Millie-Annie

What do you do with sadly deceased chickens?

Blossom we managed to dig a hole for but it was hard work and it wasn't summer. Annie it was collection day so I wrapped her in something nice and she went in the bin, but I still feel awful about that.

I can't bear the thought of doing that to Millie chicken, but what can I do?

The ground is absolutely solid (heave clay soil) and she was a big girl. I have rung the out of hours vets, who want £30 to cremate her. Vets Now make my blood boil.

So what to do?????

I cremated my last one that died in my own incinerator ( I had already built up a pile of logs for burning) but even then I felt guilty cremating rather than burying. The only reason I didn't bury her was because I had just recently buried my rabbit and she kept getting dug up again until I covered grave with paving slab on top of weld mesh, and I didn't want that to happen to chicken as well.

It is never easy - which ever choice you make.

One of mine was PTS yesterday so the vet sent her to the crematorium with the cats and dogs. She did offer to return her body to me for burial but I do not really want a chicken cemetary in the garden, so left her with the vet. It cost £32 in total (consultation, injection and cremation). If one died at home I would double bag the carcass and leave in the bin. Much as I love my chooks I will never get as attached to them as cats and dogs I do not think, but appreciate others do and may not like putting their bodies in the refuse.

I still have my dogs and cats ashes from last year and the year before and will bury them in the garden once I find a nice spot and will plant a fruit tree there in their memory.

I paid £12 I think at the vets, so worth shopping around - however I have to say the last couple have gone, carefully bagged up, in the wheelie bin. I'm firmly of the view that once the spirit has gone, what is left behind is unimportant, and so I take a practical view on this.

I would try and harden myself if it wasn't for the fact it is hot and our bin collection isn't until Wednesday. The thought of her lying in there upsets me more.

I will ring my vet tomorrow and see what they say. Vets Now are just in it for the money so no way was I paying them £27.

Thanks for your suggestions

We buried Penny in a 2ft deep hole. She was wrapped in newspaper then put in a paper gift bag (not non-bio-degradable plastic) then we put a slab and a strawberry planter on top of her. I think you just need to do what's right for you - you're right to go to your normal vets and ask.

We took Peggy to a nearby wild wood that we can see from the garden, where we know there are foxes, and laid her down amongst some bluebells and foxgloves. We would rather that other creatures benefit from her and she returns to the woods - and we will remember her when we hear the birds sing there. :(

Hi my vets charge you £47 to pts and cremate and £30 to just cremate i have phoned a few vets and they all gave me the same price of £30 for cremation which i think is a rip off so depending on when they die as my bin only gets collected every 2 weeks and in the hot weather that is no good i have burnt one of my birds making sure it was so hot their was nothing but ash left i no you are not really allowed to do this but i know a few people who have but when the weather is not hot they will get double bagged and go in the bin.

If its cool weather or the bin is due to be collected soon then they get double begged and put in the bin

If collection day i some time away or its hot I double bag them and take them to the local tip

Its not a glamorous end to a life sadly

Perhaps its just me but I would never consider throwing my chickens out with the rubbish. Would you do this with a dog or a cat? My chickens are part of my gang (I know many people will laugh but they are a part of the family now) I bought them and I cared for them and in return they give me hours of pleasure and lovely eggs. Why would I then disrespect them at the end of their lives. Most of us do not keep chickens for profit, in fact it costs us a great deal to keep our chickens. Why grumble at this final cost. All animals deserve dignity in life and in death.

.....Why would I then disrespect them at the end of their lives.

I don't see it as disrespectful, I see it as pragmatic and sensible and hygienic. I have buried a couple of hens, and even with rocks on the grave, they have reappeared in the middle of the lawn in the morning, because of the foxes, so disposal in the bin is the only option for me, as I am not prepared to burn them. The accrid smell form burning feathers is vile, I have neighbours to consider, and in the UK we are not supposed to do it.

Dont mean to butt in but when i burnt my chicken there was no smell at all i know your not suppose to do it but it was an emergency as it was so hot and my bin was not due to go out for 2 weeks and i have no more room to bury in my garden my vets were closed for the weekend and we are not allowed to take dead birds to are dump i did think about leaving her for the foxes to eat but one i thought that was mean and two i dont want to attract him to my other birds leanne.