sari

Help! " lost" chicken :( Sad update- found by fox :(

I've mislaid a chook....we're quite worried to the point of panicking. We finished our WIR today, so about 6pm we started to herd the girls down the garden, toward it. The irony about the following is, whilst we've been building it, they've been clucking at the gate, anxious to see what we were up to....every time we opened the gate they shot through. They had been fine, easily herded away from the dodgy bit of brook at the bottom. So we started to herd them down, as it clouded over, and I think they were anxious to get in the run/eglu.....moving the eglu, and leaving the run, really foxed them and we couldn't herd them....they all ran around flapping etc.....didn't help that next door was having a party..in hindsight, perhaps I shouldn't have moved it all today, but time is scarce...and I would have had to dsimantle th eglu and take the greenhouse door off.......so: I caught 2 girls and popped them in the WIR,

Florence and Selma jumped over the screen fence into the danger zone.....Florence found the only gap in the fence in 150 feet of fencing, so whilst I was trying to get her back off the neighbours ( who thought it was great fun :( ) Selma disappeared. My OH saw her out of the corner of his eye up near the house, but couldn't swear to it. We have searched the gardens, in the light and dark....no avail; I've told the girls she's probably found somewhere quiet to roost, because it's dark. My worries are that she fallen in the brook...therefore drowning? That she'll get foxed, or she's stuck somewhere and I can't find her. ANy advice please, for a very worried and guilty feeling chook mummy x x x sarah x x

Edited by Guest

That is terrible especially as you are doing everything to can to keep the girls safe.

Try not to worry - you can't do anything about it now it is dark. My OH always tells me worry is a wasted emotion but I know it is difficult not to do it. You must be at your wits end.

Get up early tomorrow and have a good look for Selma. She may be roosting as you have said. I will keep my fingers crossed for you tonight and hope you get some sleep. {{hugs}}

Hopefully she is roosting somewhere and will be safe :D

She shouldn't have gone in the brook - get up early tomorrow and see if you can see her, check by the other girls and where the eglu used to be.

Hope you find her safe in the morning! :D

Thanks...I keep making little forays into the garden and checking her favourite places. I think she may be in a huge pile of brush/branches...she jsut was there one minute and gone the next....we made a lovely walk in run as well, and its sort of taken the shine off.....hope I find her...

Have just come in after a long search, sadly I've found Selma, on the bank of the Brook, minus head. Obviously been got by a fox. Hopefully was quick.....I looked down there last night but the tinker must have been hiding. I'm trying to be pragmatic,,,,at least we know. It makes my mind up about no FR when I.m not there, and going to make sure that the WIR is doubly fox proofed...not sure what else to do....so a very sad Sari household today :cry:

Thanks for all the advice and support x x x x

Thanks...we are very sad, my girls are 9 and 12, but fairly mature...they have both said, things along the lines of, " at least the others are ok, " and " we have to remember that people are dying of dirty water in Pakistan" so we will be sad but proportionate, I suppose you would say.

Thanks for the commiserations x

Oh, how terribly sad for your family. It's so easy to beat ourselves up when things go sadly wrong, especially when we are trying our very best to make our girls more comfy. They always seem to do the opposite to what we want them to do when there's a bit of a panic on. Huge hugs to you and your family and don't feel guilty, you are a good chicken Mummy. :(