Purplemaniacs

10 year anniversary!

It is 10 years since we got our first two chickens. They were two Omlet girls. Henry Penny was so friendly I always think she taught me so much about keeping chickens. 

I had planned on marking the occasion by getting some more girls but the cold weather followed by snow means that I have not had a chance to sort out the WIR and cube. Once the weather warms up I shall get on with sorting it out. It is also proving  more tricky to find new chooks as the places I have used in the past don't exist anymore. 

I would like to thank all the Omleteers. Over the years you have been with me for some very happy occasions and some not so happy ones. You have answered so many questions about chickens and life! 

I have also been encouraged to buy things that I never knew I needed. 

To the next ten years .....

Chrissie

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Luvachicken said:

Congratulations (Can't find the clapping emoticon thing) on your 10 years.

Dave taught me where to find it. If you click on the smiley face on the right it will give you “categories”, if you click on that, you can choose “converted” and you get the old ones back. :clap:

You need to keep clicking it though, everytime you write a new post.

Happy Henniversary! 

I got my Eglu and first lot of girls in February 2008 and always found this forum to be a great source of help and information, hadn't checked it for ages, but it's lovely to see how many familiar names are still on here! I must also admit that it's probably saved me a small fortune not knowing the latest Omlet 'Must haves' and over the years I've also made some good friends through the Omlet 'meet ups' 

I'm in the same situation, first time in 10 years without chickens, our last girl Dottie died a few weeks ago age 7, so hoping to get some new girlies before the month is out.

2008 was obviously a popular year for starting out with chickens!  It's 10 years today since we got our first two hens - MinnieGNR & Moose PP.  We still have hens, including one of our early years 'M' girls, the mighty Magda.  I can't imagine life without them now.  Planning to stock up on some more this year now that we have lots of space and only 1 of our 4 houses is currently in use :D.  Hoping for a few more decades of hen keeping:dance:

Just realised it will be 10 years for me in the next few weeks. And we still have 2 of the first four chickens we started out with, Phillipa and Teddy, black and white Polish Bantams.   Another, Joy is 9, and two others are 6.  Needless to say, we don't get any eggs from these pensioners!   Then there's Phillip 2nd, who is about 5.  Rescued from another Omleteer who couldn't keep a cockerel.  

So last year I bought 2 more bantams, Millie and Dilly.  Trouble is, Millie started to crow so is now Willie!  All we get now is about 5 eggs a week from Dilly, our sole egg layer.  This is not what I planned 10 years ago....

HAPPY HENNIVERSARY :)

Wow, curiously, I've just checked, its actually10 years for ours too,

how coincidental we're popping back ha ha having never forgotten this forum &  website.  

Looks like we joined  in February 2008, maybe it was March when they were delivered from Omlet. 

Agreed, doesn't time fly!!

Manyofourfunniestandhappiestmemoriesweretimessharedwithourchickens :)

Edited by Ms Tilytinkle

Happy Heniversary - and it's lovely to see some former (I won't say 'old'!) forum members back on here!  I haven't been counting, but I must be into my 12th year of hen-keeping ... which means it is 11 years since I bought eggs from a shop. O.o I've learned a lot during that time, both about chickens and other things - and my house has a few Omlet must-haves, none of which has disappointed me because they came so highly recommended. 

Here's to many more years of happy hen-keeping. 

I think this was the best site to come to for learning about keeping chickens, the ups, the downs and the watch out fors.  It still is great for referring to something that may crop (hah) up from time to time and you need a reminder of how to deal with it.  I think I've learnt so much from here.  Our cube and eglu are still fine although I will definitely have a walk-in run next time because of the Quasimodo after effects of a good clean out - especially as we have the extensions!  And then I'll have room for more birds - the idea is to have a few at a time so that I'll have a better rotation system going.  The last 2 newbies died before the old'uns and I was counting on them to carry on at least 2 or 3 years more!  

Millie now Willie!:lol:  Long may Dilly lay for you Patricia!