Egluntyne

Confirmed Bird Flu - Lincs, Wales now Leicestershire & Yorks

Quote from APHA Scotland

On 9th Feb 2017 the Scottish Government announced that the Avan Influeza Prevention Zone will be renewed until the end of April 2017. However on 28th February the requirements of the zone will change, meaning that from that date keepers may let their birds out provided that they have enhanced biosecurity measure in place

End April now huh

Looks the same across Britain. You still have to keep the bio security going after the 28th even if you are in a clear area. No reports of anything in Hampshire but they seem to think we're going to get a lot all over the place. So as I'm in the clear area I mustn't encourage wild birds - fat chance - this is countryside and unless all birds are culled across the county I still have to keep mine in. :evil: Or set up a new under cover area which has to be free of wild birds for 50 days - oh look, end of April like they said. :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil: I really need a tantrum emoticon!

Looks the same across Britain. So as I'm in the clear area I mustn't encourage wild birds - fat chance - this is countryside and unless all birds are culled across the county I still have to keep mine in. Or set up a new under cover area which has to be free of wild birds for 50 days!

What's the betting this order will become permanent?

This really seems like a nonsense regulation now. I'm complying... but they are just paying lip service now to the situation. Mine have to be fenced in but with a netting cover. Netting? How is that going to offer security? Then I read on and is says the netting has to be a size that will prevent birds the size of a dove or larger getting in. So a netted area where any wild bird faeces can 'drop in' but as long as a dove sized bird can't squeeze in - well, that's somehow called biosecurity.

Now while I don't want them to start insisting on being fully covered everywhere (I'm building an extension run for them complying with the March onwards regulations) I feel these new precautions are an absolute farce.

This really seems like a nonsense regulation now. I'm complying... but they are just paying lip service now to the situation. Mine have to be fenced in but with a netting cover. Netting? How is that going to offer security? Then I read on and is says the netting has to be a size that will prevent birds the size of a dove or larger getting in. So a netted area where any wild bird faeces can 'drop in' but as long as a dove sized bird can't squeeze in - well, that's somehow called biosecurity.

Now while I don't want them to start insisting on being fully covered everywhere (I'm building an extension run for them complying with the March onwards regulations) I feel these new precautions are an absolute farce.

And what about the little birds - they can get in the netting smaller than a dove can? Its nonsense. I do think lots of people wont have backyard chickens as much as there has been in the past. Lots of eglus on ebay shortly me thinks!

anti bird netting on buildings has to be a certain size mesh which I think is about 30mm square or less to stop larger birds from getting part way through and ending up tangled up in the net plus it's easier for them to see the need the smaller the mesh size

I do think lots of people wont have backyard chickens as much as there has been in the past. Lots of eglus on ebay shortly me thinks!

I disagree, because I think most people don't care about anything DEFRA say. This forum may give the impression that most people will take notice of and abide by their regulations, but I really don't think that's the case in the wider world.

I do think lots of people wont have backyard chickens as much as there has been in the past. Lots of eglus on ebay shortly me thinks!

I disagree, because I think most people don't care about anything DEFRA say. This forum may give the impression that most people will take notice of and abide by their regulations, but I really don't think that's the case in the wider world.

sadly I have to agree most probably don't even know DEFRA exist and that the regs even apply to them

I also think that there's been more than 2 back yard flocks affected and that keepers have just put any illness or deaths down to that's one of the things that happens with chickens

it's also a fair bet that the vast majority of no chicken keepers don't even know that there's still a AI outbreak

Well it sounds like a nice big batch of Bird Flu (human bird flu) is now killing people off in China. Apparently it was around in 2013. A not very nice one. So won't be long before we will have to be confined to barracks too! :lol:

Meanwhile has anyone developed chicken goggles and masks for their return to "normal" life? I'm now thinking of the squirrel in Spongebob Squarepants. Then take the helmet off when they go back inside after dousing them with Virkon so they can eat. It is ludicrous but maybe if I put forward this idea to Defra . . . no more ludicrous than netting with poop free to splash through.

:lol: I feel your pain! I think it's a lot worse than mine!

Would love to have a cat. Any cat. I'm desperate for a furry feline to sit on my lap and purr! And then we have OH. :evil::boohoo:

Could you swap your chainsaw for a shotgun - there are now 6 of the pests - OH counted 9 yesterday. I just think pie :drool:

You can always get an accidental cat!

Doesn't he like cats or is he allergic?

Sphinxes (hairless cats) are not hypoallergenic but give much less problems. Although they do take more care. You need to wash them quite regularly.

There are also breeds that are more doglike. Some of the exotic breeds happily play fetch etc.