Cinnamon

Book recommendations

Just resurrecting this thread to recommend The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani. It is beautifully written and transports you to another time and another place. One of the best stories that I have read in a very long time.

I rad her Big Stone Gap series several years ago and thoroughly enjoyed them, but this is in a different league.

Thought I would flag 'Half Bad' by Sally Green as a great book for anyone who enjoys a bit a fantasy & adventure (of the witchy kind, not the kinky kind!).

It is a YAF book, so also highly recommended for older teens. I LOVED it :D

Only £2.99 on Kindle at the moment too.

This book is awesome, very inspirational. I have a review copy, but it's out here on the 8th (#2 on New York Times best sellers).

Amazing story of a trip to success for a child who was bullied for having microtia. And all without drugs too. Wonder if the bullies are still laughing now?...

Here's my review: http://www.kissinuk.com/cms/news-topmenu-19/713-paul-stanley-face-the-music-review.html

imagejpg1.jpg

I read A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving with my book club and found it really amazing. It is quite long and I know some of my fellow bookclubbers didn't finish it but it was really worth it. I also found it was quite easy to pick up after leaving it for a few days. Some books I now find I am having to go back over a few pages to refresh my mind before I get into them again...must be old age :roll::roll:

I'm reviving this thread because I've just read a cracking book - Faces of Angels by Lucrezia Grindle. I read it on Kindle but I see it's available in paperback too.

I'm not sure why I bought it because it's a thriller and I don't usually like them, but I couldn't put it down. It's set in Florence and full of descriptions of the city and it had me guessing right till a few pages before the end. Highly recommended.

For any of you who loved The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon (I really enjoyed it tho its not your 'typical' novel!) her second book is due out in either August or September (there appears to be some confusion!). There will, apparently, be 7 in the series. I am considering e mailing her and offering to do her housework so that she can write FASTER!

Also due out imminently (I have it on advanced order and keep pestering the postie :roll: ) is the final book in the Deborah Harkness trilogy - well recomended!!

OH and I have just discovered Scott Mariani and his 13 books featuring ex military Major Ben Hope. Can liken them to Chris Kuzneski but, IMHO, MUCH better written and faster paced.

Also due out imminently (I have it on advanced order and keep pestering the postie :roll: ) is the final book in the Deborah Harkness trilogy - well recomended!!

I loved 'A Discovery of Witches' but struggled with the second one :?

I have really enjoyed reading 'Half Bad' this summer, as well as the brilliant 'Divergent'......both classed as Young adult Fiction, but I think pretty much for anyone who likes a bit of fantasy 8)

Am reading 'The Cuckoo's Calling' by Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling) at the mo - fabulous book!

Have just downloaded 'The Bone Season' - only 51p, so its worth a punt at that price.

Also I have just seen this book on Amazon - looks great, & cheap at the moment too!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Fifteen-Lives-Harry-August-ebook/dp/B00DI7HLDG/ref=pd_cp_kinc_3

Edited by Guest

A question for Kindle users - can you buy Kindle books as gifts for people who have Kindle accounts?

There are a few I would like to buy for my daughter...now she has finished her degree she can actually read books she wants to read again! (English Lit student).

A question for Kindle users - can you buy Kindle books as gifts for people who have Kindle accounts?

There are a few I would like to buy for my daughter...now she has finished her degree she can actually read books she wants to read again! (English Lit student).

Cinnamon, as far as I know you can't do this as I seem to remember looking into this for my Dad. In the end I gave up and bought him an Amazon voucher instead.

I have just bought for Kindle the new Robert Galbraith/ JK Rowling books. They have been highly recomended by my aunt and cousin. They were £1.99 each which was brilliant. Looking forward to reading them, after I have read my recent charity shop purchases of I capture the Castle by Dodie Smith and Leaving The East End by Jennifer Worth.

They are very good indeed - you will enjoy them 8)

I am reading the 4th book in the 'Chickens, Mules & Two Old Fools' series by Victoria Twead.

They are super - nice & gentle, plenty of great characters & lots of chickens too! She is a really nice lady also, & I enoy listening to her adventures in her tiny Spanish village :D

Just searched for this thread to recommend This Boy by Alan Johnson. It is a beautifully written account of his early life growing up in the slums of late 50's early 60's Notting Hill. My son suggested that I read it because he knows that I love social history books. The Jennifer Worth books were written in a similar style. Accounts like this make me feel so fortunate to be living in 21st century Britain. I know that poverty is still a big problem, but it is nothing like as common place as it was 50 years ago.