LJ's Chooks

Chicken of fate?? (Sad news today)

I'm not sure what's happened, our little mally was making such great progress, but sad news I'm afraid.

Yesterday she seemed subdued, but did go out in her run, and she's been laying every other day. But today, no sign of her, and so we went to investigate. She's just sat hunched in the nest box. I've picked her up and given her a drink out of my hand, but she's not interested in food. Her crop is totally empty. Her vent is clean, and not visibly egg bound. She has been worked and I've put more flubenvet in her food today but she's not had any.

I am gutted, I was starting to think about introductions, but instead she now seems immobile and is not moving her legs. Considering two weeks ago she escaped and we ran Round the garden with her, this is a real shock.

I have to confess, I have given her a cuddle and said goodbye. I don't feel good about that but I have to be realistic. This little chook has so got to me emotionally!

Sorry it's not a happy update today, fingers crossed everyone please, or wish he well for the big chicken coop in the sky :pray:

OMG the poor thing. She's obviously not right but just to double check - any swollen abdomen? rattly breathing? eye/nose discharge? what about any physical breaks/swollen joints/tender areas on wings/legs/feet? Assuming none of the above then I'm a bit stumped and would have to guess internal problem as I know you've treated for lice/mites. It doesn't seem fair does it, both of you have tried so hard :( .

I know it's a long shot but, when my Big Pingu was immobile lst year and looked at deaths door, I gave her butter off my fingers, she had not eaten or drunk anything all day and a I was desperate, she nearly took my hand off so I just gave her what she needed until she stopped. Worth a try. Good luck both of you. {{{Hugs}}}

Oh poor Mally, poor you :shock: I hope she's perkier in the morning. It could be a softie on the way? But maybe a course of Baytril will help. When I had a chook go that way, she would only eat mealworms (like I eat crisps!).

Fingers crossed here for better news in the morning... :pray: Please will you let us know how she is? :pray:

Mealworms and butter, mealworms and butter, mealworms and butter...

Appetite chant and my fingers crossed for the next 36hours... I know how shocking vets bills can be (one cat diagnosed with renal failure just before Xmas and a second diagnosed a couple of weeks ago - various tests, "sleepovers", and special food doesn't leave much of last month's pay :shock: )

LJ, I have a new bottle of Nutri-drops. We are coming over to B&Q in Waterlooville sometime tomorrow so could meet you to drop off the meds if that works for you.....I'll pop them in my pocket & pm my mobile number again.

Have you brought her inside.... maybe a little extra warmth might help :think:

Huge {{{hugs}}} for you all :pray: .....miracles do happen we are hoping for one for Mally :anxious:

Sha x

LJ, I have a new bottle of Nutri-drops. We are coming over to B&Q in Waterlooville sometime tomorrow so could meet you to drop off the meds if that works for you.....I'll pop them in my pocket & pm my mobile number again.

Have you brought her inside.... maybe a little extra warmth might help

Huge {{{hugs}}} for you all .....miracles do happen we are hoping for one for Mally

Sha x

Thanks Sha, I've pm'd you. You really are so kind!

:oops: Thank you :anxious:

I'd go with butter as less nasties in it...or cake crumbs.........or scrambled egg.....or ready brek.........or any form of mealworm, woodlouse or worm...or anything she'll accept really, anything is better than nothing :anxious:

I was advised to syringe a mix of cakecrumbs, honey & egg yolk as a high energy supplement, make it really sloppy to get it through the syringe though :wink:

Hope to hear from you in the morning :pray:

Sha x