Ain't Nobody Here

We're all planning walk in runs! Let's share!

So I phoned Tony and he confirmed that our electric screwdriver is rubbish!
If you have an electric drill, get some screw drivers bits and insert them into the drill chuck. Then use that to put the screws into the run panels. Drills have much more power and torque, so the screws will all go in much more easily. If you are using an electronic drill, put the torque on its highest setting, or turn it off altogether (i.e. drilling mode). That way all the power goes to inserting the screws. I only got half-way round my run before both my drills were out of battery, the screws need to be done up tightly and that drains the power from the re-chargeable batteries quite quickly.

Glad things are under way, looks like you'll have good weather on Saturday. Don't forget to charge the camera batteries tonight as well as your drill/screwdriver :).

Andrew

Great photos Andrew. Can I ask does the grub and glug not fit onto the side of the run or should I have ordered the freestanding food thing? I can't remember seeing it when I ordered the run.
I gather the feeder station idea is an early proto-type, which once fully refined will appear under "Chicken Run Extras" on the A4U website. Based on my experiences Tony has already made some modifications to the design and the one that ANH has will look a bit different (I'm sure ANH will post pictures shortly).

You won't be able to hang the Glug & Grub on the mesh of the aviary panels, the mesh spacing is too close. However a stiff wire between two panel posts, or a length of 3mm marine plywood screwed between two panel posts should allow you to hook the feeders on and I'm sure would work just as well as the feeder station I have. I've seen some other pictures on the forum where people have adopted this approach. If I can find them I'll edit this post and provide a link.

EDIT: Found the post, big pictures here

Andrew

It may not be the prettiest run Mostin but it looks like a fox fortress and it is gigantic!

ANH good news about your run arriving on time, although you are probably not listening and are out putting it up as I speak!

I have made a beautiful (and by that I mean functioning) door panel, it only took three hours! I have made seven plain panels and the door, just one more plain one and a mini door one to go :dance: (oh and the roof, and the kick boards and the mid rail, and the Eglu table......)

Some of the panels and door

S6004631-1.jpg

I must have a neat and tidy work area! hmmmmmm :roll:

S6004632-1.jpg

Hi its Vanessa OH - looks good what width of wood are you using for the run? Just finished a slab base for our girls 6x 12 ft aim to get built up this next week. How big will be your run?

ummmm I'm not very technical so bear with me!

I think the wood is 2in x 1in and its treated. All of the panels will be made with this

The panels are screwed using two screws at each corner, the screws are 2in I think.

I have laid a slab base and will put down some longer lengths of 2x1 on the ground and some uprights made of 2x2 posts, the sections will be screwed down to the battens and to the uprights at the corners, long lengths of wood will be added to join the panels with a midrail and kick boards wich should help hold it together

The run will be the same size as the slab base! (how is that for a vague girlie answer?!!) if the whole sections aren't big enough I will add half panels to squeeze a bit more space but at the moment its looking like it will be 2 sections x 3 (about 6ft x 9ft)

The roof will be wire and flat and a sloping cover of corrugated panels will be added (that way I am not relying on the plastic to secure the run

The wire is 19g weldmesh and the roof panels will be 22g chicken wire

Gosh Andrew that slideshow is BRILLIANT! I think you should sell that to Aviaries4U as an advert for their product! I am now absolutely :mrgreen: because I want one, it will happen but I need to clear a suitable space and lay slabs first.

It has convinced me that I need to get the run built for me, too (luckily I'm within delivery distance), I am reasonably handy but I don't think I could do all that on my own.

Come on ANH, I've got to go out for the day shortly - I will be logging on when I can get a chance, to see the photos!

Andrew, our screwdriver is a drill too and I think it's just too old and underpowered for the job. No worries though as I have an "Ooops, word censored!"nal of weapons courtesy of friend's OH :twisted: . He also advised that putting liquid soap on the screws can help as will drilling right through the pre-drilled holes (which only go half way in).

Olly, just for you, here's progress to date :) .

ES in action :D

3371636473_89b36eaae2.jpg

What we've managed so far :D

3372459048_6dd5e253ec.jpg

I can confirm we have gone through the door a few times :oops: .

Back at lunchtime after YS's last rugby match of the season in Dollar then it's back to the grindstone.

Andrew . . . here's progress to date :)
Hey that's a great start, well done. I see your door opens inwards, that's a good idea. We had a mass escape the other day when my 4-year-old went to collect eggs. As she opened the door (which opens outwards on our run) all the chooks rushed past her and into the veg patch :lol:.

Drilling the pre-drilled holes all the way through will certainly help, that's a good suggestion. The soap idea is also good, but be careful not to get it all over your hands and tools, otherwise it will make things harder rather than easier!

