Cheepers seem to be doing well living in their big box in the downstairs shower cubicle. Theyll be 3 week so old this weekend and have had two trips outside for an hour now.

They have a Brinsea Ecoglow brooder in their box which is currently set on the middle height. Does anyone know how long they’ll need it for? When I should change it to the top height? When they can go and live in their Eglu outside?

Thanks.

6F66800D-1F57-45F9-95DF-C2A762B2565A.jpeg

B98CE39E-DB27-400D-A4B2-FF1195CA9447.jpeg

1EA55DB5-AB14-4782-B820-AA8B82D1F879.jpeg

Edited by mullethunter
Add photo

Very cute :D

I don't know what the weather is like back home but it's very hot here. I'd usually say keep them under heat for 6 weeks but maybe less if it's hot.

I'd be careful putting perches in so young as it can dent their keel bone and cause problems later on. When they move to the eglu I just keep them on the tray at the bottom until they're 12 weeks.

Thanks Lewis. They only have the perch in their outside bit to play on when they’re outside for the odd hour or so. Although I have to say, inside they perch on stuff all the time - the edge of boxes mainly - so I’m not sure not giving them an actual perch will make any difference!

They’re still living in our house at the moment and I can’t really give them heat where they’ll be moving outside, so I plan to turn off the heat by day this week but leave it on at night this will be week 3 to 4, then next week which will be week 4 to 5 take the heat away (they’ll still be in the house), so that week 5 to 6 as long as the weather is still warm they can move out into their EgluGo. Does that sound reasonable?

Three weeks it a bit early to be taking them off heat, have a read of this article.

It suggests they should have heat until 5 weeks (in an unheated room) at which point it will be room temperature and provide heat only in the day.
I'd keep it on for another week and then turn it off during the day - you'll be able to see from how they're acting, if they're still going under the electric hen they need the heat. Week 5 or 6 into the Go sounds good.

• Like 1

The chicks are 5 weeks old now and have been indoors with heat at night and having an hour or two outside after work each evening for the past week.

Today is s big day - they’ve moved out into the Eglu Go with 2m of run (I have 3m but the big girls have their favourite dust bath in the last metre so I’ve split it for the time being)! They’ll becoming back indoors overnight for the next week and I think I’ll put their heat on for the first few nights, then take it away for the second half of the week.

Then all being well they’ll be fully outdoors from next weekend!

15 hours ago, SeramaSilly said:

Looking like big girls now - although is one of the campines a boy??

I hatched the pekins and Wyandotte and bought the campine was day olds (because I thought only one of mine was going to hatch) so obviously I took that chance - and yes as you and Lewis says one campine and at least one of the pekins are boys. At the moment I think it’s most likely that actually both pekins and the Wyandotte are also boys so I only have the one campine girl.

OH bought me the swing for my birthday last October and the big girls have steadfastly refused to go anywhere near it so he’s delighted that the cheepers are using it!

5 hours ago, Lewis said:

They always look a bit lost when they firs go outside

They did! They’re well away today though - digging, dustbathing, swinging...already looks like they need the extra metre of run!

6 weeks old now and looking like small chickens more than chicks. Still sounding very much like chicks though and no crowing yet!

In other news, it seemed like a waste to have bought the incubator and only used it for 48 hours, so I’ve just bought 4 lavender pekin and 3 laced Wyandotte bantam eggs to go in it :whistle::dance:Surely I won’t be so unlucky as a four to one ratio a second time!

10107156-9087-4CBC-9D62-35CC9FD9493E.jpeg

A9BD5A14-754F-48AF-A367-305D680234F4.jpeg

FBDD4420-C9AD-409B-975D-B3327A43CD03.jpeg

9B726A2B-B8E9-4D18-A116-99CCC740A9B1.jpeg

Just over 10 weeks old now. Pekins are very obviously boys - their shiny green middle tail feathers are coming through, and the Wyandotte is starting to grow his long tail feathers too. The campine - Camilla (Cami) - is true to type and much more flighty and less people orientated than the 3 boys but she will still happily eat out of my hand and if I do manage to catch her she seems quite happy to be handled once I’ve got her.

E87CC375-34FF-47CE-BBD8-3532B3385C80.jpeg

70EEE2F2-1F69-49DE-B36A-C40D5ABBA3FC.jpeg

21CFE22A-3FAC-4464-8B7A-29FE708B8490.jpeg

D83914B4-529B-4A10-9C38-312F76DA3904.jpeg

Are the two mostly white ones the pekins ?

Are they the ones that are boys ?

They are all very pretty though.

We visit some garden where they have a pekin cock and he never makes a sound in all the times I've been there.

I bet if I had one it would be the noisiest bird ever :lol: