How windy was it yesterday.........1st time ever my run was blown off it's base and came away from the coop, got home from work to find my 2 having a ball in the garden doing a bit of cheeky unsupervised FR. Unfortunately for them the hatches are well and truly battened down now lol.

Wind died now, just got the rain instead.

Not pegged it down yet but got a wooden garden seat at one end, long piece of wood forced up to shed at other end and a few large plants pots etc strategically placed lol.

Dont see many foxes round here thankfully but i know they are there, plenty of cats around us so may help warn him off.

I'm totally with Percy094 on this - for the past 2 mornings I've either had to retrieve the eglu and run from where it had been blown too :shock: or, even more worryingly, yesterday one side of the run just blew in whilst I was out, halving the width of the tunnel and miraculously not squashing or trapping anybody. I've put bricks and tent pegs round the skirt now. I've never had anything like this before, but then we haven't had wind like this during previous 6 years either :roll:

Still mega windy here to I dreamt last night that the roof had blown off my WIR what a relief to find it all intact this morning and thankfully my eglu is still in place we do have 6ft fences which I guess acts as a wind break however we do live on top of a hill which dosen't help still we wont ever have to worry about flooding :lol:

It's been quite amusing watching our birds with the wind up them. The big girls have been trying to keep their balance whilst 2 of the pekins were bowled over - and one of them went rolling down the path. Never seen anything so funny, poor little birdies! :lol: But it seems to pick up overnight and for the past couple of nights I've wondered if the bungee ropes could keep the plastic roof on the cube run. Always a relief to see it intact, although I think they are in the more sheltered part of the garden down at the bottom. Hopefully the oak tree and the hawthorns won't lose any branches either. :anxious:

When we had a couple of windy days a few weeks ago the roof actually did blow off my coop :shock: Thankfully it was in the daytime so I soon spotted it, but poor Dorothy had been in there trying to lay her egg, poor girl. Unsurprisingly she kept her legs crossed until the roof was back on! :lol:

I now have it secured with multiple bungee ropes, pulled very tight, but still can't help peeking out of the window every time there's a gust of wind, even in the middle of the night. So far, so good though... but still can't wait until this wind drops. On the plus side, it's dried the ground out beautifully, and the chooks have spent the last few days digging to Australia :lol:

I've been waiting for my whole set up to fly away these past few days. We are waiting for some better weather so we can, finally, build a 'proper' WIR. And with a new conversatory roof also in the offing, I have plans for the old panels to make the WIR roof. Rather than the corregated sheet and tarpauling I currently have.

Tarpauling that, despite being really well battened down, is threatening to take off in this wind. And flipping dumped tons of water ON ME when caught by a big gust of wind when I ventured out to top up food/water today - not once, not twice, but THREE times. :cry:

I look like a drowned rat. :notalk:

Yes, the wind is not good. Very windy again today. So far it's managed to blow over my very heavy cement mixer and totally trashed my neighbours greenhouse.

I've now revised my thoughts on my planned WIR. It will have more roof supports and fixings to stabilise the planned corrugated roof.

Ian

The wind blew down one of our fence panels saturday eve, of course, it had to be the one fence panel that provided a boundry to the chicken run! Luckily our run can be segregated into two, so they are now all locked in the left hand side of the run, away from the fence. The only thing is that part of the run is about a third of the size of the whole run, its about 2.5-3 metres squared....we've 7 girls!! They are already getting a bit techy with each other....and we are mid doing our kitchen (it is complety gutted at the mo so no going back!) working full time and very time and cash poor! ekkk, it could be 3-4 weeks before we can replace the fence panel!

pants!

Rachel

Tell me about it ! We've had high winds for two days now , and though my WIR is 3 years old and has coped well with winds before, it still doesn't stop me lying awake all night imagining it's roof going flying :(

i am the same i keep getting my oh to check and check again, and i can't stop looking out the window checking i am such a worry guts.

glad that your chucks was ok and just having a good time roaming :lol::lol:. But they were lucky

It's been quite amusing watching our birds with the wind up them. The big girls have been trying to keep their balance whilst 2 of the pekins were bowled over - and one of them went rolling down the path. Never seen anything so funny, poor little birdies! :lol: But it seems to pick up overnight and for the past couple of nights I've wondered if the bungee ropes could keep the plastic roof on the cube run. Always a relief to see it intact, although I think they are in the more sheltered part of the garden down at the bottom. Hopefully the oak tree and the hawthorns won't lose any branches either. :anxious:

my chooks don't seem bothered by the wind if they get cold they go and shelter under the coop but now give them the snow and they are scared witless they would'net come to fr at all when it snowed as soon as it had gone they legged it out!! :lol::lol::lol: