seraphine

Getting chickens, are we doing to right thing?

Reading recent posts on here I'm beginning to wonder if we're doing the right thing getting hens :( I'm so concerned with getting it right, and being a good chicken-keeper but I'm worried about what can go wrong with them health-wise, the seemingly never-ending list of ailments they may have and the fact they may make a lot of noise (we're in the 'burbs with close neighbours both sides and also behind us).

We're all so looking forward to getting them, and have done so much work to our garden in preparation, but I'm worried about the commitment and potential problems. I'd initially thought that keeping chickens was going to be great fun, educational for the children and pretty low-maintenance but now I'm not so sure. I have to say it's the noise aspect bothering me most, we have great neighbours both sides and I'm really keen to keep our good relationship/s.

Did anyone else worry like this? I am known for being a worrier, it has to be said :roll:

Personally I think chickens are the easiest pets out there. I have had mine about 10months now and there has been no illness at all. I also live with neighbours to the sides and back and my chooks have been quiet as mice, accept for the occasional egg announcement and I have had no complaints yet.

I did worry about all the things you have said before I got them but, for me, it all turned out to be unfounded. The chickens have been great additions to the household and the children LOVE them.

Hi Seraphine,

I too have a very small garden with houses both sides and at the bottom. The eglu is sited right next to the neighbours fence. The noise is the thing that I am most aware off :( But you can do things to help like in these light mornings I cover the eglu and run completely (I have posted pictures before lol) the night before and I don't hear a peak til I uncover them at 8 a.m. :D Mine are free ranging around my small garden now and are getting a little too used to it so do make a little noise and patrol from one end of the run to the other :lol::lol: They obviously talk to you when they see you come into the garden. Mine can see me go into the garage and so start talking to get my attention the little minx :lol::lol: Sometimes I tip toe so they dont spot me :whistle: Occasionally we will get an egg anouncement from one of the girls but that doesnt go on too long. If they do start bokkkkkng for any reason (last night it was very windy and I think it spooked them) I have bought myself a water pistol and a quick squirt they all run in the eglu :lol:

But they are great fun, you will love having them and you get eggs as a bonus :D They are so funny to watch :lol::lol: You will wonder how you ever got on without them. :D

Jennyhenny

I've had all sorts of pets with the children and wish I'd known about chickens then. They are wonderful, easy to look after and so responsive. The down sides you hear about here can all be overcome - especially with the help of the forum. Come and visit one or more of us, bring the children and see it all first hand! But go for it.

Tricia

hi

dont worry you will love having them, i have had mine nearly 2 years now and touc wood no health problems

they are low maintainance but you cant help spending time outside them as they are so funny and entertaining to watch.

just try to relax and enjoy them, if you do have any concerns there is always someone here to answer questions however silly you might think they are.

sarah

Hello Seraphine, in common with everyone on the forum, we love our hens & have no regrets at all about having them. However re noise I would urge you to read other threads on this subject. Sadly one or two hen keepers have had to rehome their ladies due to noise & unreasonable neighbours & this must be heartbreaking. As with all my other posts on this subject I do apologise for being a bit negative but I feel these things do have to be pointed out and not simply glossed over. Notwithstanding this I am sure that these neighbours are the exception rather than the rule. Allisonx

Hi sereaphine

Dont worry! as everyone else has already mentioned, you have the forum for support. I have lost count of the 'silly' questions i have asked on here but have always had them answered. Unfortunately i have lost one of my chickens to a prolapse but i think that is quite rare and the fun and entertainment they bring more than compensates. I never let my girls out of the cube until 8am and sometimes a bit later on a weekend and so far not a peep out them. I think if you start letting them out early, they get used to it and so complain loudly if you are a bit late, so decide on a time that suits you and stick to it.

So, look forward to your chickens and i am sure after a couple of days you will understand why we are all so crazy for our lovely ladies! :lol::lol:

I think you've got a case of pre-chook jitters! I had them myself. We've had the girls just over 2 weeks now and they are fantastic (although I am a bit of a paranoid first time chook mum!)

