The Dogmother

Tricep tendonitis

Has anyone else done this before, how long can it take to heal?

I have no idea how I did it.... it just rolled along and started to hurt one day last week. By the following day it was ruddy painful, and that's from someone who once walked around for a week on a broken ankle!

I am jugging down the painkillers, something that I usually try to avoid, but I can hardly move without them, let alone get myself dressed. I have had it in a support, and an ice pack, but took that off after I noticed swelling either side of it. Ibuprofen gel doesn't do very much at all. Grrr, I find it hard to rest on a normal day, so being incapacitated is driving me mad... I am NOT a good patient.

Any one got any good news on the healing time?

Sorry DM no idea. I’m with you in the incapacitation - I just find it SO frustrating and boring and irritating if I can’t do what I want or have to get someone to help me (I’m not very good at asking for help) - hope you get fixed or at least it doesn’t take too long to get something like back to normal.

Ooh - not nice.  Lots of hugs for you - careful of course!  I don't rate ibuprofen gel highly, but I tend to use the tablets instead, but Voltarol gel - I prefer that.  If you go to the docs he may prescribe something with diclofenac - it's a little more heavy duty, and I believe that is also in the Voltarol gel.  But hope you get some relief soon.  You weren't wielding the chain saw again were you?

Forgot to flip the bottom switch!

Ooh instead of editing - which didn't let me flip the notification button, I did an extra post and it all merged!  Cool!

Not fun!

I had tendonitis in my hand/wrist a few weeks back, came on slowly and lasted about two weeks. It wasn’t constantly sore but I wouldn’t do silly things like turning a key, plugging in my phone etc.

Went to the walk in centre to get it checked before going to India and they wanted to prescribe Naproxen but because of gastric side effects and being away, I left it.

Ice, rest and paracetamol/ibuprofen is what worked for me - hope it goes soon!

I feel your pain, having almost got rid of my tennis elbow, which then added to my chances of my second frozen shoulder.

Not using it too much and physio helped.

Try not to massage bits yourself without checking with the physio first.

I massaged the bit in my elbow only to be told I had made it worse by aggravating the nerve - rub it better does not work in this case.

The creams to rub in only have like 2% Diclofenac in them so to me not even enough, but apparently you can ask for some cream behind the counter that has 15% in - I would think that might help.

Do you manage to sleep OK ? If not, I would ask your doctor for some Amytryptiline so at least you get some relief from the pain at night.

Ouch! Hope you are feeling better, DM? Naproxen was OK for me - better than paracetamol which does as much good as smarties but I can understand your reluctance, Lewis, esp as you were off to India! DM, with all the kefir your digestive system should be in excellent shape anyway so may be worth a try with Naproxen - I prefer it to Ibuprofen and find I don't have to take as many to get a good result with the pain.

Thanks chaps - no, it wasn't the chainsaw this time, in fact  have no idea what caused it... I was chucking 12kg feed sacks around though, so that wouldn't have helped

RICE has helped and so have PKs - although no opioids as I am allergic, sleeping better now but it's still a pain

I am seeing the physio later today, so hope that will help. 

OK, so a bit of a turn up - I have a tendon rupture, but there's also an infection in a bursa in the joint, so that has to be treated before the physio can do any ultrasound/laser work on the rupture. I had a letter from her, which I took to the GP today and I now have penicillin, Naproxen and Omeprazole (latter to protect my tum from the Naproxen). The swelling is much better than it was, but the pain still needs drugs to make it bearable, which isn't good. Those of you who know me will remember my aversion to taking anything that I don't need to (no idea when I last had antibiotics for instance) but right now I'll take anything to stop the pain so that I can use it again properly. I have a course on Sunday, so need to be able to move!

No idea where the infection came form 

Will report back - shouldn't take long as I tend to heal quickly.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2018 at 5:27 PM, Valkyrie said:

Just remember not to overdo it!

You know me so well....! :oops:

OK, so the naproxen/omeprazole/flucloxacillin mix seems to be working; the pain has improved immensely, swelling has gone down and I have a decent range of mobility. Last day on the antibs tomorrow, then another week of the Naproxen and Omeprazole. I went to the gym last night, for the first time in 3 weeks (Val, stop rolling your eyes at me! :-P) only did a little bit and nothing which hurt. I feel so much better and on top of things today.

The meds have left me feeling a bit nauseous and very tired with weak muscles... not at all normal for me. At least it's improving though.

:roll::roll::roll:  :lol: Couldn't resist!  But it must be coming on nicely seeing as you didn't feel any side effects after the gym!  Yayyyy!  Knickers regarding the meds.  I guess small price to pay (in my case that would be great as it would stop me eating - and I do look half starved don't I!  ;)) and you'll soon be off them I hope.  Keep up the good work hunbun!  xxx

Finished the antibionics last Friday and still on the anti-inflamms/painkillers until this Friday. The elbow still felt hot and sore on Monday so I went to the surgery again in case the infection was still present.The (rather chippy) nurse practitioner poo-pooed that and just said take more painkillers. I am keeping a very close eye on it for any signs of lingering infection. Went to the gym last night, avoided anything to do with arms, and it doesn't feel too bad today. Fingers crossed it will continue to improve. Will step down the PKs to over the counter stuff now.

Thanks for your wishes Val

Sorry to hear you've been in so much pain. I can sympathise.  Just got back from hols and have a sore pink foot. No bite or injury. I have bursitis in hip on same side and have decided pain killing injection is in order and booked in for Wed. GP thought was celulitis so given fluclox which making me billious O.o despite buckets of Actimel. Tonight it's sore again. X ray showed no fracture. So I guess I am an old broad with dodgy joints. I want to get back to Zumba.