Leicester_H

Recipe wanted for home-made OVEN chips

Hi

Last night tried a recipe for these - cut into 1cm thick chips - blanch for 5 mins in boiling water. Dry well, - roasting pan with oil. Oven as high as it would go (fan oven at 250C) - 25 mins (recipe said 15-20!). Cooked but not CRISP! Quite tasty as had left skin on.

Anyone got a tried and trusted recipe ? or maybe isn't possible in oven ??

H

I've only 'oven chipped' sweet potato wedges and yes, you do have to make sure that they are well coated. I usually toss them in some oil on the baking tray then use an oil spray half way through cooking if it looks as though they are not crisping.........sometimes finish under the grill, as CT says.

I never follow recipes but tend to use whatever’s in the cupboards, made pulled chicken baguettes and chips for us all last night. 
Chunkier than yours and left skins on, maybe 1.5-2cm? Standard chip shop sized :lol:

Didn’t boil anything. Chucked half a cm of oil in the bottom of the pan with garlic, salt&pepper, oregano and smoked paprika and chucked it all in on 200°C fan. Chicken took 30mins then shredded with two forks (plus BBQ sauce and a bit of mayo) but chips needed another 15 (so 45mins total). They were delicious, fluffy and crispy like roasties :D 

I realised as I was turning them halfway through I‘d overcrowded the tray so split them into 2 deep oven trays and they then cooked much quicker.

So not very scientific but I would guess you’re cooking them too hot and too quick?

These are the only chips we have at home - cut into chip shapes and put on baking sheet - use some olive/ sunflower oil or whatever you have and coat each chip with a little  I use a pastry brush and put in oven 160 fan oven for about 30 mins till cooked - sprinkle with salt if liked and serve - they are delicious.  It does not need lots of oil to cook them.  Leave the skins on if quite clean potatoes.

4 hours ago, Lewis said:

Didn’t boil anything. Chucked half a cm of oil in the bottom of the pan with garlic, salt&pepper, oregano and smoked paprika and chucked it all in on 200°C fan. Chicken took 30mins then shredded with two forks (plus BBQ sauce and a bit of mayo) but chips needed another 15 (so 45mins total). They were delicious, fluffy and crispy like roasties :D 

I make mine very much the same. But I toss the chips with oil, herbs etc before putting them into a shallow baking tray. spread out evenly. 

When I make oven chips, I pre-heat the oven to 180c, and then I was the potatoes and cut them into 'chips' with the skins on.

In a large bowl, I add a couple of spoonfuls of sunflower oil, and then add some paprika and a little cayenne pepper - with some salt and black pepper, drop the chips into the bowl and mix them all by hand until they're coated in the oil and seasoning, put 'em on a baking tray and then bake them for about 20 minutes. I don't do any pre-boiling, and they all come out fine for me.

• Like 1

I find I get the best results if I give them a dig around 2 or 3 times during the cooking process - more evenly crispy. I actually deliberately use a tray they stick to a little bit so I have to scrape them off the bottom as this makes them even more crispy. Lots of salt and pepper too :-)

• Like 1

Apparently you can use veggie peelings to make crisps this way too! Recipe suggested potato, carrot and parsnip. As there are so many nutrients just under the skin that would make sense and I can kid myself that I am having a super healthy snack! We are having our roast tomorrow and I am going to save the peelings and give it a try - nothing if not hopeful and optimistic!!!! Will report back.