soapdragon

Retainers after Braces?

ES was at the orthodontists's this afternoon and has been told that his brace will come off in 7 weeks - he is beyond ecstatic! However, he'll have to wear retainers at nigh 'on a long term basis'  which we knew about so no surprise. But, when I questioned how long long term actually was (orthodontist is technically good but has all the bedside manner of Dr Crippen on a good day) I was told 'for life'. WHAT!  I had braces as a teen and once they were off, they were off; end of!

I can sort of understand having night time retainers for a year or so or until his jaw has fully grown but FOR LIFE? How on earth is that going to work? I know that some of you on the forum have dental experience and/or teens that have been through this so wanted to find out what others have been told.

My son had braces and his teeth were lovely when the braces came off and he dutifully wore his retainer, the retainer lasted about a year before falling apart, we paid £60 for a replacement and he wore that for a year and a half, he didn't want another one and five years on his teeth have moved a bit, they still look good but not perfect like they were and he's 24 now.

I had to wear a retainer in the day for about 6 months and was told to continue wearing it at night, presumably forever as well, but I lasted another 6 months. I found it at Christmas (must be 10 years old) and my teeth have definitely moved, there's no way I can get it on anymore...

My brother and several friends have permanent retainers fitted, its a single band placed behind the teeth, and they all highly recommend.

I understand that continuing retainer keeps teeth in place, so if you want perfect smile. I think there will always be a bit of crowding forward as you age and retainer prevents that. My daughter has had retainer replaced and wears it most nights. I think she has just got into habit and it’s no big deal.

Actually the braces were not for cosmetic reasons; had ES not had 2 teeth out and others moved around it would have affected his bite and, in the longer term, produced significant wear on some teeth causing big problems in his 30s/40s. Therefore I guess he won't mind if things move a little as they certainly can't go back to how they were! At the moment he's very relaxed about the retainers as, in his opinion, ANYTHING is better than the actual braces :D

On 20/03/2018 at 6:27 PM, Lewis said:

My brother and several friends have permanent retainers fitted, its a single band placed behind the teeth, and they all highly recommend.

Both my DD and DS have a wire band behind their bottom 4 front teeth.

DD's has been there for about 10 years now and her teeth look great, DS's hasn't been there quite as long but his teeth look good too :-D

I had a retainer at night that I was supposed to wear ‘for life’. I was a teenager and didn’t - my teeth moved back quickly and now they are crooked again :( I would wear it religiously now but as a teen I wasn’t very good at remembering things like that. 

I would have much preferred the fixed wire so my teeth were kept in place. 

Soapdragon, I don't know how old you are - younger than me i think  but when I had my braces in the 1970s once they came off we didn't have retainers. My teeth moved back and I ended up with braces in adulthood. I wear a retainer every other night. ES 22 wears one every night. They do move and then when you are older you pay big bucks to have treatment as an adult. He will get used to it. Leave them off at your peril. Sorry to be a harbinger of doom. 

Gulp! I'm 53 and wasn't offered retainers when my braces came off all those years ago. I can't really tell if they have moved but I think not so much. I am guessing that permanent retainers cost!? 

I can imagine ES wearing them to start with but suspect they might fall by the wayside. However, he had teeth out before braces so can't physically go back to how things were....I hope!

My brace is due to come off on April 10th all being well. I have been advised that I will have to wear it day and night for 6 months, and then after review, just at night. Forever. To be honest, after investing a great deal of money in this little venture, I am not going to risk things going wonky again.

Oh dear! Yes I’m afraid the recommendations is now a permanent fixed retainer. It’s a small bar cemented to the back of the teeth. To be honest after a few days he won’t even realise he is wearing it but if you decide against be prepared those blessed teeth move VERY quickly.

Edited by gavclojak

Yes, I'm 54 now and I had the removable braces when I was a youngster in the 70's.  I WAS given a retainer brace to wear at night after they'd been straightened , I duly lost it and my teeth have noticeably moved! :$  Definitely persist otherwise he'll regret it when he's older.