Cinnamon

Book recommendations

My kids love these books (The Hunger Games), especially my ED. Her and her friends are bursting for the film to come out. She keeps telling me to give them a read, so I will now. The important question is; are you team Peeter or team Melark? :lol:

The book I'd like to recommend is Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde. I meant to do this as my chickeny book club choice, but forgot until I saw it again *doh* I loved his Ayre Affair series and want to read some of his other series. They are really original books and really funny and interesting. Shades of Grey is an excellent book which I keep trying to get my hubby to read *sigh*

I would like to highly recommend the Oscar Wilde mysteries series by Gyles Brandreth - yes,that Gyles Brandreth.

Don't be put off if you don't like Brandreth - these are stonking reads. Very witty,very historical & beautifully written & researched. They would make amazing movies

I will keep an eye out for these too. Always on the look for new books.

I've been meaning to recommend 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin. I devoured it and once I started it I pretty much neglected my house and family.

It is dark, scary and worrying and sometimes a bit gruesome but its also exciting and magical.

The author's daughter told him that his books were boring and he asked her what she would like him to write about. She said she wanted a story about a girl who saves the world. It's a trilogy and I have to wait until August for the second part. I miss the first book, I was totally immersed in it.

I agree patsylabrador...I really enjoyed (if that is the right word?) this book..it was gripping..so much so that I could forgive a couple of slightly convenient reappearances by certain characters.....

The Hunger Games looks good and I will try it ...

Edited to add...as do the Oscar Wilde Mysteries...but do you have to read them in Giles Brandryth's (sp?) voice ?? :D

Not a novel, but I am really enjoying dipping into The Etymologicon by Mark Forsyth...it's a jolly and amusing meander through the origins of many common words and expressions, which will have you boring your nearest and dearest with interesting facts for many months to come :D For example did you know that a Derrick (as in system of pulleys used for loading stuff on trucks /boats etc) is named after the sixteenth century rapist who invented it? No neither did I. He was apparently given his freedom by the Earl of Essex provided he agreed to be an executioner and in so being, he was such a nasty horrid person that he invented a system of ropes and pulleys for hanging people.. and that his how the name came about. I bought the book when it was in the Kindle sale for 99p and thoroughly recommend it....(or perhaps I should just get out more? :wink: )

I have been quite pleasantly surprised by some of the Kindle Daily Deals. Recently read Last Train from Liguria which I couldn't put down. I like the Daily Deal as it is a good way of finding new titles which I wouldn't normally try or even in some cases know about.

Currently reading another one that was a Daily Deal which has started off promisingly, it's called In the Meantime. I have a Gyles Brandreth one ready following the recommendations here :lol: .

just a note to say I am desperately searching for a cheap hard back copy of A bird in he tree by Elizabeth Goudge. Or her trilogy the Elliots of Damerosehay.

I thought I had got one on ebay but they withdrew after I had made my paypal payment because I didn't reach the reserve! Well it didn't say it had one...although the buy it now price was extortionate.

If anyone has a copy they don't want can they let me know? Its an old book...published in the 60's or 70's so it might be in your mum or grandmas loft!

just a note to say I am desperately searching for a cheap hard back copy of A bird in he tree by Elizabeth Goudge. Or her trilogy the Elliots of Damerosehay.

I thought I had got one on ebay but they withdrew after I had made my paypal payment because I didn't reach the reserve! Well it didn't say it had one...although the buy it now price was extortionate.

If anyone has a copy they don't want can they let me know? Its an old book...published in the 60's or 70's so it might be in your mum or grandmas loft!

Have you tried www.abebooks.co.uk? When I looked, there were quite a lot of sellers willing to sell this book, and the cheapest I could see was £2.44 plus £1.99 shipping.

I have just read a lovely book called Meet me at the cupcake cafe by Jenny Colgan. I loved her earlier books, but after a couple I went off her writing style. This however, was a really lovely read. Took me 3 days on and off and I just loved it. Perfect for a spring day with a cuppa and a cupcake (maybe not the best book if you are dieting. There is an awful lot of cupcake and various other yummy things mentioned :lol: )

They so often are,aren't they? :lol:

I must urge everyone to read 'The Hunger Games' before seeing the movie - it (& its follow ups) are some of the most compelling books I have ever read, & although I have high hopes for the movie I know that it can't be anywhere near as good as the book :roll:

I agree about The Cupcake Cafe book too - lovely gentle reading,very sweet indeed :D

Just finished The Dress by Sophie Nicholls which was very easy reading and enjoyable. She has been accused of using the idea and feel of Chocolat as a writing style, and perhaps it is a bit like that, but as someone who loved Chocolat I really don't mind a bit more of the same....Also it was only 99p on Kindle when I bought it...

Also just finished The Knitting Circle by Ann Hood which was recommended for the Chicken Lovers Book Group...although perhaps the format of the book is a bit predictable, I found it very readable, and it made me cry too....another easy read that I whipped through in a few days....

Now reading The End of Mr Y by Scarlett Thomas, (I read POPCO ages ago and found it thought provoking)...this is the same and I'm enjoying that too so far (about a third of the way through)....

Since getting a Kindle for my birthday a couple of weeks ago I've started to get into reading again. I love the Nicci French books and would highly recommend those and also P J Tracy if you are into mystery thriller kinds of books. I also read 'Before I Go To Sleep' and found it good but a bit confusing too as it seemed to jump back and forth in time too much. A friend of mine is also reading it and has pretty much guessed the ending right from the start :lol:

I've just finished Singing bird by Roisin McAuley and really enjoyed it. I picked it up Friday afternoon and finished it this morning :oops: She came to talk at my local library recently where I bought her latest book French Letters which I also enjoyed. She's been compared to Maeve Binchy which I can see although her books feel more contemporary.

Her books would be great beach reads. The are very much family secrets and set in part in Ireland. I particularly enjoyed Singing Bird as I knew all the locations in Ireland, the England location was Reading. :D

I have just read THE MEMOIRS OF AN IMAGINARY FRIEND , & would like to say that it was one of the most wonderful books I have ever read.

It is written about a boy with Aspergers (I guess) from his imaginary friends point of view....I you liked 'The curious incident of the dog in the night time', you will love this!

I have also,upon my daughters recommendation,read THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER for the first time. It passed my by totally before,but is being released as a movie starring Emma Watson soon,so I am glad I read it. It was marvellous.

I have just read THE MEMOIRS OF AN IMAGINARY FRIEND , & would like to say that it was one of the most wonderful books I have ever read.

It is written about a boy with Aspergers (I guess) from his imaginary friends point of view....I you liked 'The curious incident of the dog in the night time', you will love this!

Sarah, I have just read your review and the link, this book is talking to me and right up my street... I'm trying to resist downloading it right now as I have just started a book and will end up abandoning it for this if I do. Thank you

Well, I was browsing through manybooks.net and found a book called Tutt and Mr Tutt, by Arthur Train. I downloaded it on the strength of its four full marks reviews, and was hugely pleasantly surprised; it's absolutely delightful. It's well written, inventive and funny, and by the time I finished it, it felt like an old friend. It's a gem.

There. Is that glowing enough praise?