Cinnamon

Book recommendations

I watched My Sister's Keeper on DVD with YD last Friday night. I know that it was based on a book by Jodi Picoult. I found the story very real and moving, are her books like this? If anyone has read them could they tell me if they would be suitable for a fairly worldly 13 year old to read, she is looking for more adult fiction to read but it is hard to know what is suitable although she is not easily shaken by scarey stuff and having two older siblings there isn't much that she hasn't heard about :roll: The books do need to capture her interest though because she is very easily distracted and bounces from one thing to another. (very like me :oops: )

I think they'd be ideal for a 13 year-old who's a sophisticated reader, there's nothing unsavoury in them, and they usually present both sides of an argument - the parents who want to do anything to save their sick child, and the sibling who's being used for 'spare parts', for example, as in My Sister's Keeper. They are a bit 'samey' after a while, I agree, even though the topic under debate is different in each one.

I caught a bit of the Radio 4 Book at Bedtime last week, and then saw it in Smith's 'buy one, get one half-price' - My Dear, I Wanted to Tell You by Louisa Young. I broke my 'buy nothing new', usually my books are from charity shops but I really wanted this one. Absolutely brilliant, and I haven't even finished it yet!

Thanks I will look out for some for her then. We both cried buckets whilst watching the film and my OH couldn't watch it all he had to leave and go and listen to some music instead, he is a lovely sensitive soul :D YD and I put the world to rights and had one of those really good open honest chats after the film, I had been reluctant to watch it having lost my brother in an accident when I was 8 and we dicussed this and many other things, proper quality time :D

I am thinking about getting a copy of Before I Die by Jenny Downham too, which is the story of a teenage girl who is dying of lukemia and her list of things to do before she dies, although I don't want to thoughly depress her. :think:

I caught a bit of the Radio 4 Book at Bedtime last week, and then saw it in Smith's 'buy one, get one half-price' - My Dear, I Wanted to Tell You by Louisa Young. I broke my 'buy nothing new', usually my books are from charity shops but I really wanted this one. Absolutely brilliant, and I haven't even finished it yet!

That's it! I'm not reading any more recommendations...... I'll have to send one of the kids to work up a chimney to pay for the books :wink::lol:

Just bought this one too :roll:

I bought it along with "Before I go to sleep" in Smiths. I suggested it for our next book club read so glad to hear it is good :D

There is a good one about the Amish community - Plain Truth

I loved this one too. I think it is her best, so interesting :D

am thinking about getting a copy of Before I Die by Jenny Downham too, which is the story of a teenage girl who is dying of lukemia and her list of things to do before she dies, although I don't want to thoughly depress her.
I

Get it - it's a brilliant book and life affirming rather than depressing. It is also quite funny. Obviously it is also very sad but the story is told in a beautiful way

I have read the book myself but in the course of trying not to double insulate my house with book cases it was sent to the charity shop a couple of years ago, I will look for a copy for her to read, because I felt that it was written in a very real way from the perspective of an otherwise normal teenager who just happened to have a terminal illness.

Testament by Alis Hawkins. :clap:

Set between 14th cent and current day about the building of and crisis at a college (not Ox or Cam but ficticious) IMHO a real cracker of a debut novel and recomended. The two stories interweave really well and I am having real trouble putting it down. Can't wait till boys are in bed and OH is out raising the average age at The Red Lion as is his wont on a Monday. THEN I'll have at least TWO WHOLE HOURS alone with it!! :dance:

I would like to highly recommend the Oscar Wilde mysteries series by Gyles Brandreth - yes,that Gyles Brandreth.

Don't be put off if you don't like Brandreth - these are stonking reads. Very witty,very historical & beautifully written & researched. They would make amazing movies :P

The first one is linked HERE

I guarantee that you will love it & download all the others too - I read them all in one fell swoop :lol:

I have just finished Oscar Wilde and the Candlelight Murders. It was marvellous. I'll definitely be reading more in the series.

I've been meaning to recommend 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin. I devoured it and once I started it I pretty much neglected my house and family.

It is dark, scary and worrying and sometimes a bit gruesome but its also exciting and magical.

The author's daughter told him that his books were boring and he asked her what she would like him to write about. She said she wanted a story about a girl who saves the world. It's a trilogy and I have to wait until August for the second part. I miss the first book, I was totally immersed in it.

I would like to highly recommend the Oscar Wilde mysteries series by Gyles Brandreth - yes,that Gyles Brandreth.

Don't be put off if you don't like Brandreth - these are stonking reads. Very witty,very historical & beautifully written & researched. They would make amazing movies :P

The first one is linked HERE

I guarantee that you will love it & download all the others too - I read them all in one fell swoop :lol:

I have just finished Oscar Wilde and the Candlelight Murders. It was marvellous. I'll definitely be reading more in the series.

So glad you liked it :P

It took me by surprise how well it was written,as I am no fan of Gyles Brandreth.....but he just 'got' the characters beautifully.

it would make a fantastic TV series 8)

So glad you liked it :P

It took me by surprise how well it was written,as I am no fan of Gyles Brandreth.....but he just 'got' the characters beautifully.

it would make a fantastic TV series 8)

I agree with both your points. Inside my head it was Stephen Fry as Oscar :D

Just finished Forever is Over by Calvin Wade - £1.74 on Kindle.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Forever-Is-Over-ebook/dp/B006EAMOUY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329779527&sr=8-1

Great read, an emotional rollercoaster of a story with totally believable characters. The book was also great trip down memory lane as it contains many references to TV programmes, historical events, shops etc from my younger days. The only downside was the terrible grammatical and typographical errors which at some points nearly made me give up reading it, glad I didn't though, I wonder if the typographical errors are just on the kindle version?

:)

Yes,they probably are.

I believe that in some cases they run a book through a program to make it Kindle friendly,but it throws up problems of its own....I recently had this with a book too.

Make sure you contact Amazon & complain,as you should be refunded,& unless they are told by people,they will never know.

I am reading 'The Hunger Games' at the moment & am finding it really hard to put down :D

I am sure someone on here recommended it to me - Snowy maybe? - anyway thanks,I am really loving it.

I am halfway through this - isn't it amazing. Reading it while eating my breakfast this morning - very anti-social book :lol:

Reminds me a bit of the Black Magicians Trilogy (in the sense of a young girl discovering herself)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magicians-Guild-Black-Magician-Trilogy/dp/1841499609/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329815592&sr=1-2 which I absolutely loved