LJ's Chooks

Chicken of fate?? (Sad news today)

Saw on another thread Mallion was a bit better. Is she still improving?

She seems a little better and a little braver today, but she really is afraid of people. My 3 yr old gets so excited when she pops her head out and want to give her lots of treats as we've been in the garden all day... She certainly is not ready to deal with him yet!!

I'll try and post some photos in the morning if I can remember how to use photobucket!!! :oops:

She seems a little better and a little braver today, but she really is afraid of people. My 3 yr old gets so excited when she pops her head out and want to give her lots of treats as we've been in the garden all day... She certainly is not ready to deal with him yet!!

I'll try and post some photos in the morning if I can remember how to use photobucket!!! :oops:

Great news :)

I'm often amazed how small children seem to get on with chickens from the getgo. We have a 7y/o visit us who picks up ones we couldn't even catch :roll:

Lookin fwd to the pix :wink:

Me too, I was hoping to see a photo. :D

sorry everyone, I'm neglecting my duties, photo's are on my camera, but inset days, children and flu have wiped me out!

Mally seems to be improving and eating more, but she is staying true to her breed and is a forager rather than eating from the pellet pot she has. As soon as I sprinkle them in her run she'll eat them though!

I'm not convinced the Vaseline is going to totally help so I got some frontline yesterday to treat her with today, I'll use the rest of the pipet on the rest of the girls, just to keep them mite free.

I'll post photos tomorrow... I've taken some of her legs too, poor thing.

Sounds like you've been having a bit of a time of it, even without poor Mallion.

I've just been reading in my Practical Poultry book that you can get a product called Duramitex, which you paint all over both legs. Once this has dried, then you can apply vaseline which needs to be over the whole leg and foot. Alternatively, Johnson's now do a scaly leg mite treatment which is available from pet shops. It only comes in a smallish bottle, but as you're only treating one bird, it should be OK.

reapplication is needed every 4-5 days until you see new scales growing.

FInal option is treatment by a liquid which goes in the blood stream, but this has to be done by the vet.

Thanks witchazel! I'm giving frontline and Vaseline a try today, I've read some articles that talk about miraculous for scaly leg mite, and it will kill any other crawlies on her!

However it was just a matter of time before worming became the issue. Just as we'd finished today's treatment, she went into the run and did a large poo. So I thought I'd have a qick look....yuk yuk yuk!!!! Her poo was moving!!!! :shock: It was covered in White little seeds and on closer inspection (but not too close!!!) they were moving and were short worms!!!!

We have been putting apple cider vinegar in her water, so I'm not sure if thatis having enough of an effect on her gut that they are being expelled or I suspect she is just heavily infested. Needless to say she now has flubevent in her pellets along with cod liver oil, and I think I'll dose a grape for her too later cos I'm not convinced she's eating enough pellets yet!!!

Poor little mallion!! The thing I can't help wondering is if the people that dumped her have more chickens what state are they in???? Mallion is getting treated, but stll not convinced she'll make it long term, but what about the others... Surely they wouldn't just have had her? :evil:

Poor old Mallion, but well done you for giving her all this time and effort and treatment :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: .

Hope the worming works, she must be feeling pretty rough being so infested :( , I'm sure she'll feel loads better soon.

When one of my girls got got scaley leg mite i used this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xeno-200-Spray-Ivermectin-50ml/dp/B001A3273O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1267981730&sr=8-2

It's the systemic spray but you don't need a presciption for it, and it kills any other creepy crawlies that may be lurking too :anxious: .

Good luck :dance:

Its only taken me a week and a bit, but here are some photo's to introduce Mallion, sorry the ones of her feet are a little blured but she's shaking so much in the photo as she is so scared of people!

IMG_1681.jpg

IMG_1682.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg

My poor neighbour had to help me out and these were taken during an early treatment, so she was very sheepish and did not like being held, hence the wierd way she is being held, but she does seem to be improving, and now we are tackling the worm situation too.... i have never sen an infestation like it .... it is grim!!!

Fingers crossed that the combination of flubenvet, vaseline, frontline and johnsons mite spray over the last week, we should start to see some improvement... poor girl!!!

She has lots of new feathers and has quite clearly had a very recent and major moult, her neck feather markings are beautiful though! Her feet are just going to take time, I've never seen such a severe case, so I'm not sure what improvement looks like!!! How do I know when the mites are gone or do I just have to assume the treatments have killed them?? She has already lost quite a few scales... But I'm not sure what to look for next??? Can anyone advise me here please. She struggles to walk... She kind of totters, but has started scratching with her feet, so I figure that's good news!

I've guessed that she's a welsummer...what do you guys think?

Thanks for all your continued support and advice :clap: