Purplemaniacs

Vegetarian recipe suggestions please

DD told me about vegan January. She decided that was too much but has given up meat for January. Her DD has also done the same so I decided to join them.

I am finding it surprisingly difficult. I am running out of ideas for recipes to cook. Has anyone got any suggestions. I am really missing my chilli con carne which I live off of in the week if I am at home on my own. DH has not given up meat so at the weekend I need to cook him some meat and something meat free for me.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

Chrissie

Made a veggie chilli con carne on New years eve for some friends. Used a meat replacement instead of the normal ground beef. It was really good!

If you are doing a pasta or stirfry, you can replace sausage or other meat with sun dried tomatoes cut in small pieces.

My favorite ever veggie recipe is gnocchi, baked in a bit of oil for a bit. Then add some halved cherry tomatoes for a minute. Stir in some pesto and creme fresh and serve with fresh rocket and ground cheese. :drool:

It's super fast and very comforting.

Just use lentils instead of mince in bolognese-type sauce. Or in a veggie gravy for shepherd's pie, or with chilli and kidney beans etc.

Cauliflower cheese, vegetable curry, frittata; chick peas go really well in curry if you feel you need a bit more protein.

Look at Jack Monroe's blog for kidney-bean/chick-pea burger recipes which are great and very economical. Home-made pizza with pepper, onion and tomato with mozzarella cheese.

I'm not vegetarian but I eat meat-free meals at least four days a week mainly because it's cheaper. I don't use meat replacements, Quorn doesn't agree with me and I don't see the point in pretending something is meat, however veggie sausages are good in toad-in-the-hole and I occasionally buy Waitrose vegetable grills for evenings when I'm in a hurry.

If you're looking for a cookery book, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's 'Everyday Veg' is good.

I don't really like Quorn either, but in the Netherlands we have a brand which is called the Vegetarian butcher. They have really nice things! I don't really see much of the point either, but it saves in cooking two meals if you have family members who aren't vegetarian.

Glamorgan sausages are a great veggie dish; basically a form of caerphilly cheese and leek rissole.

Do your veggie rules still allow eggs? If so, how about a spanish tortilla (thick potato and onion omelette) or eggs florentine (boiled eggs and spinach in a cheese sauce)?

How about doing some pancakes (practice for Feb), then filling them with mushrooms and red peppers in a white wine sauce and calling them crêpes? In fact, just make up whatever filling you like.

Try Deliciously Ella her recipes are great chilli, 2 grated carrots.2 crushed garlic cloves,600g passata,50g tomato purée,2 tins black beans,1 tin kidney beans,1 teaspoon chilli flakes,1 jalapeño pepper finely chopped. Put in saucepan,salt and pepper to taste,stir 10 mins. Serve on brown rice, Absolutely delicious. Really you don't notice it is meat free. She has some great recipes,try online. There is an amazing pad Thai and some lovely risottosand soups.

I mostly eat as if I'm a vegetarian, eating very little meat unless it is of high welfare and quality. I eat quite a lot of lentils, particularly red lentils as these are quick to cook, usually making them into a pasta bake, shepherd's pie or bolognaise type sauce.

Split pea daal is good, and you can easily make a big batch and reheat it during the week/add additional veg to it if required.

Stir fry; I usually toast peanuts of in a frying pan first, then cook a hearty quantity of finely chopped veg with mixtures of spices, garlic, soy sauce and chilli sauce with noodles.

Omlettes, either individual ones, or Spanish Tortilla.

Risotto.

Falafel

Have a go at making lentil burgers too.

Chickpea soup, preferably with homemade bread. I really like the recipe for this from Jamie's Italy, it's so simple, but really heartwarming and substantial.

Veg chilli is great, I just use loads of cubed root veg with tinned tomatoes, chilli powder, paprika and loads of cumin. I add mixed beans, kidney beans and sometimes tinned brown or green lentils. Even my carnivorous chilli loving son approves. :D

Chick pea curry with plenty of veg works well too. Vegetable soup with beans works well. Pasta bakes made with vegetables and baked beans are very easy and comforting too.

Thank you for your suggestions. I have tried gnocchi, bean curd and various lentils and pulses for the first time. I managed January with no meat or fish and have still not had any meat but did have some fish last Saturday for the first time since December. It seemed very salty to me.

I think I will aim to be meat free in the week and just eat meat at the weekend so I don't have to cook different things for OH.

Chrissie

Do you like spicy food at all?

I like spicy food.

Well it is now 2 months since I have eaten meat. I have surprised myself. My DD whose fault it was only did a month. I think I might start to eat a little meat at the weekend as my OH has missed me cooking meat. Somethimes I have cooked him a meat dish.

Thanks for all your suggestions they have definitely helped.

Chrissie