Purplemaniacs

What has happened to the forum?

I stopped watching the news or reading the news - I tend to voice my opinions to nobody and found it was such a waste of time and energy when I could be talking to myself nicely instead.  Koojieland is the land of fluffy clouds and sugar mice and sunshine in abundance.  Hmmm, sounds a bit like the Tellytubbies place.  Oh well.:roll:

• Haha 2

I'm hardly the longest running member of the forum, but I actually think it's quite active given the somewhat niche market it serves. It's more active that some of the Doctor Who forums I read (as an example), and that has a weekly audience of around 6.5 million viewers! lol

The whole time I've been here I have only had one very obvious personality clash, but that's what happens when people have very strong opinions! It's easy enough to avoid, I just stop engaging with people who I really clash with. It's easier than spending the day being angry - which is something I am learning to do more and more the older I get.

Although from what I can see pretty much everyone gets on here. It's certainly less aggressive than a lot of social sites - as people have pointed out, Twitter for instance. On Twitter you not only need fairly thick skin, but reasonably sharp claws too! 😂

• Like 1

I think it’s quiet, Andy, to those of us who remember the ‘Olden days’.   Those were the days of arguments ( sorry discussions) about whether the cube leaked or not, or if it did, why? And pictures of set ups, and of AviRies4U and the like.  That’s when chicken keeping in Gardens was very unusual!     And with people on here with lovely names like Penguinmad, Sandyhas3chucks, Redhotsunset etc etc.  Wonder if they ever peek back in?  If you look at the stats, we have a lot of guests.  Maybe some of these are our old friends! 

5 minutes ago, soapdragon said:

Well, I for one am absolutley not going to argue with that cat......unless my neighbour's totally huge Pyreniean (sp!?)  Mountain dog is right next to me :lol:

Most dogs are scared of cats.  It will probably hide behind you at the first sign of those claws 😂

3 hours ago, ajm200 said:

Most dogs are scared of cats.  It will probably hide behind you at the first sign of those claws 😂

Our cats are complete cowards. They make their 'scared' noises and fluff their tails if they can see a pigeon in the garden. :/

On 1/6/2019 at 5:44 PM, Patricia W said:

And pictures of set ups, and of AviRies4U and the like.  That’s when chicken keeping in Gardens was very unusual!     And with people on here with lovely names like Penguinmad, Sandyhas3chucks, Redhotsunset etc etc

I still hanker after an Aviaires4U run! Ours could do with replacing (or a new run if we ever move house!) but I can't find exactly what I want.

Penguinmad! Those names bring back some memories

On 1/6/2019 at 5:44 PM, Patricia W said:

’.   Those were the days of arguments ( sorry discussions) about whether the cube leaked or not, or if it did, why? And pictures of set ups, and of AviRies4U and the like.  

Think I might have been part of those ‘discussions’ 😇 My cube leaked back then and still does even with the rubber bits we were all sent but I wouldn't swap it for any of the new gen. products.    Still want a decent run but have plans to make one from our greenhouse and lots of weldmesh. No way I’d be allowed one of the cool ones that cost real money 

Edited by ajm200

I agree - I don't like the shape of the new cube.  Plus it appears to be smaller, but probably fine for medium birds - can't say for sure as I haven't seen one in person.  Can't see a Jersey Giant squeezing through the door either!  Trigger only just manages in the old Cube!

Penguinmad - didn't she have an avatar with a naughty penguin or was that Chickvic?  Chickvic does running.  Spacechick does triathlons!  Mrs Tillytinkle popped in recently.  It was lovely to see thosenospacesinhersentencesagain!

Ah guilty. For me, I never got used to the new look. I hate it with a passion. I've tried so hard to get past it, but can't. I know that makes me a dionsaur and that all this 'form over function' is how most webmail etc is going. But as someone who grew up in the days of usenet, and where children grew out of needing pictures/graphics with their words, it just confuses and disappoints.

(and I just got a popup notification that someone replied to this thread aaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh!!!! my poor blood pressure)

This is a shame as I so loved this place. Omleteers are a truly wise bunch who know about  everything ❤️

5 hours ago, merlina said:

Ah guilty. For me, I never got used to the new look. I hate it with a passion. I've tried so hard to get past it, but can't. I know that makes me a dionsaur and that all this 'form over function' is how most webmail etc is going. But as someone who grew up in the days of usenet, and where children grew out of needing pictures/graphics with their words, it just confuses and disappoints.

(and I just got a popup notification that someone replied to this thread aaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh!!!! my poor blood pressure)

This is a shame as I so loved this place. Omleteers are a truly wise bunch who know about  everything ❤️

Snap  I loved the old forum so Maybe that makes me a dinosaur too - loved the section where we shared recipes (still use Mrs Clucks mother's xmas cake recipe)  and also showing what people were making.   Miss the old names whom I remember too.   Maybe it's just getting old, it's certainly not lack of computer skills as use them every day.   It is a shame so many are not here and it did get worse when the forum changed.

8 hours ago, ajm200 said:

Can’t we ask for that to be reinstated?

From memory, we were allowed to make suggestions for some changes when it first changed and they were happy to move stuff. But I think there was resistance to making any more. You can always try though matt_b https://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/profile/1678-matt_b/ is the person to contact.

It was a bit clunky at first and I think a few of the more casual users just couldn't be bothered, so left.