BeckyBoo

Foods I will shamelessly admit to liking.....

:roll: Not a food as such... but I loooove the taste of Woodwards Gripe Water! My mother rang the Dr. when I was little 'cos I drank a whole bottle about 56 years ago. Don't know if it still tastes as nice as I remember it from when my kids were little!

Jackiex

I used to give that to my daughter and she used to call it "hic-cup medicine" - as it used to help get rid of them!

Louise

One word

SMASH :drool::drool::dance::dance::P:P

they changed the recipe a few years back and I'm not sure I like it as much as I used to :?:(:?

Yuk yuk yuk food of the devil :vom: ! I think they fed us Smash or similar during the potato famine of my childhood (mid 70s?) It put me off mashed potato in any form for years. I think it was the revolting little boy sitting opposite me who put me off, his manners were unbelievable - I won't go into details :shock::vom::shameonu: !!!

Pot Noodles - used to have them as lunch on the way down to Cornwall every summer, about 6 hours then!! DS discovered them at school, so we had a PotNoodle picnic one day after dropping DD at Brownie camp - followed by a cup of hot choc and a mars bar too if I remember, good healthy stuff!

Angel delight - makes brill thick milkshakes,

Crumpets toasted, with butter & crispy herrings roes spread on top - food of the gods :drool::drool:

Cream crackers topped with tinned mackerel - usually after midnight when my late shift finished, then up early for the morning shift & the less appetising smell of mackerel oil :vom:

Chip butty with tomato ketchup or mayo or both - not bland at all! Fresher the bloomer loaf the better though!

Oh dear I could go on all morning!! Just as well I got my porridge in my tum before I read this.... :lol:

Sha x

I agree on Smash being the food of the devil, YUK YUK YUK :shock:

We were given it at primary school and it was really horrible.

Now real potatoes mashed with loads of butter are a different story :drool:

I can't believe that there are people out there who have never had a chip butty :shock: We have to have nice fresh white well buttered bread if chips are served here :D

:roll: Not a food as such... but I loooove the taste of Woodwards Gripe Water! My mother rang the Dr. when I was little 'cos I drank a whole bottle about 56 years ago. Don't know if it still tastes as nice as I remember it from when my kids were little!

Jackiex

If you like the taste of gripe water you'll looooooooooooooove Kummel - spearmint liquor. Drank far too much of it at New Year and paid the price :vom::vom::vom: but at least your breath always smells fresh :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just to digress very slightly...... :roll:

when I was expecting middle child (1975) I could be found baking (from scratch) fresh bread rolls at 2 am which had to be eaten as a picnic back in bed with tins of smoked oysters or snails. Still love them now!

Jackiex

I always had my doubts about you Jackie :wink::lol:

Ann.....WHY?........ what's wrong with that? Don't knock it 'til you've tried it :lol: Chip butties spring to mind :wink:

Susiepoos.....Kummel on shopping list for tomorrow.....sure I've got indigestion or hiccups or something it would be good for!

Jackiex

Jackie..... if I haven't had a chip butty you can be sure I'm not going to have smoked oysters!! :lol::lol::lol:

Everytime we're abroad we try goading each other into having oysters but we both can't bring ourselves to try them. I think I would just end up chucking them up over the table :oops:

Smoked oysters (and mussels ) are totally different to fresh ones. I like both, though I can understand some peoples reluctance to try them......but then.....p'raps you're right....I may be odd, I will always try something once!

Used to really bug me when the kids used to bring friends home for tea and the little darlings used to say (to something quite normal!) 'I don't like that!', to which I would reply 'have you ever tried it?'.....'No but......', 'Well, tell me you don't like it AFTER you've tried it!'

Jackiex

Deep fried oysters - so delish - not raw, eeewwww. Snails though are chewy, bleh! :vom:

Haven't tried frog's legs, but OH likes them (poor fwoggies).

Also I like squid but not keen on octopus. Quite like alligator, but that's for holiday treats if and when we go back to Florida.

Yep snails are definitely too chewy but smell divine if covered in garlic. Like mussels and squid. Tried octopus years ago when I worked for Japanese stockbrokers.

My Nan was an adventurous cook and so my mum always cooked lots of different things. I used to look forward to going to my Dad's mum's house though as she always cooked Fray Bentos tinned pies and mash - yummy :D

Ambrosia creamed rice

Lea & Perrins sauce ( love it, go through a bottle a week :oops: )

I love lots of strange stuff too, like snails,frogs legs & so forth.

I will try anything once....the only thing I have ever baulked at & not liked when I did try it was fluffy bunny.

My faliure to call it rabbit probably had a lot to do with it :roll::lol:

....the only thing I have ever baulked at & not liked when I did try it was fluffy bunny.

My faliure to call it rabbit probably had a lot to do with it :roll::lol:

When I first read this I thought you meant the Scout's game of stuffing as many marshmallows in your mouth...and yes I agree I couldn't do this either!!! :vom:

I've never tried rabbit for similar reasons though :wink:

Oooo I think I have a tin of Ambrosia in the cupboard, perfect cold day comfort food! I always think that half a tin is enough...then go back for the other half quite quickly after :whistle:

Sha x

Eating a raw oyster is like having a really bad cold, not nice. :vom:

:D:D:D

I SO agree .. was trying to think of a nice way to describe it, I tried oysters once and never again, luckily it was at a posh party and I wasn't paying.

Now, onto nicer things - how about some toast with beef dripping on, yum yum!