Egluntyne

Confirmed Bird Flu - Lincs, Wales now Leicestershire & Yorks

Mine seem to be perfectly at ease with their jail term too! One chicken kept trying to escape up the garden the first week but that quickly stopped with the promise of treats and now they're just over excited whenever I go to them.

Which is nice... but it takes a long time to clean them out now with over-enthusiastic chickens poking their inquisitive beaks into everything I'm doing. And trying to clean out a coop with one chicken tucked under your arm is an exercise in futility :lol:

I'm looking forward to seeing them free ranging again though, it's very calming watching them.

Mine are the opposite. Quiet yes. That hasn't been an issue but just not normal. They aren't eating much either - on the other hand the poop isn't much because of it. They aren't laying because they aren't hybrids so I'm not too worried about that - plus they are old. I find it very frustrating especially with today's news of yet another. I doubt they'll be out in February.

Did my Nordic walking today and that was at a place with a large area of ponds - or possibly an old gravel pit? Not one water bird in sight. I wondered if they'd been captured and put into a separate holding facility - not even a moorhen! It was quite weird. It's Military land, so perhaps the Gov told the people tending the area to put them away safely. :? No sign of any dead birds. Um, lots of squaddies around though yomping up and down the hills. Highlight to my morning that was! :lol::oops:

Just had a low flying Canada goose over the house! :anxious: It was honking all the way. Fly over someone else's garden - go away!!! Actually we usually hear them over in the next village as they tend to congregate in the fields. I think every now and then they cull them when the numbers are too huge - plus they honk all night long. Not seen or heard any this winter until now. Hope it's not one spreading lurgy!!!

Here's DEFRA's list of 'what we have so far':

A number of cases of avian influenza H5N8 have been confirmed, and restrictions are in place. Further information on each case, and the specific legal restrictions and movement controls are set out further down this page.

3km Protection Zones and 10km Surveillance Zones are in place in the following cases:

flocks of farmed breeding pheasants at 3 separate, linked premises near Pilling, Wyre, Lancashire (24, 27, 30 January 2017)

a turkey flock near Boston, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire (26 January 2017)

a commercial turkey unit near Louth, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire (16 January 2017)

a small backyard flock of chickens and ducks on a premises near Settle in North Yorkshire (6 January 2017)

A 10km Surveillance Zone remains in place in the following case:

a backyard flock of chickens and ducks on a premises in Carmarthenshire, Wales (3 January 2017)

The pheasants will likely have been outside, so unprotected.

in theory then if they employ a 30 day from last infection plan then the current order will have to be extended by at least 7 days to give a margin of error

I do have a question through I've had one of the pullets escape the last 2 days the little mare has started to 'shoot' out the pop hole like she's got a rocket up her bum ( cockerel is a little bit keen first thing in a morning and she's his favorite she's got a bit to much CLB in her so other than before breakfast she's very happy with the attention) takes me a good 15 mins to round her up other than just keeping an eye on them as I'm doing I take it I just carry on as I'm doing

:lol: little minx.I wasn't that polite

Not much else you can do. ... i had one escape like that at the weekend when i was cleaning them out. She did a lap of glory before i managed to net her!

she was a bit slower this morning mainly because the boy was between her and Me

So now, there are approx 30 days to go, if any more cases are confirmed, will that automatically extend the period?

not automatically but I wouldn't bet against it. DEFRA will have to ask their minister to either issue a new order or extend the current one normally a formality a lot depends on the wording of the Act of Parliament through as to weather they can keep extending the order with out going to a debate before the House

I suspect through that once it's over there will be a select committee review of the handling of the situation because of the commercial farms that got affected nearly a month in to the restrictions

So now, there are approx 30 days to go, if any more cases are confirmed, will that automatically extend the period?

not automatically but I wouldn't bet against it. DEFRA will have to ask their minister to either issue a new order or extend the current one normally a formality a lot depends on the wording of the Act of Parliament through as to weather they can keep extending the order with out going to a debate before the House

I suspect through that once it's over there will be a select committee review of the handling of the situation because of the commercial farms that got affected nearly a month in to the restrictions

My guess is that they will be between a rock and a hard place - if the outbreaks haven't abated, or have picked up, then they ought to extend the prevention period. However, they will be under pressure from the poultry industry to return to BAU soonest; not an easy call to take.