Purplemaniacs

What has happened to the forum?

9 hours ago, Alis girls said:

Thanks ladies missed you too. So glad everyone is well and doing good. 

Still plagued by depression but making changes. Dropped a day at work. Thinking of doing a bit of volunteering in future probably befriending. For now enjoying a bit of leisure time. Hoping to do a few days out with OH. I will take a leaf out of Patsys book and go into town. 

My dads brother died of dementia so attended his funeral last week,  but I am in contact with my 2 cousins who are fiesty ladies in their 50's and we are a rowdy bunch more so when prosecco is on board. 

Boys good YS doing A level mocks and has a girlfriend so all loved up. On negative side hes been at the wacky bakkie which we were worried  about as hes got OCD and anxiety.  Monitoring at present. ES happy in job and girlfriend living locally. So getting used to having ladies around after years in Male dominated household.  Still look after elderly aunt up in East Midlands. Oh and sold dads house. Great relief. 

Patsy sorry about family - you are better off without if they make you miserable.  I know you have your own lovely brood to buoy you up. 

On a different note anyone seen the Stan and Ollie film. Very good. Enjoyed it. 

Well that's me updated so will enjoy reading your news. Thanks for kind wishes. Xxx

Nice to see you back Ali's girls - I remember you too!  I've name-changed (not sure why!) but I was (and still am!) Sophie P! xx

On 1/4/2019 at 9:48 PM, Valkyrie said:

Wellllll there was a time when there was a young lady that was particularly unpleasant that sparked off a few rows - I think she just liked to provoke people.  So it was another reason for dropping out, but popped back from time to time.  Glad she's gone now!:anxious:

I miss all the drama 😂

Looking back at old threads there are so many familiar names who have gone.  Wonder what happened to them all?  I guess back when the Eglus first appeared some were drawn in by the photos of spotless runs on immaculate lawns.  The shock of the first winters mudpatch might have deterred some.   I know a few locally who were drawn to the idea is cute chickens or saving battery hens only to give up months later. Lost count of the rehoming requests I turned down back in 2008/2009

58 minutes ago, redhotchick said:

Does anyone know what happened to Martin and his orchard? x

Martin popped up a couple of years back - he and his then fiance (probably now his wife) showed up. They seemed very happy and making their way in the Good Life. Sadly, I haven't heard from him since.

I remember him putting his eglus on top of the shed when his street flooded 😄

There’s some lovely memories and blasts from the past on here, thank you for sharing. The forum was a great place to get advice and just have a natter.  I’d forgotten about the 1 minute chocolate cake and the other recipes!

I’ve migrated to FB where I am friends with many omleteers and keep in touch that way.

I still have my secret Santa and other annual swops. My very first gift was a beautiful knitted robin made from the softest wool with a little brown gingham ribbon. He comes out every Christmas and hangs from my fireplace. If you made that present for me then I’d like you to know that I love it dearly. Another present I have is a  framed embroidered chicken picture that I guessed that Penguinmad made me which is on my kitchen wall and it couldn’t match any better if I’d tried. 

I no longer have any ladies, a dog and a cat are enough for now. Eldest son is just about finishing his 4th and final year in uni and youngest is now in year 10. Life goes pretty fast and it’s showing no signs of slowing down. Sorry to hear of the omleteers that are no longer with us :( 

Jules!  Helloooo!  Scary when the children are all growed up.  Mine are talking families now!  Both quite settled in relationships, DD is now living miles away - housing was less expensive than where we were, so now they have a nice home and happy with their careers too.  DS is finally in a very happy relationship and renting with the GF that we love to bits.  She certainly has made him a happier soul and he loves to spend more time with us.  Both saving for a home of their own too.  That makes me happy and somewhat relieved.  

And your little'uns are big'uns!  Good luck in the final year for ES and year 10!  Oh gosh!  Today I feel like a cat and a dog would be nice - got drenched to do the chooks!  LOL!

Here we may get lashed by winds and snow dumped on us, but rain means I can go quilt and the snow - well, I loved it!

Apparently the little road to the village shops was blocked by a Landrover last week.  Someone had tried to plough through the drifts but when it got to a huge 10ft drift (probably blew down from our field hahahaha) they stopped.  Driver of the Landy decided me I'm driving through this from the other side and drove over the snow - came to the drop and abandoned it in the middle of the road up high on the drift!  Friends said they saw the landy drop down gradually to the road as the snow melted away!  And I missed it!  Boo, hiss!  Now that would have made a good photo!

