Cinnamon

Book recommendations

Thanks for that - duly downloaded :P

I am reading something quite wonderful at the moment: LOST CHRISTMAS

I have only just started it,but am finding it very hard to put down - it is beautiful,sad & funny all at the same time.

Of course I have no idea how it will work out in the end,but first impressions are very,very favourable,plus it has some great reviews on the Amazon page :P

I have only just started it,but am finding it very hard to put down - it is beautiful,sad & funny all at the same time.

Of course I have no idea how it will work out in the end,but first impressions are very,very favourable,plus it has some great reviews on the Amazon page :P

I looked at the book but having watched it over Christmas chose something else! Eddie Izzard was in it. I really enjoyed it but not sure how close it is to the book.

I've posted this in the Kindle thread but in case it's of interest to anyone not following that thread ....

I've just discovered that Edinburgh City Libraries have an e-book section where you can download books for free to your Kindle etc or computer :D . Not read one yet as I'm still getting to grips with how it works but it looks promising. They have "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" (recommended on the Book Recommendations thread!) so I think I'll start with that one.

May be worth checking out your council's library to see if they do it too :D .

Warning for multi Kindle households - I've just downloaded this book - to my YS's kindle :doh: Oh well, he might enjoy it too. We'll just have to swap Kindles for a while :roll:

Warning for multi Kindle households - I've just downloaded this book - to my YS's kindle :doh: Oh well, he might enjoy it too. We'll just have to swap Kindles for a while :roll:

I think he might enjoy it, it's a good story. Before I go to sleep is number 1 in the Kindle bestsellers list! Obviously the Omlet effect :-D. From Aberystwyth with love by Malcolm Pryce is the daily deal. I really enjoy this series but have read this one :(

I think that if you go to your 'manage my Kindle' page,you should be able to isolate the book & get it sent to where you want it to go.

I would like to recommend ME BEFORE YOU BY JOJO MOYES

It is a story about a girl who loses her job & becomes a carer for a disabled man.,turning his life upside down in the process.

It is chick lit,but its smarter than most out there,& has a great twist to the ending. It is very well written & obviously well researched too but not mawkish at all,more quirky & touching.

£3.99 at the moment for the Kindle edition :)

On the strength of the recommendations here I've just downloaded Before I go Sleep - thanks folks!

Ive just finished this tonight, and yes, its a brilliant read, never knew how it was going to end. Totally loved it!

Really glad you enjoyed it. It was reviewed on Channel 4's book club programme recently. I have just finished Room, which is about a 5 year old boy who has lived all his life in a room with his mother who had been abducted. It was given to me by a friend who really loved it but it would not have been the sort of book I would have selected. I started reading thinking I hated it, probably because of the horror of the situation. However it soon became a page turner and I was keen to find the outcome.

Just happened to tootle over to Amazon to have a look at Room (I've already been directed to Jack Reacher books by another thread on this forum today ... :wall: ) Anyway, just thought I'd mention that the Kindle version is only 94p, bit of a bargain if you have a Kindle (which I don't but might just have to remedy that :whistle: )

Since getting my kindle for christmas I have gone reading crazy!! Currently reading 'Birdsong' and 'before I go to sleep'.

Downloaded Peter James 'dead Simple' for 99p and thought it was fab, also found 'The woman before me' by Ruth Dugdall a little creepy.

Love the fact I can carry loads of books with me at one time!!

I've just finished The Seige by Helen Dunmore, a moving but unsentimental novel about the seige of Leningra which I recommend. Also read Before I Go To Sleep, ( but predicted the end..so a bit of a fail for me sorry..) Loving my Kindle generally though and getting through many more books than before!

I've just finished The Seige by Helen Dunmore, a moving but unsentimental novel about the seige of Leningra which I recommend. Also read Before I Go To Sleep, ( but predicted the end..so a bit of a fail for me sorry..) Loving my Kindle generally though and getting through many more books than before!

I too would recommend The Seige - when I think back to how she decribes what they ate! I do not have a KIndle but an iPad instead and find that I am reading far more books than previously!!

For those who loves the Shardlake/CJ Sansom books I really recomend Sacred Treason by James Forrester - set in Elizabeth 1st era its pacey and very very readable. :dance:

Really enjoyed this... maybe not quite as much as a Shardlake,as I probably have more invested in the characters,but a good read nonetheless.

I would like to highly recommend the Oscar Wilde mysteries series by Gyles Brandreth - yes,that Gyles Brandreth.

Don't be put off if you don't like Brandreth - these are stonking reads. Very witty,very historical & beautifully written & researched. They would make amazing movies :P

The first one is linked HERE

I guarantee that you will love it & download all the others too - I read them all in one fell swoop :lol: