Cinnamon

Book recommendations

I have just finished reading The House at Riverton by Kate Morton and loved it. It was so well written, it was a joy to read beautiful prose alongside a moving story. I found it particularly interesting having just watched the BBC series about servants and having grown up on the estate of a minor stately home where my dad was head gardener, which gave me an insight into service in the modern age.

Can I add Stephen King's 11.22.63. It is not a horror book but a time travel story - the premise is that the main character discovers he can time travel and goes back to try to stop Lee Harvey Oswald assassinating JFK. (not giving the plot away here as this bit is on the cover blurb)

It's a vey long book but absolutely brilliant. Lots of 1960's US history in there and a very clever story. There is so much more to it than just the JFK angle.

Glad someone has mentioned Night Circus - I have been looking at it for ages and dithering about buying it. I shall definitely go for it when I have finished State of Wonder by Ann Patchett, which I would really recommend.

The best book I have read recently is Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan - his best for a while in my opinion.

Me Before You - Jojo Moyes. Superb book.

So agree. I discovered this author through my book club and read it in 2 days :oops: It is a long time since a book made me read so fast. We are now reading her book Ship of Brides which I hope will be as good.

I've just finished this one, really enjoyed it & had me sobbing a few times. Will look for Ship of Brides.

Not sure if this one's been mentioned already, but I really enjoyed 'The Secret Life of Bees' by Sue Monk Kidd.

If you enjoyed 'The Help' you'll enjoy this one. It takes place in the deep south at around the same time. It's a bit more magical, though, and the film was very enjoyable. :D

I LOVED 'The Secret Life of Bees' too - wonderful stuff. They were making a movie of it,but I haven't heard if it came to fruition or not.

I also loved Jojo Moyes books, 'Me before You' & 'Ship of Brides', both of which are fab.

She is one author os a handful that I actively seek out on Amazon now,desperate for her now stuff!

C.J.Sansom, A.M Homes, Lisa Jewell, Gyles Branreth, Bill Bryson, Matt Rudd, Mike Gayle, Carole Matthews & Paige Toon are some of the others 8):D8)

BTW, How do I make a link the does not list the web address but rather what it is? I would rather have put "Secret Life of Bees' than the url :?:?

You put in the following

[url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416212/]Secret life of bees[/url]

Where there was a square bracket after http://at the beginning you delete it and replace with an equals sign. Then you put a close square bracket at the end before the ones that close in the last. I have shown the changes in red so hopefully you can see it. It took me a while to get it, but now I can do it without thinking :D