Cinnamon

Book recommendations

I have been trying since the start of March to buy 50 shades of grey by EL James...ebay, amazon, smiths, waterstones etc...they have always been sold out .

So imagine to my dismay and rules of sods law that i just find a copy on amazon and buy it on Monday, and today in Smiths they have All 3 in on buy one get one half price.... just typical . All my family and friends have been going on about them.They have been passing the book around but i live too far north to send it on ( they won't let go of it really. lol.)

Even rumours of a film to be made. Still i have a brand new pristine no coffee cup stains on it to enjoy..At last.

I have just read a lovely book called Meet me at the cupcake cafe by Jenny Colgan. I loved her earlier books, but after a couple I went off her writing style. This however, was a really lovely read. Took me 3 days on and off and I just loved it. Perfect for a spring day with a cuppa and a cupcake (maybe not the best book if you are dieting. There is an awful lot of cupcake and various other yummy things mentioned :lol: )

If you like Jenny Colgan - you might enjoy Trisha Ashley. Just read Chocolate Shoes and Wedding Blues :D:cry::lol:

Give her a go, again her books are light reading but very hard to put down.

I am a big Tricia Ashley fan - love her stuff. it is perfect poolside or garden reading :D

BUT if you do give her a go,start at the beginning of the 'Sticklepond' books,or you may get a bit lost!

I also love Paige Toon,& her books flow nicely from one to the nest too,with little references to past characters & places.

Start with 'Lucy in the Sky' & go from there 8)

They are a bit racier than Tricia Ashley,but I think they are just fab.

I just want to know who they will cast as Christian?

I actually found the books a bit odd - racy for sure & titillating if you like,but not very well written & rather dull on the non sexy bits :?

I've only read the first book on my Kindle so far, but have downloaded the others.

If I was casting for the film I would have the guy that plays The Mentalist as Christian as he has that twinkle in his eye and seems to fit how I see the character :wink:

I am enjoying Lisa Jewell's books at the moment, I have read The Truth About Melody Brown, and am part way through Ralph's Party.

I loved her book Vince & Joy and I also loved The Truth about Melody Brown, but I wasn't so keen on Ralphs party or the follow up. I mentioned liking Jenny Colgan - I went off her earlier books, but she seems to have changed her writing style which is why I like the cupcake cafe one. I shall have to see what else she has written and see if I like. Another good female author is Marian Keyes. Very funny, and sad, and wonderful :D

Haven't read 50 Shades...was put off by Private Eye review that suggested the writing was dodgy, and that seems to be confirmed by Cinnamon.....can't be doing with bad writing no matter how saucy!

I am currently reading the Red Tent, which I know has had great reviews on here, and I am sort of enjoying it, but to be honest I'm half way through and a bit bogged down by it at the moment, I will plow on. The last book that really thrilled me was "The Importance of Being Kennedy" by Laurie Graham, and I'm looking forward to reading more by her as I really like her style.

The last book that really thrilled me was "The Importance of Being Kennedy" by Laurie Graham, and I'm looking forward to reading more by her as I really like her style.
I like Laurie Graham too although have only read a couple. I loved the Future Homemakers of America. Recently finished The Kashmir Shawl. Slow to start but then couldn't put it down. A good holiday read.

The NEW Deborah Harkness is out :dance: (sequel to Discovery of Witches as per the first posting on this thread :clap: !) Its called Shadow of Night and available on Amazon for a very small consideration with free postage :oops: ! Arrived yesterday and has been added to my pile of 'to read' but think I may sneak it to the top when I have finished my current book :lol: ............which is The Key by Simon Toyne in itself a sequel to his fantastically fast moving and very readable debut novel Sanctus.

There are never enough hours in the day to read - and fewer still now the school hols have started :boohoo::wall: !!

I've just read Obsessive Compulsive Cycling DIsorder by Dave Barter 79p on Kindle. If you are into cycling or have ever been into cycling this is such a wonderful read. Hits home on a lot of things!! Very witty, amusing, funny and entertaining.

I'm pretty sure that Patsylabrador put a heads up for Rivers of London on here some time ago...I just wanted to second that...I'm reading it at the moment and enjoying it...it's amusing and engaging at the same time..if you enjoyed Harry Potter, and you enjoyed Life on Mars it has a flavour of both!

Me Before You - Jojo Moyes. Picked it up when on holiday to read by the pool, looked like a typical chic lit, holiday read; don't be fooled by the cover. Superb book. Passed it on to my sister after getting home, and she has just phoned me now to say how wonderful it was. After seeing her reaction her OH is reading it, even though it is a pink book!

Please excuse me for resurrecting an old thread but I wanted to share :D ...I know quite a few on here are Downton Fans...well in a similar(ish) vein, I have just started the Cazalet series by Elizabeth Jane Howard and although I have to say I don't usually do Family Saga I have really enjoyed the first book in the series, The Light Years which is set between the first and second world war.It's very sympathetically written and I love the way the life of the children and women are portrayed so well....although certainly not of the priveleged class..I found it easy to identify with the spirit of the characters.. and hope those of you that give it a try from this do too!