KateG

Over wintering Guinea pigs

My daughter would love some GP's (so would I!) but my only concern is what to do with them over the winter - are they ok outside or do they need to be inside?

What sorts of things do GP's do for fun? Are they happy enough in the eglu run all day/night?

what do I need to bear in mind for this to work?

My little piggies are kept out all year long. They are kept in the large chicken run, which is completely dry and sheltered, but separate from the chooks. They run around their run for as long as they want to. They are only shut in when it is really cold of a night time. I put plenty of bedding in their cages for them and cover them over with blankets.

Do the guinea pigs live in an eglu? Would they be ok in an eglu all winter with lots of bedding?

Thanks

Chrissie

:D My pair lived very happily in their Eglu throughout the winter last year. It is in a sheltered position by the house, and weather is milder than some parts of UK, I wouldn't leave them in an exposed location.

For 20 years I had guineas in wooden hutches but always overwintered them indoors. Damp is more dangerous than cold, and I felt mine were vulnerable in the hutch. Also, I didn't have an attached run and felt they could get more exercise in their indoor accommodation.

They live the life of luxury all year round in the Eglu, I think it's really well designed. :D

mine are in the summer house with the bunnies, we can fit all their 6ft hutches in there and the piggies in savic nero 4's. we have thick curtains at the windows and i have a radiator in there which is either on no 1 or 2 .i put them away at 3-4 pm in the winter and lock the door.....they love it they have daylight bulbs so that it light in there till 7pm. it takes the worry out tings for me. we are about to add an extention onto the summer house so that on wet days they acan play in there with tunnels and a digging box .

If the guineas stay out all winter, what do people use as a base? I would cover the run with clear tarp to keep it dry and draught-free but am not sure whether to put the run on the grass (soggy and damp) or patio ( but hard on little feet and cold?).

:?

Well, I wondered about this last year. I have the guinlu on a patio by the kitchen door, and although it's dry, I was thinking it would feel cold underfoot.

The guineas worked out what to do! They kicked out some straw and made a doormat! I continued topping up the straw throughout the winter. I was even wondering about a carpet offcut this year. :oops:

I agree about the lawn, I discounted it as being damp, which is worse than cold for guineas.

Do let us know what you decide, and how it goes. :D

Ours has a double height hutch with ladder and a run bigger than the eglu run and is out moved around the grass every winter - she is now 6 years old, so certainly has coped over a number of winters outside. We had started thinking about moving her to a sheltered winter spot off the grass, but she just loves the freedom and grass so much I couldn't take it away from her.

Tracy

My guineas are in my greenhouse at the moment. We have a double height run with a ramp up to the top level. I bought a replacement tray for a large dog crate for the cage to sit on, it took some time to locate one big enough to keep their little tootsies dry and they have a heat pad for their bedroom area.

Hiya

I've had guinea pigs on and off for 12 years now. Years ago when they lived in wooden hutches I used to bring the hutches inside the garage and gave them plenty of straw for warmth and they were ok.

Now my 6 live in a converted shed with a wire run attatched (shared with my Pekins and are fine) the shed is in 2 compatments as I have 5 girls and 1 boy, I don't breed them as I always get them from my local rescue centre to help them out. I give them plenty of straw and to be honest even through this bad snow the water has never frozen.

If they are in an outdoor wooden hutch I would reccommend covering it with carpet and plastic to keep out the rain.

Hope they stay nice n toasty.

Dyan (brown guinea)(white guinea)(guinea)(white guinea)

Now have 12 Ex-Batts GNR to add to my list :D