Daphne

In the kitchen

As I remember, Gary Rhodes and Keith Floyd were the forerunners (or pioneers!) of the TV chefs. Both had such energy and enthusiasm and really made me want to get into the kitchen and get cooking. And Gary was only 59 😲. Very sad.

I have decided to clear out my cupboards this weekend. I was looking for a tin of beans for lunch (you'll notice that we live the high life here!) and, pushed to the back of the utility room cupboard, two large kilner jars of pickled pears that I made 5 years ago, rowan jelly made by MIL (who died over 20 years ago), raspberry jam made by my mum which had a pretty, furry green crust on as well as about 5 jars of varying sizes of assorted home made and now unidentifiable goop. Made me feel like a real wastrel. Have resolved to only make what we will eat and not to hoard. On the upside, I'll have lots of jars to make more stuff once I've cleared out the contents!

I might be able to beat that.  I have a jar of rhubarb and fig jam, a LARGE storage jar of pudding rice, a similar one of flour ( no idea if SR, or what - tasted it, am still alive but no wiser ) and some prunes.   All from MIL who died in 1996...... and all labelled by her in her handwriting ( apart from the mysterious white stuff I have allocated the term ‘flour’) 

Problem is, I can’t bear to throw them away...

• Haha 1

This is how they came out. I roasted them for about an hour. Apparently they're nice as they are as a side or as they're very soft they can be stirred into mashed potatoes or pasta or soups, all sorts of things. Mine are all in a pot in the fridge while I think about what I've done. The jar is a herby spice mix from Europe which is very nice and I buy all the pots I can see if I see them. All my family likes cooking with it and I even have to send pots of it to Japan. 

IMG_20200212_143631.jpg

I'm gradually eating less and less meat and not really missing it tbh but one dish I love is meatloaf but I'm aware that my recipe is not healthy eating so I've been searching for a veggie option. I tried this today and it's brilliant. I'm pretty certain I could pass this off as an actual meatloaf and so delicious. I'm afraid it's not vegan for anyone who is. 

IMG_20200508_144540.jpg

Hopefully this link will work. I couldn't be bothered to cook a proper meal yesterday but I had made some bread rolls so we had it cold. One of the things I wanted was that it should work as a cold cut and we all agreed that it did. It will be interesting to see what the rest is like after a night in the fridge but so far so good. https://www.acouplecooks.com/vegetarian-meatloaf/

• Like 1

That looks very tasty, which I think is half the battle, and looking at the recipe I bet it is!

Yesterday we made some elderflower cordial.  Its dead easy.  We used 12-15 small elderflower flowers, 1 litre water, 300g sugar, 4 lemons. You dissolve the sugar in the water by bringing it to the boil, alongside the juice of 2 lemons and 2 sliced lemons.  Let it cool, then steep the flowers in the mixture for anything between 6 - 24 hours.  After 6 hours it was delicate and fragrant.  After 24 it was a bit harsher.  When we do it again, we'll probably leave it about 8 hours.  Strain and decant into bottle.  OH says to keep it in fridge in case it explodes!

As it's the first day of Autumn I've just made a huge slab of Parkin (after great difficulty in locating medium oatmeal!) and the whole house smells gingery! Half a slab to eat now and half to wrap in cling and tuck away for a few weeks!

I ended up having to get 6 x 750g bags of oatmeal from Amazon.......none of the shops round here seem to sell it. The Queue Up do a wholefoods range but discontinued half of it recently and I didn't fancy trogging into Oxford just for oatmeal. We use quite a lot as home made digestive biscuits are wonderful, especially with strong cheese. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soapdragon said:

As it's the first day of Autumn I've just made a huge slab of Parkin (after great difficulty in locating medium oatmeal!) and the whole house smells gingery! Half a slab to eat now and half to wrap in cling and tuck away for a few weeks!

I ended up having to get 6 x 750g bags of oatmeal from Amazon.......none of the shops round here seem to sell it. The Queue Up do a wholefoods range but discontinued half of it recently and I didn't fancy trogging into Oxford just for oatmeal. We use quite a lot as home made digestive biscuits are wonderful, especially with strong cheese. 

Goodness I could have sent you loads of oatmeal - all our shops up here have it obviously as we scottish folks like our porridge!! :)  Parkin sounds great,

I love parkin, OH says it was always around on Bonfire Night in Yorkshire, he has very fond memories of it.  I can't buy black treacle over here, but I can buy cane molasses which is kind of similar (less black and more sweet, so not brilliant, but it'll have to do) so I make Anzac biscuits which aren't really the same as parkin at all, although there is something similar in the flavour, and I can get them to go chewy.  They involve oats rather than oatmeal - which I also can't buy - and OH loves them, so they go down well as a vague approximation to the real thing!  The other win is that they are a doddle to make.

As its beginning to turn cooler my thoughts are turning to the kitchen again, over the summer we hardly cooked at all unless it involved the barbecue or the minimum amount of time at the stove, even pasta was too much of a stretch some days.  The oven became a receptacle putting things in out of the way of the cat or any stray flies!

However, yesterday OH made a lovely veggie lasagne with all sorts of veg which are ripe now and today I am doing a chicken/rice dish, which is a good way of using up leftovers (and hiding tomatoes, which are currently making an appearance at every meal).

I suppose the other thing we are all doing is processing stuff from the harvest. The one thing I want to get hold of are pickling onions!

Ohhh, Anzac biscuits! Yes, we make those quite often........but, as you say, 'porridge oats' rather than oatmeal. I like the coconut too! I haven't been in baking mode for ages but, now that the boys are back at school, need to get a wiggle on as they take a home made comestible of some description for mid morning snack (they don't break for lunch until 1.20pm). I have, however, made Welsh cakes quite a lot over summer as they are griddle cooked so no hot oven steaming the place up. They are far, far better eaten very fresh though so don't really get to establish residency in the cake box 😉. Hugh Fearlessly Eatsitall has a fab recipe for a sort of flapjack that has lemon zest in it, which really lifts the sweetness. It's also jam packed with loads of seeds (you can use what you like but I mix flax seeds, Pumpkin, sesame, sunflower) which is great for those ladies amongst us of a certain age 🥵.

However, to paraphrase that 'old bloke' from the Fast Show (Jesse's Diet??) this month we have mostly been eating blackberries!

• Haha 1