Annabel

Fixed run floor - Aubiouse or hard wood chips?

I have a 3x1m partially covered run (with the 2m clear plastic Omlet cover) with an Eglu Cube.  The run is now going to be fixed (following the advice from others on here).  I've found a great spot but need advice on what to put on the run floor. 

On Flytes so Fancy they recommend thick hard wood chips on earth floor such that the chickens can dig around for worms and bugs underneath and (regularly hosed down and changed a couple of times a year).

Others on here have suggested slabs under the entire run and then aubiouse on top.

Can anyone help me out please with the pros and cons of each as I am finding it really hard to work out which would suit us the best.

Thank you so much.

You’ll get votes on this forum for all three of those alternatives. However I would definitely advocate slabs. If you don’t have slabs I think you’re likely to find that the earth will get mixed in with whatever flooring you choose and will become a mess. 
Then if your run is partially covered I would go for hard wood chip (this is what I have). It doesn’t do it any harm to get damp around the edges. If you can keep it completely dry then aubiose would be a good option too (although I’ve never used it myself).

• Thanks 1

I agree with mullethunter. My self I have slabs thought out the run and cover it with soft straw and It is so easy to clean.

Once I clean it out I just put a lump of straw in and the ladies pull it to peices then every afternoon I put corn among the straw 

and they have great fun scratching a round to find it,

If you put any thing on a soil floor, when it gets damp the soil will come to the top and go very stale with the constant poo on it.

Peter

58 minutes ago, Peter said:

PS- I would not bother with small amounts of  aubiouse when you can buy a bale of soft barley straw for a fraction of the price.

Peter

Well for a fraction of the cost you do get a bale of straw that will make a perfect home for all sorts of pests, like mites and lice and will go mouldy much faster. So please do use aubiose or woodchips.

• Like 1

Hardwood wood chip fan here 😊 ( thanks to Mullethunter ) 

Mine also came from Flyte so Fancy  - we drove there for the day as that was cheaper in petrol than their postage.

I am still on our original purchase of the woodchips and they have been excellent, and I think they have been in the run for 3 years already, possibly 4 now.

I once got mine a bale of straw to sit on and peck at and to be honest it caused crop problems so I would never give them straw again in any form, Cat tails is right too in what she has said. 

45 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

Well for a fraction of the cost you do get a bale of straw that will make a perfect home for all sorts of pests, like mites and lice and will go mouldy much faster. So please do use aubiose or woodchips.

Exactly - anyone who has kept livestock will tell you that straw harbours mites, and it also has a nasty tendency to look perfectly fresh on to, and be a mire of mud, poo and mould underneath. Luckily things have moved on recently.

I would advocate slabs, covered run, Aubiose and a weekly sprinkle of ground sanitising powder - simple and effective.

My run is on hard Thames Valley clay.  The run is covered so it’s like cement. I have slabs outside and inside round the perimeter leaving the centre bare earth.   I use aubiouse in it with hardwood chips in the open uncovered area they have.   Before I found aubiouse I tried straw, hay, etc etc so learned through my mistakes and listening to the folks on here 

Thanks everyone for your replies and descriptions of what you do which has helped me decide.  I think I'll go with slabs and hardwood chips because it sounds like that is the best option if my run isn't 100% covered (sadly I'll be paying the Flyte so Fancy shipping as we aren't very close!  Sounds like 3 bags for my 3mx1m run ought to do it and hopefully it will last a long time!  Thanks again to everyone who responded. x

• Thanks 1