You'll be fine, I promise. I had concerns about noise and the neighbours but my neighbours have been incredibly supportive, I've talked to them more in the past few weeks than I have in Months. They've also commented how quiet the girls are.

We love having our chickens I'm so glad we got them, and the children are getting a massive amount out of watching them, learning about them and caring for them. We're lucky with our chickens, they don't make any noise, I reckon some people are just unlucky with the noisy ones. Remember the forum seems like it's full of problems because that's where we turn when we have one - all the people out there with uneventful days full of chicken watching aren't checking in here like we all do when we have a problem! You'll love it, honest! We do all worry like that though, and that's where the forum comes in :D

Hi Seraphine

I was exactly as you are now, worrying about all sorts of things, mainly because I hadn't kept chickens before (I remember being like this before my first child was born!!) but I think it just goes to show how responsible you are by taking everything on board.

We've had our chooks for about 10 days now and I was really quite nervous (but very excited!) about it all but I have to say that the enjoyment is far outweighing the nerves. The kids (Josh 5, Ella 3 and Ben 1) are so into them - as soon as they're home from school and nursery at the end of the day the first thing they do is dash to the eglu to check out the nesting box. Am even taking one of the girls to school tomorrow morning as it's pets week!

I'm new to it all and that's why I'm spending lots of time on this forum as I'm interested in learning more about keeping chooks and it's so lovely to see everyone supporting each other here.

I think Patricia's advice is really good - if you could go and visit someone it would probably help.

Look forward to hearing about their arrival :D

I agree with everyone else, I'd ordered the eglu and chickens and then thought 'What on earth have I done?!' They are easy to look after and although I lost Pearl in January I would still have chickens. We're having a walk in run done this year and I'm getting 2 more girls. I live in a terraced house and have no complaints at all but I do have reasonably quiet girls but even at their noisiest they are no worse than a barking dog or children playing and it doesn't go on for very long anyway.

I felt just the same as you prior to collecting our three girls, I think it normal to feel a little anxious. I have had my girls for 18 months now and have to say they are the easiest pets that i have ever had and an absolute joy to have around. They require far less attention than most pets and I know i will never be without hens now that i have discovered them. The omlet forum is such an excelent place with so many experienced keepers that you never feel isolated, I have used the advice from members so many times and the site just adds to the fun of keeping chickens. you will be just fine.....enjoy :dance:

I remember feeling exactly as you do.

Go for it.....chickens are the best pets, and so rewarding, and they don't need to be walked at 10pm in the pouring rain!

There is plenty of help and support on the forum if you have any worries once they are here.

I'd order sooner rather than later, as breeders often sell out of stock as the year progresses.

It's perfectly natural to worry :) . I'm sure if you did a poll, you'd find more of us have never had a major health problem than have. It's just that the poorly chickens get posted about so it seems that the potential for illness is huge.

Same goes for noisy chickens. The great majority of chickens are very quiet, only bokking occasionally.

Once they arrive, you'll be absolutely fine :D . The forum is such a huge support, it can help you cope with anything (chicken or otherwise :lol: ).

But keep reminding myself that my children *probably* ( :roll: ) make more noise than the chickens will on more occasions.

My next door neighbour has 2 small girls. In the summer they screech, sing, wail, laugh, scream - making more noise than a whole farmload of chickens would :roll: .

(I'm quite glad in a way, as it means if my girls squark, they can't complain :wink: .)

(I'm quite glad in a way, as it means if my girls squark, they can't complain :wink: .)

We have a neighbour with son with delusions of being a drummer who gets his drum kit onto the patio and entertains us all with his collection of 5 beats all day long throughout the summer, and another who strims and mows his lawn either before 7am or after 10pm, and a third whose brat of a daughter screams and hollers all weekend and throughout the hols, so a few bok boks is no competition.

Hi all,

My 2 girls arrive tomorrow, and I havent slept for days, inbetween working i am spending all my time here and think I have learnt so much. ( we will see )

2 questions please, during the week I leave the house at 6.30, so will have to open up the Iglu around 5.45, but at weekend would like to lay in to 7.30 will they notice the time difference!!!!!

