yup mine are laying sporadically and loosing a feather or two. Have a missing chicken too, she hasn't been laying since I found her with a clutch a month ago...wonder if she is broody again and hiding somewhere..have searched but nothing found yet

I'm quite heartened to read this. I bought in some new stock and also a new breed to me about 6 weeks ago and was drowning in eggs. Then I went away and came back to virtually no eggs. I've wormed and no improvement, but have recently realised that one bird has had a neck moult, carefully keeping the outer feathers to fool me, another laid through the winter so is probably having an early break, one is broody, one has just been separated from her offspring and another one is sporting a lot of new growth after cockeral attention and a tail moult if such a thing is possible :shock: Even my trusty polands aren't laying very well; I think old age is catching up with 2 of them. With my old stock I knew where I was - September shutdown :D

Glad to hear this.

One silly chuck has been seperated for pecking (he ring just did not work, so seperation is plan B :doh: ) and has now filled her new run wih white feathers. Wondered if she was plucking herself as she had no friend to pluck, but if others are mouling, I suspect so is she as there are no eggs either.

Still waiting for the Mite spray to arrive in the post as well to rule that out - although I can't see anything!

Hard work these chooks at the moment!

It's pretty much business as usual here when the hens are moulting. If it's a particularly cold day then I might make up some hot mash for them to warm their tums a bit, and feed a couple of extra handfuls of corn.

It can be helpful to add a tonic to the water, just to help them along the way with their refeathering and some people feed extra mealworms or rinsed tuna for extra protein but I tend only to do this if there's leftovers from tea (tuna, not mealworms :lol: ).

The hens will stop laying when they are moulting.

I noticed on my RIR last week the back of her neck looked bald, then looking at her she had lots of new feathers coming through - i was a bit worried as none have moulted yet so I didn't really know what had happened but thankfully lots of new feathers coming through and I have read that the first is usually the head/neck!