Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....2

I had an unexpected drama this morning. I was out with Tango for our morning walk, which she decided to finish off with a flourish by chasing a rabbit. A chap I often see out in the mornings said to me, 'Looks like you'll be waiting some time for her'. By this time the rabbit had disappeared into the undergrowth and I could see Tango so I replied, 'No, it's okay, I can see her now'. Famous last words.

By the time I got over to where I saw Tango, she had disappeared again, so I called her. Nothing. Assuming she'd also disappeared into the undergrowth, I went round the corner where you can get a better view of the scrubland she'd gone into. No sign of her. I called her again. Nothing. So I went back to where I started (we're talking less than 2 minutes passing since she chased the rabbit) to see the chap looking a bit worried and he told me Tango had headed off towards the main road :shock: as she couldn't see where I had gone. He'd tried to catch her, but she wouldn't come near him. So off I ran in pursuit. As I reached the main road, a woman (who clocked the lead in my hand and panicked face) pointed me in the direction she'd gone. A hundred yards or so further on I thankfully found her (heading home) - she'd got distracted by a bag of chips and stopped for a snack..... In the MIDDLE of the main road :shock: A lovely man had stopped his car, and the traffic, and was also unsuccessfully attempting to catch her. So I was able to call her over and put her back on the lead, phew! Profuse thanks given to the lovely man and one panicked dog and owner reunited.

I really could have done without that this morning!

:shock: good grief, hope your heart has stopped hammering H :?

It's those wormholes into parallel universes that I mentioned before; Cyrus regularly disappears through hedges on bunny chases. He's a single-minded womble when the chase is in him, so I don't let him off anywhere near roads, especially as both of them are capable 30mph in a nano-second :roll:

Thanks, we're all calm here now :D

I know exactly what you mean about the wormhole, it was most odd - one minute Tango was right in front of me, the next she'd gone without a trace!

The park doesn't even lead directly onto the main road, it's gated (she'd squeezed through) and then there's a long driveway down to the road which is where the first chap was trying to catch her. Poor girl panicked because she couldn't see me and must have thought I'd gone home without her. I'm slightly flattered she thinks I can move that quickly! :lol:

Next time I will remember to stay rooted to the spot and not even move an inch!

What a horrible start to the day :( You must have been so worried. Thank goodness she is ok.

That is one bonus of beach walks, you can see for miles. I am a bit concerned about the number of jellyfish on the sand at the moment. There seem to be two varieties and I can only assume they are not causing dogs any problems as there have been no reports about it. Thankfully Lara only tries the occasional sniff (with me screaming 'leave') and is not interested in picking them up as some dogs may.

I'm slightly flattered she thinks I can move that quickly! :lol:

Sorry, that did make me laugh. But what a scary moment! And then to see her in the road! It worries me that Neela would do something like that. Makes me nervous if I can't see her for a few seconds let alone minutes! Worse than kids sometime, aren't they :roll: Hope she is being a good girl now and our heart has returned to its normal beat.

I know how you feel with the road thing L_B; when Ruby was little, I used to walk her off-lead in our park, which is bordered by fairly quiet side roads. One morning, she was set-upon by two feisty Jack Russells and she ran away; she wouldn't come to my calls, so I ran off to find her - she had run over one of the roads, but was sat obediently at the kerb on t'other side as she'd been taught. My two move so fast that no driver would have stood a chance in avoiding her :?

I always keep them on lead in that park now, mainly because of feisty dogs which will chase anything.

Oh scary stuff, DM. These pooches do know how to worry us. I'm just cross with myself because if I hadn't have moved to look for Tango, then I would have been where she expected to find me when she did come back, and she wouldn't have panicked and run off looking for me.

Still, thankfully on this occasion there was no harm done. I will just have to learn to exercise a little more patience.

That must have been a heart-stopping moment :shock: . Thank goodness all was well in the end :D .

Riley often used to go home without us if we lost him for more than a few minutes :roll: . He was very good at stopping at roads when I was with him but I imagine he just trotted across the 2 roads to get home (thankfully quiet residential roads, but still!).

my youngest's school is on different times three times a week. Starts at 8.20am and Mon & Wed finishes at 2.30pm (I know, don't even say anything) Tues & Thurs finishes at 3.30pm and Fri 3pm. Her school does a lot of after school enrichments so they can end up there until 5pm, but most don't. I was at the same school a few years ago *ahem* and it was from 8.40am until 3.55pm everyday. Wish it still was.

And they wonder why standards are slipping :shock:

My younger two are at grammar schools, one starts at 8.30 and finishes at 3.30 and the other starts at 8.40 and finishes at 3.40. The local comp starts at 8.50 and finishes at 3.00. I think that the extra half an hour or so each day over the course of a year has got to make a difference to their learning. I don't know why the hours have been reduced over the years. The school which I attended was from 8.45 until 3.45 and was a rough comp, surely children are better off being kept occupied for a larger chunk of the day, then there is less chance of them causing trouble elsewhere.

defrosted fridge freezer compartment today and left what resembled a small ice berg on lawn to melt. The cats looked at it suspiciously and then licked it - must have been refreshing on such a hot day. Now got room for the plums and apples I need to stew. had to throw some bits out which had been in there a couple of decades :whistle: what a slob I am.

Sorry I was laughing at the fact you would have to eat some of the cakes in your freezer to make room for hedgerow stuff. Sounds hard to me - but if you need any help.................. :wink: Our Hungarian HCA at work bought in some scrummy cake her boyfriend had made. I think I married the wrong nationality - OH cooks but doesnt bake. :lol:

Just come in from outdoor chores and lit the woodburner; it's not actually cold inside but I feel cooler now I've stopped heaving stuff about.

Good luck to Rosie for tomorrow; she's been selected to take part in the qualifying run and swim timed trials at Loughborough for the East of England Sports Academy Triathlon Team. It's where Rebecca Adlington and others train, so a real experience for her. A couple of them from her club have been chosen, so I hope they have a good day... I don't think any of them have done a lot of training through the hols :roll: