craftyhunnypie

How does Pinterest work?

I stumbled on this through Attic24's blog. I clicked & typed in crochet - wow! What gorgeous stuff it led me to. It made me have the wanties for some patterns, so I then followed it through to Etsy & purchased a couple.

But I'm waiting for an invite, so I can go on Pinterest properly. But what is it all about? Will there be free patterns & craft ideas on there. Apart from looking up pictures of homemade things, what else will it do for me?

Emma.x

I'm not too sure how it works. I thought I'd 'Pinned' a load of wanties (love that word!) but seems I hadn't created a board on which to pin them. Makes sense really, now I come to think of it :doh: I can invite you if you'd like me to. Not sure how to though..... I am bluekarin on there too :D

I got pinterest about a week ago, it's fab. I requested an invite, it took about a week to arrive. Then I set up a few boards (craft projects, knitting, etc), and downloaded the "pin it" button. So, whenever you see an image/video you like, you click on the pin it button you've downloaded, select the board you want it to go and then it's pinned!

You can also follow other people if you like their boards, and you can get followers yourself. People can view and like your pins, and can follow you too. Oh, and you can re-pin other people's pins.

I hope that explains it a bit, I'm starting to get the hang of it now! :D

Please can I go back to the Middle Ages :( ? I could just about cope with a quill pen....feeling totally inadequate as this all sounds HORRENDOUSLY techie :roll: . I've only ever sent one text and those three lines took 25 mins because I couldn't work out how to 'move on' to the next letter :wall: . OH is constantly amazed that I manage to operate the car :lol: .

Dare I ask what this is all about...or should I just go and lie down in a darkened room??!! :think:

PS I am 'only' 47!!! :shh:

Dare I ask what this is all about...or should I just go and lie down in a darkened room??!! :think:

It's a website that allows you to create virtual pinboards. It's designed to help you organise images and videos that you find on the internet, and then have somewhere to keep them all. Examples they give are for planning weddings or changing the interior of your home - you create a pinboard for the specific subject, and download a "pin it" button, whenever you see an image you'd like to collect and save, you click the "pin it" button, and the image is saved onto your board, for you to go back and look at a later date. You can then click on the picture on your board, and it will take you back to the website where you found it, very good for organising/planning things, or buying products!

You can also "follow" other people, and re-pin (use their images to put on your own board) their images.

I hope that makes it a bit clearer!

Ali's Girls...THANKS! You just made me feel soooooo much better :lol: ! Seriously, I often feel that I am being left way behind, esp when I have to ask OS (7) how to do things on the comp etc :wall: . Don't know what I'll do about getting a job when YS goes to school....who wants a Luddite dinosaur these days? (Maybe I'll try The Natural History Museum 8) .)

I see it like a virtual s"Ooops, word censored!" book. The home page looks really pretty, if that's the images you choose, and then you an click on the pictures to get tutorials on how to make things. Sometimes when searching for things using Google (or other search engines) I find it can take me ages to find what I am looking for. This way, I feel I am seeing more of what is out there on the internet. It's taking me a little while to get the hang of it - the first few pages I pinned, didn't actually appear on my home page, but I think I am getting the hang of it now. I have the Pin It tab in my bookmarks bar so I can pin away to my hearts content :D

So it's like an inspiration / mood board? Not sure what I can get out of it. Sorry to sound negative, but I wondered what all the hype of it was & am a bit disappointed to find it's just a virtual pin board. I did expect to find loads of instructions on how to make things. Ooops. :oops:

Emma.x

Surely the difference is that you see other people's 'virtual pin boards' as well? I also found this from Attic 24's blog, spent half an hour last night ... and decided that it's a habit I had better not get into!

Yes I really like it. It helps me keep less s"Ooops, word censored!"s of paper round the house: I'd love to be much more paper free! It's also great for finding new things. You follow people and then see what they pin, and can click through to the source. So I've found some lovely recipes on blogs I'd never heard of, for example. Then it's much easier to skim through and find your virtual notes than some great bulging box file.