Off to Taunton next week to discuss oak framed building to replace our leaky old garage come workshop come junk storage.  My lovely cupboard that I had the chicken feed in has now got warped doors and doesn't close.  Can't wait for the building to be done, so rather excited at the moment.  Then we will chat about an extension to the kitchen too!  

Loved reading this thread and catching up on the chat.  Must do it more often not only when nagged to join a swap!  

Claret is Dogmother now can't get rid of you that easily 😊  Omletina is living in Yorkshire singing happily surrounded by cats but unfortunately no chickens now.  I think Mostin may have 1 of them still.

I see a lot of old omleteers on Facebook but struggle to remember their forum names.  I best go and catch up on other threads, think I may make that drizzle cake this afternoon!

On 1/3/2019 at 8:51 PM, Valkyrie said:

Well, Purplebotty, some of us rude'uns still pop in!  Now let's see who's modding tonight!!!  Happy new year to you too.  It certainly is different here - my main whinge was the amalgamation of the groups, I think so much lost by that and some things are hard to find.  I still keep in contact with a lot of peeps by phone (poor things!) they are very patient with my ramblings!:lol:

I think a lot of people have moved on from chickens for various reasons, others have moved on to different media. Sadly some have passed on with their wings and harps and haloes - Docsquid last year :cry: and Poet some time ago. Sometimes I pop in and sometimes it's a while - although now that the notifications work it's much easier to keep in contact.  Apart from Plum nagging me to do a secret Santa!:lol:

Not sure about posting on Instagram - I opened an account to follow some quilty peeps but I have had a few people that I don't know actually following me - looking at nothing then!  They must be so bored waiting!:-P

I lost all my old flock late last year, having had to dispatch my grumpy old Squirt - who became a little darling in the end.  But am starting over (after losing two babes to keep Squirt company and costing a fortune at the vets) so now I'm back up to 8 birdies that Chicknboomum had a hand in 5 of those!  Apart from worrying about Mistress Vixen, it's so lovely to have crazy young chickens (one not so sure about her age) and at long last a rooster!  I missed having big birdies and chatty, naggy pekins!

Now moved to Devon and attempting to be Tom and Barbara with a bit of land to play with!:dance: As you can see I still love smileys - er, excessive use ahem!

I popped into look a few times .but agree it's not easy to navigate about. The old look seemed very clear..

On 1/3/2019 at 8:51 PM, Valkyrie said:

Well, Purplebotty, some of us rude'uns still pop in!  Now let's see who's modding tonight!!!  Happy new year to you too.  It certainly is different here - my main whinge was the amalgamation of the groups, I think so much lost by that and some things are hard to find.  I still keep in contact with a lot of peeps by phone (poor things!) they are very patient with my ramblings!:lol:

I think a lot of people have moved on from chickens for various reasons, others have moved on to different media. Sadly some have passed on with their wings and harps and haloes - Docsquid last year :cry: and Poet some time ago. Sometimes I pop in and sometimes it's a while - although now that the notifications work it's much easier to keep in contact.  Apart from Plum nagging me to do a secret Santa!:lol:

Not sure about posting on Instagram - I opened an account to follow some quilty peeps but I have had a few people that I don't know actually following me - looking at nothing then!  They must be so bored waiting!:-P

I lost all my old flock late last year, having had to dispatch my grumpy old Squirt - who became a little darling in the end.  But am starting over (after losing two babes to keep Squirt company and costing a fortune at the vets) so now I'm back up to 8 birdies that Chicknboomum had a hand in 5 of those!  Apart from worrying about Mistress Vixen, it's so lovely to have crazy young chickens (one not so sure about her age) and at long last a rooster!  I missed having big birdies and chatty, naggy pekins!

Now moved to Devon and attempting to be Tom and Barbara with a bit of land to play with!:dance: As you can see I still love smileys - er, excessive use ahem!

What I have always liked is the fox awareness  on here  and the Bible pages.. What happened. Only this week someone was asking for hens or ducks to keep the survivor company.when I suggested they fox proof first.i was told it was a fix proof run.tbe height of the fence it got over was extraordinary...

Hmm...

I may not have been logged in.but I've pointed countless people here.

I have heard that foxes can climb trees to get over the fencing!  I'm sure if they are desperate to get in they'll find a way.  Watched Mistress Vixen this afternoon - she's getting more brave.  Can only do our best.  But I agree - make sure the run is fox proof first.  I've been very lucky over the years so mustn't get complacent.

4 minutes ago, Chick Chick said:

I am now off to see if I can find any of those yummy sounding recipes you have all been mentioning 😁

We found and copied quite a few into the new recipes thread.  The mug cake is in this one somewhere 

• Like 1