs of his employees into his own hands after DEFRA failed to supply him, on time, with a treatment they had agreed to supply.

The judge said it was a waste of time and fined him peanuts because he pleaded guilty while the taxpayer picks up a bill for 100K for the VMD's costs.

Edited for typo

Edited by Guest

A reinforcing comms out from DEFRA:

"Since the middle of December, cases of highly pathogenic Avian Influenza (of subtype H5N8) have been confirmed in poultry on farms and backyard flocks in the UK. Findings have also been confirmed in the case of numerous wild birds.

On 6 December 2016, a Prevention Zone was put in place to introduce additional biosecurity requirements for all poultry and captive birds, helping to protect the animals from a strain of Avian Influenza circulating in wild birds in mainland Europe. This zone covers the whole of England and has now been extended to 28 February. Similar zones have been introduced by the Scottish and Welsh Governments.

The declaration requires the immediate and compulsory housing of all poultry and captive birds where it is practicable to do so. This means that domestic chickens, hens, turkeys and ducks are expected to be housed or, where this is not practicable, completely separated from contact with wild birds. The Government recognises that it is not practical for farmed geese, gamebirds and some other captive birds to be housed, however keepers must still take steps to keep these birds separate from wild birds, for example through the use of temporary structures or netting. We have published biosecurity guidance that sets out possible options which might be used at this time. This can be downloaded from the GOV.UK website.

Due to the significant potential impact of disease spread, we expect a high level of compliance from all poultry and captive bird keepers. Breach of these controls is an offence and enforcement is a matter for local authority animal health teams, with whom we are working closely. Keepers found to be non-compliant will be reminded of their responsibilities in relation to housing or separating their birds from wild birds by local authorities. For those keepers who continue to fail to comply, local authorities may exercise their full legal powers which may result in a fine, imprisonment on summary conviction, or both, dependent on the individual circumstances of the case.

We have issued considerable communications in order to raise awareness of the disease, the Prevention Zone and the reasons for issuing a Prevention Zone Declaration through trade press, social media and direct messaging. We have also provided information on the GOV.UK website to help people understand the risk to their birds, the means they may take to protect them, in addition to biosecurity guidance. We will continue to work with stakeholders, national and local media and industry partners to ensure that individuals in poultry sectors are aware of the impacts and consequences of non-compliance with the provisions of the Prevention Zone."

It's interesting to read their interpretation of a high risk area - they describe the sort of place I would expect them to - wet areas, frequented by wild and waterfowl; similar to where OH lives. I always considered my place to be low risk, yet this morning 2 skeins of geese flew over us. Never seen them here before, and we're not near any water, but made me re-think my risk assessment.

looks like mine will have to stay in the runs for a while more I'm about a mile and a bit ( as the gull flies)from at least 3 lakes one has about 200 water fowl as permanent residents it's probably the largest flock of Canada geese in the borough plus it's got a 100-200 gulls over wintering on there. one of the lakes the other way has one of the largest Heron flocks in the midlands plus there's the green Parrots in the woods near to that. at the moment we've got about 30 greater black back gulls went up from a dozen about 3 weeks back and the mixed flock of the crow species came back last week they'll be here at least 6 weeks but most all summer then there's the 20 wood pigeons and doves that get fed at the garden just over from me that flit from the bird table to the fence to the chimney pots and TV Ariels

mind main part of the garden will need a good couple of weeks to dry out ant way

:evil: I can't believe it - I'm one street away from the edge of the 'High Risk' Area. Further down the road, outside the boundary, are two lakes which have a high population of waterfowl, and a nature reserve which has migratory birds on it - yet that's outside the zone. :wall:

I will continue to observe the regulations but it's beginning to seem more and more daft.

Mine is the same Olly.... makes no sense whatever. Lakes and rivers a good distance away are outside the zone, yet my street is high risk. Defies belief; did a small child crayon randomly on a map?

just had a look at the map if wild water fowl are supposed to be the high risk I expected to find a high risk zone in or around the West Mids given all the water We have around here but although there are high rick zones around here the nearest is about 27 - 30 miles away

I thought they might be centered on big poultry farms but neither of the 2 I know the locations of come with in or really near the zones

they look like drips from a mug of coffee

they look like drips from a mug of coffee
:lol::lol::lol:

Quite!

It doesn't seem to bear any relation to the localities, does it? I can't understand why our town centre (has a canal and river, but very little wildfowl on those) is higher risk than the flood meadows and lakes a few miles away.

best one is the Liverpool area it's a very big zone yet in the middle of the largest part is what looks like the centre Birkenhead. DEFRA really need to get their act together if they want people to carry on 'playing' ball and if this new set of controls is still a work in progress then it should have stayed in the office poor or wrong information is as bad as no information

Well having seen they may have to be kept in until the end of April on their site or make things unpleasant for wild life. Like that's going to happen - we have farms and woodland around here! Whether I look after the wild birds or not, they are going to be here. Looked on the interactive map a couple of days ago and it was just the blue dots - today it's rife with brown!!! For goodness sake! *stamps foot and has hissy fit*

We are OK with regard to letting the girls out but a few miles away is the "proposed high risk area". But strangely Fleet pond hasn't been earmarked! Neither has a few other water stretches, for example Whitchurch between Basingstoke and Andover is high risk but not Winchester or even Alresford. And if Wokingham and Eversley etc have high risk why don't they just say everywhere is high risk? Seems if it's likely to happen there then being on the all clear edge doesn't exactly mean it's safe either. Meh, so fed up!

I can see that the map follows the Thames and most of the South East coast - that's logical although I don't understand why not all of the coastline is included. There's a sort of promontory which I am guessing is intended to cover Epping Forest which is near me. But it makes absolutely no sense that someone a hundred yards away from me (and a hundred yards nearer to a location with migratory waterfowl) could have their hens free-ranging, but I can't.

I'm nearly as fed up as the hens now!

I cannot for the life of me see why I am near the middle of a high risk area. The centre of the circle is the village next to mine - why?!

There are some large intensive poultry producers around, but this doesn't make sense at all (as those poor hens will never see the light of day). There is water not many miles away - but areas much nearer the water are not in the zone

Any suggestions?

Am not pleased :/

I thought I understood the mapping - until I looked at it! In Cornwall Bodmin Moor is a high risk zone which I can kind of understand as it does have a few reservoirs / lakes which are habitat for overwintering water birds / starlings, but hen surely Dartmoor is the same and that isn't high risk! Then if gulls are a risk, why are only some, apparently random, sections of the coast high risk?

Perhaps they've picked areas around decent sized estuaries but that doesn't really explain it all.

I agree DM - looks like a toddler's done it. I think it would help keep people onside if they'd at least explained how they arrived at their map.

Just sent this through the DEFRA website:-

Please would you explain how you arrived at the 'high risk' areas shown on your interactive map?

I'm particularly interested in my area (Cornwall), but I belong to a forum on the Omlet (a chicken housing company) website where many backyard poultry keepers are feeling frustrated about the apparently arbitrary placement of the high risk areas, and keepers who have previously been completely on board with the restrictions are now starting to question the validity of the approach.

I'm sure the high risk zones haven't been identified in an arbitrary manner, but it would help to have an explanation of how they were chosen.

Be interesting to see if I get a reply