Having now decided on a blue cube, I am wondering about the grub/glug situation.

I know there are lots of questions about the new glug, but i'm prepared to give it a go, however I was wondering, is the new grub bigger than the eglu one?

In the literature it says the grub is big enough to feed 6 chickens over a weekend, the eglu one definitely isn't! Is the cube grub bigger, because if it isn't, I'll need another one. Don't tell my DH though! :)

I have also emailed Johannas and James about leak, nest box and glug several times since August and have not even received the courtesy of an acknowledgement. I love my cube and my girls :D - and have told Omlet so, but I am dissapointed :( in their aftercare. (What after care I hear you ask?) I've told them that too :oops:

Please will someone at Omlet respond to our concerns.

However, although whenever I have telephoned omlet the people on the phone have always been very nice, they do not seem interested in problems once you have the product. I bought a cube and an eglu within a week of each other and when I telephoned to say that there were no instructions with the eglu and that when I got the roosting bars out, some of the slats fell off and that one of them had a knot so big in it that the bars had broken into two in the package, I was told to download the instructions off the website and that there was nothing they could do about the bars...I just had to use some glue on them.

This is not good after sales service considering that this is not a cheap item. I do think that they need to think about this.

i gave up on the grubs as they just kept being knocked off by the girls fighting to get near them. i bought a fantastic green enamelled galvanised feeder from e-bay which is great. the girls can all get around it and it has a rain shield and a stand so i no longer get damp food.

when i spoke to omlet about the bars and my leeking cube they were not really interested so i made my own bars and have almost sorted the leak myself. i think the cube bars are pretty poor quality and the pins are not big enough so they fall to bits. i have found it almost impossible to get any mess off them. i have made my own out of waste wood and they are super strong and free. but the same wood in b&q only costs a few pounds.

Do you know the Cube is the most expensive present I have ever bought for anyone (for OH for Fathers day) and that was only this year, one set of bars don't get used as they have completely fallen to bits and I haven't got round to nailing them back together. The second set I had to take apart and reassemble using nails that actually went all the way through. The shade that came with it is faded and looking pretty shabby already. Could DEFINITELY have done with another feeder as standard - we have 7 hens but it's advertised as a home for up to 10. I love our cube and our hens, best thing I ever bought, but at less than a year old it's already looking tired and faded. Did the Eglu's fade this quickly?

Mrs B

I've had good service from Omlet and I think the product is good value for money. My roosting bars started to come apart very soon, but its really easy to put extra screws/nails into them to hold them together - and I made spare sets as well.

When I was missing a clip from my Cube on delivery, Johannes was really nice on the phone and it was posted out to arrive in a couple of days.

I don't have any complaints.

But Richard, you are handy and can fix things. I wouldn't be able to mend roosting bars: whenever I attempt to bang a nail into anything, it splits in half.

People shouldn't have to resort to DIY to put defects right on such an expensive item. It should be perfect.

And if you are told by Omlet not to contact them about the new Glug because you will be sent it automatically, and then they don't bother to send them out, I think that is poor service.

I find Omlet's service either superb or quite hopeless: they don't seem to steer a middle course like most manufacturers.

I can't complain on the one hand either - there were two clips missing on delivery which they posted and I got two days later, they posted me my super-glug thingy within two days of me phoning, but I did have to phone, and I got the cube in April/May time, I got the glug only 10 days ago. As a fairly new product I don't mind there being a few design features that could be improved upon, but when I spend the best part of £700 on something I expect them to use screws, nails or staples that will actually hold the roosting bars together, I don't expect to have t repair it myself. I also think that for the money it should have come with two feeders as, like I said previously, it is advertised as a house for up to 10 hens. When you spend a lot of money I think you're entitled to demand something a bit special.

Mrs Bertie

Awww, give 'em a break.

I really like my Cube, and although I accept that people have had minor niggles, you just get that these days. "Ooops, word censored!"ody is perfect and things can't always be right.

I'm trying to get a screen and printer delivered to my home from work and the courier has given me four dates and not turned up on any of them!

I expect to have to do a bit of fixing and fiddling with almost anything I buy - I start from a position of anticipating stuff to be rubbish and need work ... then I'm delighted when, as with my cube, what I have to do is minimal! :lol::lol:

I don't have any worry having to beef up the roosting bars - if they made them better they would charge me more. And anyway, I anticipate chucking them away in a couple of years and making fresh ones, just to keep everything nice.

Give the boys at Omlet (and girls if there are some) a pat on the back - yes there are hassles and they need to know about them, but all it all its a great product.

If you're reading this Johannes, you can put the cheque in the post! :wink:

I have also emailed Johannas and James about leak, nest box and glug several times since August and have not even received the courtesy of an acknowledgement. I love my cube and my girls :D - and have told Omlet so, but I am dissapointed :( in their aftercare. (What after care I hear you ask?) I've told them that too :oops:

Please will someone at Omlet respond to our concerns.

If you email barbara@omlet.co.uk , she will usually manage to get a reply for you.

I love our cube and our hens, best thing I ever bought, but at less than a year old it's already looking tired and faded. Did the Eglu's fade this quickly?

Mrs B

My 2nd hand Mark 1 is very faded. I think it might have to do with the cleaning products used on it. I remember reading it somewhere. out of interest have you used anything other than water on yours?