Also what is the difference between diatom which I have ordered and stalosan (spelling may not be right) do I need both? I think the Stalosan I put in the run and the Diatom in the nesting box !!! STRESS...

Very excited but worse than being pregnant!!!

Look forward to hearing from all you Eggsperts.

Margaret.

We have our eglu door open all the time so they put themselves to bed and get up when they want to. I know that people with noisy ones leave them shut in until a sociable hour but if you're not one of the unlucky ones they're fine suiting themselves andyou can lie in as long as you like! :D

Very excited for you for tomorrow - we'll expect photos!!

Hi all,

My 2 girls arrive tomorrow, and I havent slept for days, inbetween working i am spending all my time here and think I have learnt so much. ( we will see )

2 questions please, during the week I leave the house at 6.30, so will have to open up the Iglu around 5.45, but at weekend would like to lay in to 7.30 will they notice the time difference!!!!!

Also what is the difference between diatom which I have ordered and stalosan (spelling may not be right) do I need both? I think the Stalosan I put in the run and the Diatom in the nesting box !!! STRESS...

Very excited but worse than being pregnant!!!

Look forward to hearing from all you Eggsperts.

Margaret.

Form the omlet Shop re Diatom:

Diatomaceous Earth is a fine white powder made of the ground up fossilized remains of diatoms (a type of algae). It's 100% natural and it works because at a microscopic level the powder is very absorbant and effectively dehydrates parasites it comes into contact with causing them to shrivel up and expire. It can be used to control both internal and external parasites.

From the flytesofancy website re Stalosan:

Stalosan F Disinfectant powder is a very effective, and DEFRA recommended, dry disinfectant powder for use in the poultry house. Broad spectrum, destroys worm eggs, coccidial occysts, fly eggs and larvae. Anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral. Highly absorbant and will help to reduce the ammonia smell created by the chicken's droppings.

This time last year, with a (cube green) ordered and a date to adopt 6 ex-batts, I too had real concerns and jitters about it being a good thing to do - I'd never even touched a chicken before (except on a plate!). Now, I can honestly say it's one of my best decisions :dance: They are friendly, nosey, very funny and have brought a life to my garden that it never had when it was just pretty flowers :D .

I more-recently had the jitters about introducing 3 more to my now very spoiled 6, but they proved to be totally laid back about the whole thing and they were all able to free-range together after just a couple of weeks (under close supervision and with a water pistol handy :D ).

Try not to worry too much before they get there. We're all here to help and support each other on the forum and, as others have said, there are really very few issues that can't be solved between us :D

We've had ours nearly a year - they're great. They have been misbehaving and squawking/whingeing very loudly just lately, but after yesterday and a few timely squirts with water (and their treats were rationed) - they are back to good girls again. But yes, do have chickens - they are very rewarding and funny creatures. Prepare to lose track of time for several hours during the day because you are watching what they'll get up to next.

We have a neighbour with drums too and his children play instruments. It can be very noisy. Plus dogs, children, cars, house alarms, and the pigeons make more noise than the chickens. There were sheep in the fields over the back - you could hear them baaing, and they have been replaced by mooing cows. There is a family up the road that also have chickens, ducks and assorted other birdies - and a beautiful rooster. We are about 5 minutes walk away and we can't even hear his rooster unless we are walking by their house - they are closer than the farm animals.

What a lovely thread!

It's easy to forget that for every post on here saying "help" or asking what to do in certain situations, there are hundreds of other chicken keepers getting on with their day with no problems at all. We naturally come to the forums when we need help or support, so that's why you're seeing so many posts that are causing you to be worried. Remember that most of them are sorted out okay in the end, problems with noise, integration with other chickens or other pets are generally all worked out fine ultimately.

I don't think chickens are any more problematic than other pets, and the fact that you have some concerns probably means you'll be a very good chicken keeper, on the ball and looking after their welfare, which is fantastic!

The biggest tip I can give you is to handle them every day. It need only take a minute (and at first is best done once they've settled down for the night when they're so much more docile and compliant). Any problems can then be picked up right at the outset, which gives you the best chance of getting your chooks well again.

You will LOVE having them, and so will all your family, I'm sure of it!! :dance: