Lorax

One of our chickens is missing. *Update - she's been found!

I can't believe how upset I am. At bedtime we noticed our golden ranger hadn't come home. We have searched the entire garden. The only thing we can think is she sometimes goes out of the gate when someone comes in. Any advice on what to do? Will she have gone far do you think?

Am stupidly upset!

Edited by Guest

Awww, no, i would be upset too - do you normally rattle anything to get their attention - will she come running to a certain noise?

Hope she comes home soon - will keep everything crossed xxx

Oh no, I'm not surprised you are upset, I would be devastated. I've never had this happen with one of mine but I've read threads on here where a chicken has stayed out all night and turned up the next morning completely fine. Do your neighbours know you have chickens - might be worth knocking on a few doors to see if anyone has seen her. She might be safe in a neighbours garden and they just don't know where to return her to Fingers crossed for a good outcome.

Hello. I've been looking around the garden and up and down the road, but it's sooo dark. No sign of her. (I've looked up trees and bushes as have seen them do that once when their run door shut by accident and they couldn't put themselves to bed). I've left word with neighbours and also the ranger. Fingers crossed she will turn up. She is the bravest/nuttiest of our chickens. Luckily none of them have clipped wings so she can fly up if she needs to.

Thanks everyone. Our RL friends just don't get it and keep saying things like "sorry, I ate her...burp". Wonder how they'd feel if I said that about their pets??

No sign of her this morning. I'm limited to how far I can go look for her as am on my own with a baby and young child. The problem is it'll be so hard for her to get back in - if not impossible. We have high hedges, the entire garden is fenced and we have electric gates. What keeps them safe also stops them getting back in. I've left the gates open a bit this morning and kept the others in their run, to give her a chance to come hom.

I had hoped to see her on the verge this morning waiting to come in (I kept dreaming I found her...).

Oh dear. I fear she is gone. I am just so upset by it...madness.

I found her!!!! I went out early this morning - nothing. I looked for her on the school run - nothing. Then coming home I was about to turn into our gate and I noticed her trying to get in under the fence (impossible it's rabbit proofed). I ran over and picked her up and took her home!!

We worked out she must have got out when the postman called - nearly 24hrs ago. Thank goodness it wasn't a really cold night. She went straight to the nesting box and laid an egg. What a girl.

I rang my husband who is at work and he almost cried! What a bunch of saps we are.

Thank you so much. I wonder where she spent the night?