Well folk’s the base coat is on! Heavy rain ️ in Manchester stopped play for a few days & I’ve been itching to get two coats on. It took a litre of PVC 17 Paint 🎨 from HMG Paints Ltd. In Matte Leaf Green 🍃 RAL 6002 & I did FREAK as of course it went on too bright & glossy & yet as you can see: It’s settled to more the dull matte finish & shade, phew 😅...... I have to say, (as you’ll all know) the Polypropylene shell can mark, scratch & be gouged with ease!  So finding a Robust Matte finish sealant once done is VITAL & my Cube won’t be allowed any outer rough & tumble! I can’t afford spare paint to be touching it up a lot & will look for something to give UV protection until I can roof my enclosure over it. The Paint went on with ease but it was more drippy than gloss yet very quick drying, so took all afternoon & evening. Next is the fun bit, stencil making on astatate & getting create with graffiti style digital camouflage......

0FC34446-3BC5-405B-9EEA-99B69C95336D.jpeg

095969C8-8E07-4E59-B711-FA2089044E59.jpeg

D867941A-DF81-4ABA-9880-45C03231AF8E.jpeg

F07EE87A-E741-450D-8C8A-017F4D285260.jpeg

2E93A823-4E41-4F34-AF42-7B9F6715BAC3.jpeg

385250CB-B616-4BDB-9759-4BC500B6142A.jpeg

692B8D50-F2D6-44FC-8A3B-34C51F6F2E79.jpeg

Thanks AndyRoo: I’ve chosen a dark colour as it’s the base colour over which I’ll spray paint 🎨 a digital camouflage pattern: Some in brighter highlights & some in darker shades. If I was going for an all over plain colour, I agree & a brighter shade would be better. I’ve stalled on the paint job for a few weeks because I’ve been extending the enclosure & moved 4 tons of free woodchip to remulch the 23.5 Square Foot & it’s now 3 or 4” deep!  Once I’ve made the stencils & finished the paint job, I’ll use a sealant to try and ensure it weathers well..... Some have UV protective properties.  Neil 

8F5A9BDE-BCB9-4464-90D1-241AD84FE2CE.jpeg

49 minutes ago, Luvachicken said:

But where are the chickens ?:whistle:

Not that I'm impatient or anything......

I went to a chicken show today, and Rich was quite taken by the Brahma hens because of their 'fluffy feet'. I told him we couldn't have one and when he asked why, I had to show him the size of a full grown hen. He was astonished that hens could get that big. lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hahaha! Luvachicken, I’ve a family holiday planned in July, so no hens until after then, I’ve not the foggiest clue about where I’m gonna get hen’s from locally in August? Around Manchester as it’s normally the Spring when I’ve looked in the past..... 

On 6/30/2019 at 10:45 PM, AndyRoo said:

because of their 'fluffy feet'. I told him we couldn't have one and when he asked why, I had to show him the size of a full grown hen.

Because Luvachicken hasn’t said it yet I will - you could get some pekins - they have fluffy feet 😊

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mullethunter said:

Because Luvachicken hasn’t said it yet I will - you could get some pekins - they have fluffy feet 😊

I was just getting to the bottom of the list ......:lol:

I would have suggested them of course, they are fab and have varying sizes of slippers 😊

14 hours ago, AndyRoo said:

He's quite taken with Frizzles and Silkies - but I'm not sure how well they would mix.

Nooooo!

Not Silkies (sorry, did I say that out loud? :anxious:

Both breeds aren't waterproof and neither can fly, so will need ramps to help them get up into any housing. Silkies are madly broody too :/ I don't care for Silkies (can you tell?) but always have a frizzle or two as they are so friendly and amazing fun. You just need to make sure that they have access to a covered run at all times and a step up to help them get on the ladder.

I’m not taken by any breed which goes broody.  I think I’ve been spoiled with my Polands.  They have some disadvantages in that they need a covered run in winter but they do lay well.  An egg a day between March and late September.  I’m down to one oldie now and just have a Barbu D’Ucle laying.  She’s one week on and two weeks off most of the time.  Still, she’s pretty... 

Neil, it’s been quiet for a bit.  How is the great transformation going? 

• Thanks 1

Loving 🥰 all your insightful comments about your hen’s folks. Patricia W, Poland’s sound quirky I’ll look them up for sure. 

Sorry 😐 I’ve been a bit quiet 🤫 of late folks, I’ve been having a bit of nightmare just stencilling the door of my cube alone & so just gotten a bit fed up! 

As you can see: It took me several attempts to stencil in the hen correctly & then to my horror as I was spraying “farm fresh” the stencil became unstuck! Arghhh causing blurred & vague text, which I now need to re-do.....So being far too clever for my skill level & worry an all over digital camouflage paint 🎨 job is beyond me? 

So stepped away from it  few days until my patience & can do attitude returns lol....Luckily I can spray out any mistakes on the door with primer, I won’t have that luxury on the main body as I’m fresh out of paint...... 

Not all plain sailing ️ Neil x

455B1855-9B35-4FA9-8C6A-6BD961FBA967.thumb.jpeg.eabcdadb203a0009d7cd844bf1c22fd6.jpeg

6 hours ago, Patricia W said:

That’s magnificent!   I’d just pretend it’s not blurred and let people think they’re a bit short sighted... 

I was going to add: I think it looks find as is. Just tell people it's meant to look aged/shabby-chic if they say anything!