majorbloodnock

Just 'cos you might like to see......

I think a lot of people are beginning to notice what is around them.  My Canadian cuz lives in Toronto and they've been really taking note of the plants, the insects and the furries.  She said it's been there all the time, but they never actually stopped to look.  Lovely woodpecker and baby.  Yip yip yip!

Thats a wonderful photo.   We have them all the time just now at the peanut feeders in the garden but not seen such a young one as that.   They are beautiful birds.  There is a robin nesting in an old tree stump in the garden about 4 inches from the ground and she has 4 or 5 tiny tiny babies with bright yellow mouths - they are sweet but difficult to get photos as so dark at that part of the garden.   A sparrowhawk had nabbed a blue tit this weekend unfortunately but I suppose they have to eat too🙁

3 hours ago, Blackrocksrock said:

There is a robin nesting in an old tree stump in the garden about 4 inches from the ground and she has 4 or 5 tiny tiny babies with bright yellow mouths - they are sweet but difficult to get photos as so dark at that part of the garden.

Whilst talking about chicks, here's another photo I managed to get in the garden. It's a blue tit chick after its first flight out of the nest; the flight was successful, but the landing less so since it ended up in our pond. It wasn't able to fly properly afterwards, so managed to get enough height to find a safe twig to perch on and dry out again. In this case, my taking photos of it was probably a help since it guaranteed our and our neighbours cats didn't try to get too close.

DSC_0799_1024h.jpg

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Patricia W said:

You’re a brilliant photographer! 

I'd love that that were the case, but no. I'm a reasonable photographer and for opportunities like these I'm a lucky photographer, but if you want brilliance I'd point you towards Oliver Hellowell's site. That young man sees the world around him with a slightly different perspective which I could only aspire to. Oh, and read his biography after you've seen some of his pictures.

Well thank you for the compliments.

As an aside, what you see in a professional’s portfolio - and mine too, of course - is the successes. It belies the many many more failures and almost-but-not-quites one has to take to get to the keepers. It’s just I have a worse ratio than the pros.