eve

help conplaint

Hi ive had a letter today from the council saying a neighbour has put a complaint i bout my chickens. Said i need to keep food in a safe place which i already do. To clean up moredue to the sepage??? Not sure what that means...yes its a mud bath up there at the moment as they are in lock down .think im going to have to get rid of them... cant be doing with hassel from a neighbour who cant speak to me bout it

Don't rush into anything. They're chickens not horses! You'd expect seepage from larger animals. Reply very calmly to the council. State how you contain your food and explain that, as they will already know, the chickens can't be moved, according to DEFRA'S instructions. How many do you have?

I have 6 never had problem had them for over 7 years.. same neighbour. .. just really worried now don't want a fine or trouble with my neighbour winter is always hard for us chicken keepers now even harder.

Can only see him making trouble for me so think best to get rid.asap after defra give the ok of course

So sorry to hear you've had a letter from the council. I had a complaint from mine a few years ago and found it quite upsetting. After sleeping on it I realised that the council are obliged to write to you following complaints under certain circumstances. They never act quickly, they can't.

Has the complaint got any foundation? If so, can you rectify anything, or is the neighbour being malicious.

I'd be following Chickabee's advice above too

Good luck and let us know how you are getting on :)

We've has several complaints from anonymous neighbours writing to the Council. None of them came to anything because clearly there were no reasonable grounds for complaining.

Good husbandry and pest awareness are all that's needed. Turned out the rats were living under the neighbour's own shed and eating the feed he was throwing out for the birds!

Just a thought, it may not be your next door neighbour, the council will put ' neighbour' for anyone in your road. We once had a complaint from the council saying a neighbour had complained about some building work, turned out the person was several doors from us and couldn't even see our house, they were just one of those people who had nothing better to do.

Explain to the council it is very difficult at the moment with lock down as per Defra and most chicken keepers at the moment have muddy runs and more chicken pooh than we can deal with as the girls are confined in runs. Although I clean my run every couple of days, I have noticed it smells more than usual but they have gone from a large free range area to the run and boy can the girls poop!

You could try some Bokashi Bran in the food as I am led to believe this helps with digestive odour. Also many on here use a powder disinfectant like Stalosan (sp) in the run to help with smell.

I would like others have said sleep on it, you clearly want chickens otherwise you wouldn't have kept them for 7 years. Keep your chin up and don't let others get you down :D

Spoke to my vet bout the on going problems due to defra lock down and yes a very muddy run.she was understand and said im sure the council are aware of the defra guildlines. And lots of chicken keepers are in the same boat, Said to try and see if a stables or farm have a muck heap they would let me use... not any in the area.. so still no further forward just hoping we can move them on 28 feb.asked if it really got bad can i have them put to sleep,she said the vet wont do that to healthy birds.just want to keep everyone happy but think thats not going to happen

Just bag up your chicken manure and offer it on freecycle or to someone with an allotment - I never have a shortage of takers for mine. I am cleaning my run out completely twice as often as I was before the incarceration. Is your run covered? If you have enough space and it is covered, then keeping it fresh shouldn't be too much of a problem.

the council are aware of the defra guildlines

I can quite believe that they aren't. I've known departments/officers of the council that have shared offices and had desks next to each other and not shared or passed on information when they've been working on the same project, office politics and egos get in the way a hell of a lot

What Ursula said...

It could be any 'neighbour' and not who you're thinking of at all.

Do you get on with your actual neighbour? Could you chat to them about it? Not the complaint, but just a chat about chickens where you could mention the Defra thing and that the chickens are looking forward to getting out etc? Perhaps Offer eggs?

Don't even think about getting rid - there will always be random people who make strange complaints. A friend of mine is having bother with someone the opposite side of the road from her who says the chickens bring disease in (nothing to do with avian flu - just random disease). :wall:

Council getting back to me within two weeks didnt know bout defra or avin flu!! asked me were she needs to look to confirm what im saying bout keepin them in and cant move or sell them.even told her ive spoken to the vets and they having lots of people phoning up.see what happens next said if she want to come and collect them thats fine as i dont want to fall out with neighbours or have any hassles.she thanked me for getting in contact with her.and to leave it with her....

Yes going to give up i really cant cope with the hassel from neighbour or the council and with the arvin flu defra lock down all has just made my mind up. Its been lovely but i cant see any other way..i need to get rid of my lovely hens now how to do it.xxx hoping feb 28 is going to be a great day for all hen keepers

Such a shame your not closer to me. If you could sell me your coop I would have taken them.

I see adverts in farm shops and vets also preloved. Although I got a bit suspicious about preloved when I tried to re home one of mine. Somebody emailed and asked where I lived, but didn't ask any questions about the hen

U wont belive this council rang to say she been in touch with defra and i can let my chicken free range.i told her thats not the case as i spoke to them yesterday and they have to be keep shut up with a cover over but im allowed to move or sell give them away as im not in a resrtiction zone.no wonder so much confusion if defra giving differnt info out depending on who you speek to! going to move them to my grandmas garden for a while to keep neighbour off my back.thanks so much for all your advice has kept me going the last few days