Guest Poet

I could do with some hugs, so upset :0(

My little baby budge, Harry, has gone to sleep. I say baby but he was 11 years old but we've had him since he was a chick. He hadn't been eating or drinking for the last couple of days. We agonised over taking him to the vets as he's never been to the vets before, he's always been such a healthy bird. We weighed up the pros and cons and I decided to take him, just in case there was anything they could do for him and if not, I couldn't bear just watching him fade away in front of me.

The vet didn't know what was wrong with him but suspected it was old age and said we could try antibiotics but if they didn't work, that would just prolong his suffering. We decided it was the kindest thing to let him go. He was gently put to sleep with anaesthetic gas and given an injection to put him to sleep.

He's in a cardboard box, padded with kitchen roll to make him comfy and his head is resting on his mirror, so he'll have a friend with him. We'll bury him under the apple tree, near the bird table tomorrow.

These are a couple of my favourite pictures of him, one with my niece and one of him at Christmas last year.

I can't stop crying but I know it was the kindest thing to do. Night night my little boy xxxx

harry1.JPG

harry2.JPG

thanks everyone, still so unspeakably sad. Can't believe he's gone. Was going to rehome/rescue a cple more budgies in his memory but the places I've rung so far only rehome if you have an aviary. Probably just as well as birds should be in flocks really :?

It stopped raining so Ian has buried him now, he has his favourite swing and his mirror with him to keep him company.

Funny how something so small can leave such a big hole in your heart.