I look forward to a picture update later today. It's a shame you're so far away, I'd love to come and help. I really enjoyed doing my run and I'd love to do another one if the chance came up.

All the best

Andrew

Andrew - thanks very much for the info on the feeder thing. I shall have to have a think over what to have. I shall look forward to ANH's photos of her feeder (pretty please :pray: ) and then ask Tony how much it is.

Vicki - it looks great so far.

My ES, YS and hubby have all helped this morning on dismantling the greenhouse. Its all gone now. I think we're going to move the girls to the concrete base where the greenhouse was as we need to adjust the flooring where the girls were as it is a couple of inches lower and I'm sure Tony would appreciate a level floor of some description :D

Andrew - thanks very much for the info on the feeder thing. I shall have to have a think over what to have. I shall look forward to ANH's photos of her feeder.
If you look carefully at ANH's first photo, you'll see the feeder sat on the floor. Note it has an extra support bar through the middle, which should provide additional support for the Grub & Glug containers.

Andrew

Ta da :D . My brother popped round for a cup of tea and ended up building my run for me :whistle: (I helped by holding things and handing him screws!)

Decided to move the door to the middle so that the grub/glug holder can sit in the corner.

3372337147_62b57beb4a.jpg

Garage batons and roof need to be fitted tomorrow (with friend's OH's help) but the girls have moved in (I've used a roof panel to block the gap until I fix my Omlet netting).

3373158726_93ffd6771d.jpg

Think I'll put the eglu in so they can sleep there tonight.

3373156986_0fdcdd4162.jpg

Slight teething problems with the grub/glug holder but I'll get back to you on that.

It's 2.5m x 2m, Susan. The stable door will give them access to a good bit of the flowerbed for freeranging (probably double the run size). They're not getting onto my lawn :shameonu: . (I've just discovered where Riley has been weeing the grass has gone yellow :shock: . I must find out if there's something I can do about it :? .)

:dance: Wey hey, that looks absolutely fab, well done :dance:

I love the design, especially the stable door to let them into their own area of the garden, that's really good.

Glad it all went together without any problems. Looking forward to seeing the roof go on tomorrow. The chooks already seem to be loving it :clap:.

Andrew

(I've just discovered where Riley has been weeing the grass has gone yellow :shock: . I must find out if there's something I can do about it :? .)

I read on the forum somewhere that you can buy 'dog rocks' which you feed to your dog and it stops the wee turning the grass yellow, also if you water the area straight after they've done it, that also apparently works. Funny I always thought it was only girl dog's wee that did the yellow grass thing

:roll:

The run is looking really fabulous ANH :)

Tessa

A question for everybody.

We are still worried about the girls not having earth to scratch in (they will be based almost entirely in the run). Now half of the base is a concrete slab and the other have is paving slabs. So in theory we could lift quite a few of the slabs in the middle and leave it as earth. Trouble is the aubiouse is just going to mix in and will probably look a mess. Does anyone have this set up? How do you find it. Do you have to replace the soil in the run once you've cleaned out the aubiouse I imagine quite a bit of soil goes with it.

Am I worrying for nothing?

I suppose I could just lift the slabs and see how we get on? Hmmm..... what to do? :think:

Trouble is the aubiouse is just going to mix in and will probably look a mess. Does anyone have this set up? How do you find it. Do you have to replace the soil in the run once you've cleaned out the aubiouse I imagine quite a bit of soil goes with it.

I had Hemcore on soil in my eglu run and found it worked really well. It did get mixed up with the soil but just went kind of darker and looked fine. When we raked the soil/hemcore up we were obviously removing some soil each time but over a year and a half it didn't cause a problem - we just put more Hemcore down. I suppose some Hemcore got left behind in the soil so the level didn't really drop too much.

I've got turf leftovers in my WIR (can't believe I've got a WIR :shock::clap: ) but when they get eaten, I plan to go back to soil/Hemcore.

Hope that helps!

PS thanks for the dog rocks advice - I'll look into that :) .

Ta da :D . My brother popped round for a cup of tea and ended up building my run for me :whistle: (I helped by holding things and handing him screws!)

Decided to move the door to the middle so that the grub/glug holder can sit in the corner.

3372337147_62b57beb4a.jpg

Garage batons and roof need to be fitted tomorrow (with friend's OH's help) but the girls have moved in (I've used a roof panel to block the gap until I fix my Omlet netting).

3373158726_93ffd6771d.jpg

Think I'll put the eglu in so they can sleep there tonight.

3373156986_0fdcdd4162.jpg

Slight teething problems with the grub/glug holder but I'll get back to you on that.

Wow it's looking fabulous girl! I cannot wait to get mine up and running now the girls look lovely too x