james

New Forum - What do you think?

Apologies if this has been suggested already (I know it's been mentioned).

Could the smilies all be shown on the left? There's room for them. Or if it's to do with times of pages loading, could the chickens, eggs and eglus be put on the "view more smilies" page - they're used less than the others, I'd have thought.

Just an idea!

Sorry - I haven't read through the posts but it doesn't seem to make any difference to me. I can post messages just the same so thats cool. Otherwise - no change and no probs.

Thanks for the developments but its a bit like mobile phones - I just want one that I can phone from and am not interested in all the bells and whistles.

The forum was fine before and it is fine now.

I'm glad the text colour seems to have changed. Hey, I just went to update my profile, and there's a 'Friends and Foes' section! You can identify friends :lol: .... or mark your foes :twisted: so you don't have to read their posts!

Now, who shall I put on my list ... mwahahaha!

Been away for a week and off the forum for about a week and a half. It reminds me of the time when I went to my Gran's for a week when I was little and came back to find that my Mum had got rid of loads of my stuff :shock:

I haven't explored yet, I looked for a thread about the changes when I saw that everything was different. One comment so far is that it is hard on the eyes and the font is definitely smaller.

Jeepers you take two weeks out and everything is different :roll:

What do I like :?:

It is much faster 8)

It seems to be able to do more :shock:

Looks 'shinier' :lol:

The little logos you can use for your PM's :oops:

What don't I like :evil:

Why won't the red message stars go away when i have logged off and why won't the mark all topics read button work :evil:

My PM notification has stopped working:roll: :roll:

Worst of all it won't allow me to be logged in without having to enter my details which takes time :cry:

Haven't tried the gallery yet :wink:

Isit just me? I can't get the additional page of smilies to work :( . It's not the end of the world, and absolutely not a serious complaint, but I felt the urgent need for the vom emoticon earlier and it wouldn't work, so I experimented and couldn't get clap, or angel or pray either....in fact couldn't get any of the ones I tried :(

Oh, and I keep clicking "save" instead of "submit" post :roll: . Not entirely convinced about the need for the feature that asks you if you still want to submit your post when there have been posts added in the time that you've taken to add your response :? . Clever though, and I guess there may be times when it comes in handy....not quite sure where though.

Kate - you can only use the extra smilies if you have some text already in the box :?

So, you can't start a post with :clap::clap::clap: for instance.

Thanks Lesley, I hadn't actually realised that, but I did want to add a smilie in the middle of a post...the vom smilie seemed particularly apprpriate to follow a description of the gubbins to be found in the bottom of my toaster :lol::lol:

Bizarre, just tried to do them again, and somehow they all listed, in their text version in the pop up smilies box, above the pictures of the row of smilies :shock: . I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, never had a problem using them before, but it's no big deal, I can manage without :D

Morning everyone.

I've just been reading through a few of the comments made recently and thought I'd try and address a few of them.

So, in no particular order...

The font size has now been increased very slightly over the entire forum. Hopefully everything will now be slightly easier to read.

I've been trying to get all the smilies (or as many as I can) to show on the post page but the board software isn't playing ball at the moment. I'll keep trying with this one.

To create lists in posts you need to add list elements for each line of text you want to be included in the list itself. If using the Ordered List ([List=]) you need to add either A or a number after the equals symbol to tell the board which style of list you want. Hope that makes sense.

With regards to the 'View more smilies' link, the mark as read problems and the squished previous post text. These all may be problems caused by a stale browser cache. Those affected by these issues may want to try performing a force-refresh of the board by holding shift and clicking the browser's reload / refresh. With the View More smilies link specifically it may also be worth checking that your browser isn't blocking any of the boards popup windows.

For those of you not receiving email notifications. We believe this is to do with the change of server and your ISP's mail servers now flagging the notifications as spam. We're changed how the emails are sent, with them now being relayed through the omlet mail server. Hopefully this will have the desired effect of letting the emails through.

As for how long it took to upgrade. In total it took about 10 to 12 hours over a period of 3 or 4 days, including 1 test upgrade, 1 failed upgrade and a final complete thankfully fully working upgrade, each of which took about 3 hours, and the remainder installing the software and creating the forum style.

Hi Matt, I just thought I'd say that I got an email notification for this thread. :D:D

I don't think the notifications have been spammed as I get all my spam marked as spam in a Junk folder. I would have noticed the Omlet emails.

Thanks so much for the update Matt2; it's good to know that we have such a capable 'monkey' on the case.

I don't have caching problems on my browser as I have personalised the settings, but the previous message text still bunches up over to the left :?

You've all worked like stink on this and we're really appreciative of all the bother you've been through. It's just that if you ask for a list of 'wants' or queries on this forum, you'll get a whole bunch :lol:

Re the list problem, I noticed that the same problem was occuring on the courses page so that the list in my text showed code. I did PM Matt Brown about this.

Edit... back again... The Mark all posts read button on each individual forum doesn't work (sorry of someone has already mentioend this :oops: ) i don't want to clear the whoel board, just that section.